Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Post where you served.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Montreal, Canada - '88-'90

Also, Cowboy Grub is moving locations. Apparently that entire strip-mall will be turned into a hotel and the restaurant will move to another iconic East SL location - the Arnold Palmer miniature golf on 3300 S.
    In the 60+ years of my parents living in the SL Valley I think they've only been to and/or frequented three restaurants. Cowboy Grub is one of them. (Souper Salad and Mimi's being the other two). I can't imagine what they'll do with the impending Cowboy Grub downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I forgot this thread existed.

I probably posted already that I served in Indiana a long time go. My boss also served in Indiana a longer time ago. His daughter? Currently serving in Indiana. Her mission president? Steve Cleveland. #smallworldfactoids
    Max Power from uf.n lives in Steve Cleveland's ward. He claims that he has gotten a good portion of the ward calling him President Coach Cleveland.

Missouri, St. Louis

I discovered early on that mentioning Missouri, St. Louis as where you served was always a downer at parties when surrounded by missionaries who had gone to exotic places. The babes didn't exactly flock to hear my Show Me State Stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Missouri, St. Louis

I discovered early on that mentioning Missouri, St. Louis as where you served was always a downer at parties when surrounded by missionaries who had gone to exotic places. The babes didn't exactly flock to hear my Show Me State Stories.
    Do babes flock to hear any sort of mission stories? "This one time when I was tracting in the slums...?" I hung out with the wrong babes, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Do babes flock to hear any sort of mission stories? "This one time when I was tracting in the slums...?" I hung out with the wrong babes, apparently.
    one of the more unrecognized reasons for serving a mission is to hopefully increase your attractiveness to the opposite sex. Like most things for the 18-21 year old male it all boils down to sex. Sure there are a multitide of other reasons why we opt for the 2 year Mormon Vacation, but the hope of hooking up in the future with a hot babe is high on the proirity list.

I do think serving a mission helped in whooing the ladies, but clearly I overestimated the bump I would get post mission. And I think mentioning that I went to Russia or Tahitia (instead of the Midwest) would have helped slightly

one of the more unrecognized reasons for serving a mission is to hopefully increase your attractiveness to the opposite sex. Like most things for the 18-21 year old male it all boils down to sex. Sure there are a multitide of other reasons why we opt for the 2 year Mormon Vacation, but the hope of hooking up in the future with a hot babe is high on the proirity list.

I do think serving a mission helped in whooing the ladies, but clearly I overestimated the bump I would get post mission. And I think mentioning that I went to Russia or Tahitia (instead of the Midwest) would have helped slightly
    I always thought that the babes were more inclined toward the statesiders because there was less risk in contracting hepatitis or some parasite from making out with them?

Missouri, St. Louis

I went to Guatemala and El Salvador. None of the women I dated cared. That may have been because my magnetic personality overwhelmed all other considerations.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    With very little expertise and just a passing interest, I think only the following missions can help with the ladies:

Italy, France, Switzerland, Greece, Japan, NYC, and, just maybe, Winnepeg.

And going is not enough - you have to bring something back. Make authentic Italian pasta, French pastries, sushi from scratch. Throw Greek toga parties. Recite Italian poetry. That kind of crap. Talk about how you plan to visit your mission country throughout your life, including on your honeymoon.

If you went Spanish speaking, your only hope is to adopt a disadvantaged Mexican immigrant with the Big Brothers program.
    It all starts with going to a place the location of which is known to the casual observer. Most people have only a vague idea of where most Latin American countries are. But I learned how to make guacamole!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Well if the number of people I met at USU who'd been back from their mission for 10 minutes and were getting married to a girl they'd met 5 minutes ago is a way to judge, missions can help

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I went to Guatemala and El Salvador. None of the women I dated cared. That may have been because my magnetic personality overwhelmed all other considerations.
    The first girl I dated after my mission told me to "stop being so churchy." She lived to regret that after some 20 years of marriage.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

With very little expertise and just a passing interest, I think only the following missions can help with the ladies:

Italy, France, Switzerland, Greece, Japan, NYC, and, just maybe, Winnepeg.

And going is not enough - you have to bring something back. Make authentic Italian pasta, French pastries, sushi from scratch. Throw Greek toga parties. Recite Italian poetry. That kind of crap. Talk about how you plan to visit your mission country throughout your life, including on your honeymoon.

If you went Spanish speaking, your only hope is to adopt a disadvantaged Mexican immigrant with the Big Brothers program.
    The only thing my brother brought back from his mission in England -- food wise -- was, put gravy on everything.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Missouri, St. Louis

I used to joke that I had two strikes against me immediately amongst the institute crowd at the U. I went on a stateside mission and I went to Skyline High School (which was the favorite school to hate at the time). It was okay, the institute crowd of girls had similar strikes against them in my book because they were the institute crowd.

I think one of the most bizarre Utah culture things is to ask someone where they went to high school when they find out you are local. I think it is a weird way of finding out your economic status, but I still get people to this day who will say, "oh, Skyline?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I used to joke that I had two strikes against me immediately amongst the institute crowd at the U. I went on a stateside mission and I went to Skyline High School (which was the favorite school to hate at the time). It was okay, the institute crowd of girls had similar strikes against them in my book because they were the institute crowd.

I think one of the most bizarre Utah culture things is to ask someone where they went to high school when they find out you are local. I think it is a weird way of finding out your economic status, but I still get people to this day who will say, "oh, Skyline?"
    What's the economic stereotype of Skyline? The only thing I think of is dudes with blond tips.

Yeah, the food chain is:

West guys brag when they have rich East girlfriends. East guys brag when they have rich Olympus girlfriends. Olympus guys dream about rich Alta girls. Alta guys are dying to get into the rich Park City girl scene.

There are no other schools in the SLC chain. Sorry to the Rams, Wildcats, Spartans, Eagles, and Darts.

That food chain is about 20 years out of date, by the way. I don't even know if all those schools are still open.

Is it really just a Utah thing to find out where someone went to high school? As a Utahn, I suppose I can never know the answer.
    In St Louis it's also a thing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    What's the economic stereotype of Skyline? The only thing I think of is dudes with blond tips.
    I think it used to be rich douchebag (only one was true for me). However I think Brighton has taken that title now.