Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Origin of board name?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    They started as the 'Fun Pigs' in '86 on KJQ. They have now been on KXRK for 21 years.
    Wasn't it Dom and Bill on KJQ?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    After reading this thread, I must apologize for calling the name little brotherish in the welcome thread. I assumed the name was a thinly veiled (off by two) shot at the Cougars. I hope I'm still welcome, even thought I'm a BYU/Wyoming fan. Also, I hope that people here will keep the 'living room rule' - never say something to someone on the board that you wouldn't say to their face if you were sitting together in a living room...that, and I'd like to buy the world a Coke.
    Corollary: Say anything that bugs YOhio. Anytime. And no Coke for him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill View Post
    Actually they just celebrated 21 years on the radio. That show is older than most MUSS members
    Damn you for making me feel old.

Nice to see YOhio, HFN, and Cowboy over here. Hopefully they will stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I hope so too. YO must remember to say "please" and "thank you," however.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It's fine that there are Carbon County folks here who are Ute fans. But Carbon County Y fans? Perish the thought.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, it is nice to be liked!

While enjoying my hot pastrami sammich at Ida's B Street Deli today, Bruce Channel's "Hey Baby" played. Wasn't there some kind of protest/controversy about the pep band playing the tune at basketball games back in the day?
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    While enjoying my hot pastrami sammich at Ida's B Street Deli today, Bruce Channel's "Hey Baby" played. Wasn't there some kind of protest/controversy about the pep band playing the tune at basketball games back in the day?
    I remember the song being played, but I don't remember the controversy. Would love to know more.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Something about the song being sexist and derogatory toward women. The reaction was almost universally "Wait, What?" IIRC.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Something about the song being sexist and derogatory toward women. The reaction was almost universally "Wait, What?" IIRC.
    I always chuckle at these arguments...especially in light of songs like "Earl" from the Dixie Chicks getting almost no backlash.

You are probably thinking of the song Black Betty by Ram Jam.

Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 10-11-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Can someone enlighten me as to the fallout with Mike waters and the origins of CUF?

I see someone has hijacked my acct over there so I'm interested in what happened.
    Last edited by Viking; 12-18-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to the fallout with Mike waters and the origins of CUF?

I see someone has hijacked my acct over there so I'm interested in what happened.
    UtahDan and SU are the guys with the first-hand testimony to offer.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You are probably thinking of the song Black Betty by Ram Jam.
    How many here know that this song was originally an African American prison chain gang song? The below is the Lead Belly version recorded in 1939.

[<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sYrK464nIeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>]

Brings a different perspective about the song that many now don't understand.
    Last edited by LuckyUte; 12-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Well that embed didn't work.

Here is the link to the youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYrK464nIeY

so I assumed that the name is a pun on the Barberi saying, b/c the board was started by 5 people who seceded from the cougar/ute site. I assumed they were Utah Dan, Jarid in Cedar, LA Ute, and others. Correct or no?

Origin of board name?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    so I assumed that the name is a pun on the Barberi saying, b/c the board was started by 5 people who seceded from the cougar/ute site. I assumed they were Utah Dan, Jarid in Cedar, LA Ute, and others. Correct or no?
    It was all about the Barberi slogan, not the organizers of this site. There was quite a posse involved in the defection, many more than 5. If I start naming names I will inevitably forget someone. Pretty much every regular Ute poster on that board.

--Yeats

Just an idea…I used to love reading the commentary on CUF. I went there today for the first time in a while and read the reaction Topper is getting pretty obnoxious. Granted, Arch is super over the top in his pessimism but the basic point of his arguments are pretty much spot on. His delivery is the issue. Yet, he's getting the Cougarboard treatment over there.

What made the idea of CUF so great was the idea of a natural check and balance between two rival fan bases where the posters would be civil and thus less potential for Cougarboardish/Utefanish behavior.

I think Utahby5 could become what CUF wanted to be. LAUte sets the perfect tone for this place he could simply run it as an invite-only site. You are a bad actor, you're out. There's enough of a core virtual community amongst the right players that would make this place a really special site to visit. Just a thought from the BYU peanut gallery, aka, new little brother.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

I wanted to choose a name that would be uniquely "Utes" in origin. When I suggested the name, it resonated with the founding group, Esp for the generation that remembers the dark ages.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide