Thread: Utes in the NFL

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Based on his original injury the odds of him playing again were very low. With a ringed fixated on and still needing to take muscle from somewhere else on his body to cover the wound I think he will be lucky to keep his leg. He has a long road ahead of him
    Hostile, why is there such a high risk of his losing his leg? I've read this elsewhere, but a broken leg doesn't strike this non-doctor as potential for amputation. Whats the worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Hostile, why is there such a high risk of his losing his leg? I've read this elsewhere, but a broken leg doesn't strike this non-doctor as potential for amputation. Whats the worry?
    His injury was more than a broken leg. The bones fractured, tore through skin and muscle and were then contaminated with dirt, grass, and whatever else was on the field. The injury has now progressed to what sounds like an infected non-union (bone isn’t healed) that also has a soft tissue defect. All three of those issues (unhealed bone, infection, soft tissue) need to be addressed or the leg won’t be able to function for simple things like standing and walking. Sometimes, despite everything we do, the infection persists or the bone doesn’t heal and the best option for preserving function is to amputate the leg and get a prosthesis. It doesn’t happen often but it is always a concern for someone with an open tibia fracture.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

His injury was more than a broken leg. The bones fractured, tore through skin and muscle and were then contaminated with dirt, grass, and whatever else was on the field. The injury has now progressed to what sounds like an infected non-union (bone isn’t healed) that also has a soft tissue defect. All three of those issues (unhealed bone, infection, soft tissue) need to be addressed or the leg won’t be able to function for simple things like standing and walking. Sometimes, despite everything we do, the infection persists or the bone doesn’t heal and the best option for preserving function is to amputate the leg and get a prosthesis. It doesn’t happen often but it is always a concern for someone with an open tibia fracture.
    Thanks

I believe he also got an infection in the hospital, which resulted in additional surgeries and further prolonged his recovery beyond the year + that it was already at.

The good news for Alex is that he's got 40 or so million coming over the next two years no matter what.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.