Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending children on a mission

On Monday we send our oldest son to the MTC in Utah. His grand parents will pick him up and spend all day Tuesday with him hanging out with uncles, aunts and cousins. Six weeks from Wednesday he will head to the Italy, Milan mission. He will be a great missionary and is definitely ready to go. But he is a bit of an emotional wreck right now. He is and has always been a very social kid. A week ago he worked his last shift. Last Sunday we had an Open House for him. This week has been hectic with errands. Regardless, he has managed to fill each night with friends and activities. But it all came to a head tonight.

It's Thanks Giving weekend here. Tonight, we went to dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant as a family. Afterwards he desperately wanted to go see his "last movie for two years." His parents and younger brothers are exhausted. Non of his friends are available because of the holiday weekend. We have a lot of family coming over the next couple of days on top of turkey and all the trimmings. But I fear it won't be enough. He just wants to get gone. Pray for us. :-)
    Last edited by tooblue; 10-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    On Monday we send our oldest son to the MTC in Utah. His grand parents will pick him up and spend all day Tuesday with him hanging out with uncles, aunts and cousins. Six weeks from Wednesday he will head to the Italy, Milan mission. He will be a great missionary and is definitely ready to go. But he is a bit of an emotional wreck right now. He is and has always been a very social kid. A week ago he worked his last shift. Last Sunday we had an Open House for him. This week has been hectic with errands. Regardless, he has managed to fill each night with friends and activities. But it all came to a head tonight.

It's Thanks Giving weekend here. Tonight, we went to dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant as a family. Afterwards he desperately wanted to go see his "last movie for two years." His parents and younger brothers are exhausted. Non of his friends are available because of the holiday weekend. We have a lot of family coming over the next couple of days on top of turkey and all the trimmings. But I fear it won't be enough. He just wants to get gone. Pray for us. :-)
    My sister served in that mission about 15 years ago. As I'm sure you and your son are aware, he probably needs to go in with the perspective that he won't be seeing a lot of the people he teaches get baptized. As long as he can keep his head up through a lot of rejection he'll love it.
    Last edited by UBlender; 10-11-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    My sister served in that mission about 15 years ago. As I'm sure you and your son are aware, he probably needs to go in with the perspective that he won't be seeing a lot of the people he teaches get baptized. As long as he can keep his head up through a lot of rejection he'll love it.
    He is excited. We are excited for him. The anticipation of starting a new chapter in his life is a little overwhelming. I remember feeling that way too. Both my wife and I served our missions in France. We have done our best to prepare him for the rejection. But there is only so much you can say except work hard and be faithful.

The boy got a new comp. He is from Santiago, Chile. A couple of weeks ago he was a bit frustrated and I sent him a letter that said "welcome to missionary work" : ) . He is excited to have a native speaking comp. Should help his Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    The boy got a new comp. He is from Santiago, Chile. A couple of weeks ago he was a bit frustrated and I sent him a letter that said "welcome to missionary work" : ) . He is excited to have a native speaking comp. Should help his Spanish.
    It will. Much of the best Spanish I learned came in my final three months when I had a native Guatemalan companion. (He went on to become a mission president. Great guy.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

As a non LDS person it took me a bit to figure out why getting a new computer would help....and why a computer spoke a native language.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    As a non LDS person it took me a bit to figure out why getting a new computer would help....and why a computer spoke a native language.
    Rats. Another one is starting to crack the code. What now?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Rats. Another one is starting to crack the code. What now?
    I've known for some time. 36 years and they still ring my doorbell....

Sorry DU sometimes I slang when I shouldn't.

Well your nephew is going to the third best mission in the world, behind Rome and Catania (hat tip to Garthute). Milan is less Italian and more European than missions farther south (more industrial and less poverty) but he will love it.

Make sure that he takes advantage of every p-day to see something awesome, including soccer games. I went to a world cup qualifying match between Italia and England. It was absolutely crazy and a memory I will never forget. Lots of fantastic art museums. Lots of topless ladies on billboards.

He will have little "success" but will grow a lot as a person and will love the people. Congrats to your nephew and "in bocca al lupo!"

We took our oldest son to the MTC today. The six of us spent about an hour wandering around the Provo Temple grounds as a family. It was a perfect day for some photos to record the last few minutes with him before he heads off to Florida. We then drove to the MTC. After unloading his luggage and the happy but tearful goodbye hugs, five of us got back in the vehicle to go home. It was surreal driving away after dropping him off, knowing that we won't see him again for two years.

It was a rather emotional experience; one that I've not been through as a parent. I'm proud of him for making the decision to serve, but I'm really going to miss him.

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    We took our oldest son to the MTC today. The six of us spent about an hour wandering around the Provo Temple grounds as a family. It was a perfect day for some photos to record the last few minutes with him before he heads off to Florida. We then drove to the MTC. After unloading his luggage and the happy but tearful goodbye hugs, five of us got back in the vehicle to go home. It was surreal driving away after dropping him off, knowing that we won't see him again for two years.

It was a rather emotional experience; one that I've not been through as a parent. I'm proud of him for making the decision to serve, but I'm really going to miss him.

It is a tough moment to realize two years will pass. If you're like me it will get easier after a month or two. For me the first 6 weeks or so were really hard.

--Yeats

All the best Garth, I'm sure he will be great!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Great pics Garth. He will leave a boy and come back a young man. Best of luck to him and your family.

Good luck Garth. It's tough to see them go.

We are 5 months in. He is in the same place Fresia since he got there ( 3 months). He is on his second companion. This morning he sent a note asking about sports teams. First time he has asked about things going on at home. It reminded me I have not sent him a note in a few weeks as I usually cover that ground for him. We were able to make a short video using a webcam and each one of the kids got a minute to talk. Electronic correspondence is pretty cool.

We are 5 months in. He is in the same place Fresia since he got there ( 3 months). He is on his second companion. This morning he sent a note asking about sports teams. First time he has asked about things going on at home. It reminded me I have not sent him a note in a few weeks as I usually cover that ground for him. We were able to make a short video using a webcam and each one of the kids got a minute to talk. Electronic correspondence is pretty cool.
    A video is a great idea. I would have loved something like that when I was on my mission.

I remember when I tried to make a tape for my parents while on my mission. It tooks about three weeks to finally fill up the tape (it is harder than you think to do an interesting monologue for 90 minutes). About the same time that I got it finished I got a call from the mission president saying that my family was worried because they had not received a letter from me in several weeks. I had to sheepishly explain that I was trying to make a tape and so I didn't write during that time but I was sending off the tape right away. He thanked me for the explaination but told me going forward that I need to write even if I was making a tape so that my family knew what was going on.

So now a days using your phone or ipad to make a video for the missionary or vice-versa would be very simple and fun for both. Hey look son, we painted your room pink for your sister to use while you were gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    A video is a great idea. I would have loved something like that when I was on my mission.

I remember when I tried to make a tape for my parents while on my mission. It tooks about three weeks to finally fill up the tape (it is harder than you think to do an interesting monologue for 90 minutes). About the same time that I got it finished I got a call from the mission president saying that my family was worried because they had not received a letter from me in several weeks. I had to sheepishly explain that I was trying to make a tape and so I didn't write during that time but I was sending off the tape right away. He thanked me for the explaination but told me going forward that I need to write even if I was making a tape so that my family knew what was going on.

So now a days using your phone or ipad to make a video for the missionary or vice-versa would be very simple and fun for both. Hey look son, we painted your room pink for your sister to use while you were gone!
    I started out as a somewhat prolific writer -- when everything was new and exciting -- but after about a year I started having trouble thinking of things to write home about -- each week seemed just like the last one. I missed writing home one week and soon got letters from my parents chastising me. Well, I fired right back, chastising them for the weeks they missed writing me -- my father didn't write a single letter during the entire month of December -- the busiest time of the year at the family business, but still. Naturally, my parents didn't appreciate my response.

But I have to say that several months later, after the World Series earthquake, that I made an even bigger mistake. I didn't call home, because they said on the radio we should stay off the phones to keep them clear for emergency services. That, however, didn't stop my companion, so I asked him to have his parents call mine to tell them we were safe and sound, unfortunately, something got lost in translation, because after the call from my companion's parents, my folks were still unsure if we were safe and sound. I then spent the next week -- the quake happened the day before P-day -- writing a long journal entry with all the details of the quake and its aftermath. Only when I was done with that did I then write a long letter home with most of the info I had put in my journal.

It could have been worse, however. The next transfer I got a new companion, who told me about a problem he had. After the quake he and his flat mates slept in a tent, not just one night like my companion and I did, but for an entire month. But that would have been okay except for the fact he wrote about it in a letter home. Well, his parents called the mission president wanting to know why their son was living in a tent. The mission president then called the tent dwellers and gave them an earfull.

The first lesson, then, is always drop a short note in the mail -- it's email now, of course -- to at least let the folks know you are safe and sound. The second lesson is be careful what you include in your letters, some details they are better off not knowing about.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

The boy was notified he is moving to Osorno this week. He said near the mission office. He is also changing his p day to Sat ( this one was new to me). Hopefully it means better internet connection for the Christmas.
    Last edited by arizonaute; 11-19-2013 at 01:29 PM.

an excerpt from his letter today

"So I hit the six month mark in my mission. a quarter of the way done..... that is really sad. This Mission is the best decison I have made in my entire life. I can say that without a single doubt. I may get doors slammed in my face. I may have people make fun of me (happens alot, people make fun of me being a gringo) But I couldn't give two cares because it is a JOY to put on my badge and say to everyone, who will listen:

"Yo sè que yo estoy en la verdad. Yo sè que Jesucristo vive y que su iglesia La Iglesia de Jesucristo de Los Santos de Los Ultimos Dias es la unica iglesia verdadera aqui en la tierra. Yo sè que El Libro de Mormon es la palabra de Dios y que nosotros podemos acercarnos mas a Dios y Jesucristo mediante este Libro."
    I would love to say it is easy to work and walk for 6 hours a day but its not but what benefit would it be if it were easy? "

Bump day!
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

He is excited. We are excited for him. The anticipation of starting a new chapter in his life is a little overwhelming. I remember feeling that way too. Both my wife and I served our missions in France. We have done our best to prepare him for the rejection. But there is only so much you can say except work hard and be faithful.
    Like Romeo before him my son has been sent to Montova. He is very happy and adjusting well to missionary life. The branch boasts three active families and a handful of other saints who go to church each week. It reminds me a lot of my second area in France where there were only two active members and my companion was the Branch President. It's a small but beautiful part of the world. We are excited for him. Also, it appears his trainer is either from Highland Utah or that he graduated from Highland High school. We will speak to him next week via Skype and get more details obviously. Small, small world.

800px-Mantova_Skyline.jpg

Tooblue,

We just had a returned missionary from our stake speak this last Sunday. She served in Rome, so I went to talk to her after the meeting. I didn't realize that there are only two missions in Italy now: Milan and Rome. I don't know if there are any places (outside of the large cities) that are not absolutely beautiful in Northern Italy. Hopefully he can take a P-day down to Maranello and view the Ferrari factory and museum.

Like Romeo before him my son has been sent to Montova. He is very happy and adjusting well to missionary life. The branch boasts three active families and a handful of other saints who go to church each week. It reminds me a lot of my second area in France where there were only two active members and my companion was the Branch President. It's a small but beautiful part of the world. We are excited for him. Also, it appears his trainer is either from Highland Utah or that he graduated from Highland High school. We will speak to him next week via Skype and get more details obviously. Small, small world.

800px-Mantova_Skyline.jpg
    Romeo went to Mantua. I don't think they are the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Romeo went to Mantua. I don't think they are the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    In Italian it is *Mantova. In English it translates to Mantua.

*I keep spelling it incorrectly
    Last edited by tooblue; 12-18-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Tooblue,

We just had a returned missionary from our stake speak this last Sunday. She served in Rome, so I went to talk to her after the meeting. I didn't realize that there are only two missions in Italy now: Milan and Rome. I don't know if there are any places (outside of the large cities) that are not absolutely beautiful in Northern Italy. Hopefully he can take a P-day down to Maranello and view the Ferrari factory and museum.
    Yep, the Church closed the Catania Mission about 6 years ago. It was always smaller in number than Roma and Milano, but I guess the Brethren decided that it was no longer viable. It makes me wonder if the number of missionaries called to Roma has increased significantly because there needs to be about 120 missionaries to cover the cities in the South.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

In Italian it is *Mantova. In English it translates to Mantua.

*I keep spelling it incorrectly
    Mantua (Italian: Mantova [ˈmantova] ( listen); Emilian and Latin: Mantua) is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, and capital of the province of the same name. Mantua's historic power and influence under the Gonzaga family made it one of the main artistic, cultural, and especially musical hubs of Northern Italy and the country as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantua

Mantua (Italian: Mantova [ˈmantova] ( listen); Emilian and Latin: Mantua) is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, and capital of the province of the same name. Mantua's historic power and influence under the Gonzaga family made it one of the main artistic, cultural, and especially musical hubs of Northern Italy and the country as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantua
    Mantua is a speed trap on the way to Logan.

Last week I asked for more detail from my son in his emails home. This week he sent the following ...

"Its Febrary 5th. The rain has continued its unrelenting attack on us, and has soaked us to the bone. I am wet. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I have another pair of Br. Misseri's crazy socks stuffed away in my backpack. I just hope the water hasn't soaked through that as well. I fear my planner has all but been reduced to a soggy clump of wet paper. Beside me sits our homeless friend, Silvio, he is eating a Bagel while watching Captain America. We often see him here in our tiny Internet cafe. He is a pleasant man. He has a shaggy beard and smells of cheese ..."

Last week I asked for more detail from my son in his emails home. This week he sent the following ...

"Its Febrary 5th. The rain has continued its unrelenting attack on us, and has soaked us to the bone. I am wet. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I have another pair of Br. Misseri's crazy socks stuffed away in my backpack. I just hope the water hasn't soaked through that as well. I fear my planner has all but been reduced to a soggy clump of wet paper. Beside me sits our homeless friend, Silvio, he is eating a Bagel while watching Captain America. We often see him here in our tiny Internet cafe. He is a pleasant man. He has a shaggy beard and smells of cheese ..."
    Your son needs to consider writing as a career.

--Yeats