Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending children on a mission

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I have a co-worker (non-LDS) who has told me that he wishes he could send his boys on missions. He thinks the U.S. should require every able-bodied 19 year old to take a two-year mission of some sort - religious, peace corps, teach for America, military, etc. Not a bad idea.
    I completely agree. Having kids do service of different kinds as an obligation for their nation, religion, helping the poor in other nations, etc, would propel us forward as a nation. The sense of cohesion, of how you can make a difference in a bigger context, and get some discipline along the way, are really needed among our youth, and give us leaders in the future who are more grounded, less prone to shenanigans, and maybe better to work together for the betterment of their children.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I have a co-worker (non-LDS) who has told me that he wishes he could send his boys on missions. He thinks the U.S. should require every able-bodied 19 year old to take a two-year mission of some sort - religious, peace corps, teach for America, military, etc. Not a bad idea.
    I'm for it especially since I am past that age and don't have to do it anymore.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Neighbor open house is done. He had his final interview with stake president last night ( sort a last chance to get whatever out of the way that needs i guess. ) It took five minutes. Tonight is family only time and tommorow night at 8 he gets set apart. Five AM on Wed we leave our house for the 10 minute drive to the airport. My brother and sister are going to pick him up and take him to lunch and then drop him off. We did get to have a google hangout with other uncles and aunts and my parents who are on a mission in Uraguay. I think he is finally ready to get on with it.

Thanks for the well wishes. It is an exciting time. I am really interested to see how he deals with everything. Also David Archuleta is in his mission and his female cousins are very interested for the boy to meet him . They have all said they hope he gets to be companions so they girls can meet him someday.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    Also David Archuleta is in his mission and his female cousins are very interested for the boy to meet him . They have all said they hope he gets to be companions so they girls can meet him someday. : )
    Sounds like he may have a good pickup line when he gets home. Congratulations to you and your son. I like all your updates. Keep them coming.

Sent him off this morning. My brother was texting me the controller audio while he was waiting to pick him up. They were going to have some lunch and then be dropped off in Provo. Did not get emotional at all until i went to dearelder.com and sent him a note hoping he would get some mail today or tommrow. For a brief time I sat and stared at my screen and wondered if i had done enough. Did I give him enough to make him strong enough to make it. I just sent him this :

Hope this finds you well. I am very proud of the person you are becoming. Missionary work is actual work. Keep you ears
    and heart open and do not be afraid to try. Always remember that no matter what happens you have a family that loves you ALOT. Dad

Sent him off this morning. My brother was texting me the controller audio while he was waiting to pick him up. They were going to have some lunch and then be dropped off in Provo. Did not get emotional at all until i went to dearelder.com and sent him a note hoping he would get some mail today or tommrow. For a brief time I sat and stared at my screen and wondered if i had done enough. Did I give him enough to make him strong enough to make it. I just sent him this :

Hope this finds you well. I am very proud of the person you are becoming. Missionary work is actual work. Keep you ears
    and heart open and do not be afraid to try. Always remember that no matter what happens you have a family that loves you ALOT. Dad
    I've been there, arizonaute. Such a feeling of uprooting, separation, and hope, combined with intense pride! He's lucky to have you as his dad. Enjoy!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Almost two weeks in. Received one letter and a couple of short emails. He likes his MTC comp and he said he likes the food. ( I think he likes having cereal and milk as we don't in house). He has seen his cousin at the big devotional at the Marriott center. He then said he felt uncomfortable about being around all the byu blue there. He is already starting to Spanglish a bit in his emails. So far so good.

He should be getting on a plane around noon 30 and is going to Dallas , A 4 hour layover then on to Santiago . Switch planes and get to Orsorno sometime in the later morning tomorrow. On a side note, getting them in the mtc and paying for bags and supplies is a lot more than I had thought. I look forward the money windfall that comes with just paying the monthly cost.

He should be getting on a plane around noon 30 and is going to Dallas , A 4 hour layover then on to Santiago . Switch planes and get to Orsorno sometime in the later morning tomorrow. On a side note, getting them in the mtc and paying for bags and supplies is a lot more than I had thought. I look forward the money windfall that comes with just paying the monthly cost.

What is the monthly cost up to these days, if you don't mind me asking? It's been over 10 years since my step-son got home, and over 7 years since I was a ward financial clerk. If I had to guess, I would say $450/month?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    What is the monthly cost up to these days, if you don't mind me asking? It's been over 10 years since my step-son got home, and over 7 years since I was a ward financial clerk. If I had to guess, I would say $450/month?
    Still $400, AFAIK.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

yep $400. I pay $200 each paycheck to make it easier to keep up. its all the extra shots, bags, books, baggage charges, and treat requests.

I saw some missionaries in the dfw international terminal today. In fact with a 4 hour layover he's prob still here. Gate D22?

if you saw a strapping blonde haired lad talking to his mom on the phone for a bit then yes.

First email from the field. He is in a town south of Orsorno. His companion is from Gilbert, AZ and knows some people in common with the boy. He sounds upbeat. He is also in the branch presidency as well. That should be fun for him.

Arizonaute

So great. My in-laws speak of their missionaries in Osorno like their own children. They always have missionaries over at the house. I wish your son the best. I apologize that we were not able to touch base before he left. They are leaving on another mission in January working with missionaries in Span, we are excited to visit!

Thanks. I had good intentions to get in touch with them but time just flew by.

Really enjoy reading this thread.

Our oldest son, Skyler, received his mission call today. He'll be serving in the Florida Tallahassee Mission. He goes into the MTC in October.

He's pretty excited about it. One of his best friends in our ward, a young woman, is serving in the same mission. She entered the MTC today.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Congrats to him, Garth.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Congrats to him, Garth.
    Thanks, JiC. I'll pass the congrats along to him.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Thanks, JiC. I'll pass the congrats along to him.
    And congrats/condolances to you and the misses.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Our oldest son, Skyler, received his mission call today. He'll be serving in the Florida Tallahassee Mission. He goes into the MTC in October.

He's pretty excited about it. One of his best friends in our ward, a young woman, is serving in the same mission. She entered the MTC today.
    That is great news! He will get there right as hurricane season is coming to an end. I hope you send him with lots of ute gear to wear on p-days.

congrats to spawn of Garth
    Last edited by arizonaute; 07-27-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: misspell

Maybe if you pray hard enough it'll be a Braves-O's world series in 2015, and you can make the appropriate detour when you pick him up.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I have commented elsewhere on the awesomeness of this news. I will repeat those feelings here!

--Yeats

one month in the field. He is south of Osorno in a town called Freisa ( spelling might be wrong). In the branch presidency . Got to teach a lesson and give a talk back to back. ( I taught classes a lot and spoke once a month for most of my mission). It rains a lot.

splits can take you to cool places

JL near water Aug 2013.jpg

I cant figure out how to size it down so mods can delete if this is too big

splits can take you to cool places

JL near water Aug 2013.jpg

I cant figure out how to size it down so mods can delete if this is too big
    Looks perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

--Yeats