Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Recommendations

Travel Recommendations

A thread for asking and giving advice about upcoming trips, and yes, I just started this exact thread at CS, but I want to catch my Ute friends who have migrated and not returned.. I'll go first. My wife is going to LA to run a half-marathon the first weekend of April and is looking for somewhere to stay with her friends. The race is in Hollywood, but I've heard that places there either cost $800/night or rent by the hour. We're looking for something around the lower quartile of that range. Any advice would be much appreciated.

No, I'll not be there to cheer her on. She is going with a bunch of women, which means I want nothing to do with their trip/sightseeing tour. I'd much rather go to the Final Four in Atlanta than the Price is Right in LA.

cowboy, what days is she staying down there?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    A thread for asking and giving advice about upcoming trips, and yes, I just started this exact thread at CS, but I want to catch my Ute friends who have migrated and not returned.. I'll go first. My wife is going to LA to run a half-marathon the first weekend of April and is looking for somewhere to stay with her friends. The race is in Hollywood, but I've heard that places there either cost $800/night or rent by the hour. We're looking for something around the lower quartile of that range. Any advice would be much appreciated.

No, I'll not be there to cheer her on. She is going with a bunch of women, which means I want nothing to do with their trip/sightseeing tour. I'd much rather go to the Final Four in Atlanta than the Price is Right in LA.
    Holiday inn in Anaheim is pretty good.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    cowboy, what days is she staying down there?
    April 4-6, Thursday thru Saturday.

Cowboy, stay in San Diego.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

I completely endorse Sfork's suggestion here.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Driving from KC to Provo tomorrow. I70/US6 or I70/I80....recommendation?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    My condolences on the destination.
    That said, merriment on your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Weather looks like it will be ok in Wyoming, I would probably go I-80 to save time. I-70 is more scenic, but slower, and I wouldn't want the extra time after crossing Kansas and eastern Colorado.

Travel Recommendations

When I die and go to hell I'll simply just reappear in line at Disneyland. In fact last time I was there I wondered which of the other weary fathers there were actually dead.

With that as context to my question, we're going to Newport late September with a couple of other families. These other families want to spend two days at Disneyland, I'm convinced one hour is enough but I'll concede a day. What do you all recommend, is two days with kids ranging 4-11 necessary?

My suggestion was to ditch the other families and do our own thing that second day and bribe the kids with a portion of the proceeds saved if met with resistance.

Following that line of thinking, is there something in that part of SoCal of interest (not another theme park) that is maybe off the relative beaten path that might easily supplant a second day at Disneyland?

Your vast wisdom and suggestions are welcome. And for further clarification, a relaxing drive up the coast is not in my 4yo genetic makeup.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 07-16-2015 at 09:56 PM.

I know it is out of character and against your beliefs, but I strongly recommend getting a shot of rum or vodka in your drink at California Adventure. I promise you it will make the day more bearable. (They can serve alcohol only at CA, so at DL you get to grin and bear it).

A 4 yr old would probably be content to dig in the sand at the beach all day. An option that might work with the kids is renting beach cruiser bikes and riding up the beach. My kids enjoy that.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 07-17-2015 at 12:16 AM.

The LA Zoo can be enjoyable for the family, especially if you cap the evening with a Dodgers game. Zoo + game + ball caps/popcorn/etc will likely still be cheaper than a day at DL.

I don't know your kids' age but if you're at Newport there's so much to do there that I don't know why you'd want to leave. (I'm there right now and I hate leaving even to hit the grocery store.). That said, the Getty museum is terrific, if your kids are interested. There is stuff to do there for younger kids. It will take you an hour to get there. A Dodger game is a great idea, but the Angels are much closer. You could get to the San Diego Zoo in about an hour. Then there's Legoland and Sea World. (Why anyone would want to leave Newport Beach to go to thiose places us beyond me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I don't know your kids' age but if you're at Newport there's so much to do there that I don't know why you'd want to leave. (I'm there right now and I hate leaving even to hit the grocery store.). That said, the Getty museum is terrific, if your kids are interested. There is stuff to do there for younger kids. It will take you an hour to get there. A Dodger game is a great idea, but the Angels are much closer. You could get to the San Diego Zoo in about an hour. Then there's Legoland and Sea World. (Why anyone would want to leave Newport Beach to go to thiose places us beyond me.)

I'm with you on leaving Newport. Truthfully, despite my disdain for D-land, it seems like kind of a waste of our week at Newport to spend two days there. It is kind of like, "Okay we got the magic of Disneyland, now we can supplant the rest with Lagoon some other evening in Utah..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    When I die and go to hell I'll simply just reappear in line at Disneyland. In fact last time I was there I wondered which of the other weary fathers there were actually dead.

With that as context to my question, we're going to Newport late September with a couple of other families. These other families want to spend two days at Disneyland, I'm convinced one hour is enough but I'll concede a day. What do you all recommend, is two days with kids ranging 4-11 necessary?

My suggestion was to ditch the other families and do our own thing that second day and bribe the kids with a portion of the proceeds saved if met with resistance.

Following that line of thinking, is there something in that part of SoCal of interest (not another theme park) that is maybe off the relative beaten path that might easily supplant a second day at Disneyland?

Your vast wisdom and suggestions are welcome. And for further clarification, a relaxing drive up the coast is not in my 4yo genetic makeup.
    No fucking way would I spend TWO days in Disneyland. Only Utahns would even think about going to the beach and spending two of those precious days in that hell hole. It's gonna be over $500 to get in (you always have to do both parks). Then you spend the whole day waiting in line in the heat for rides that give you motion sickness. And the food sucks. Happiest place on earth, my ass. I understand that dutiful parents need to take their kids to Disneyland. I've sucked it up, got up early, threw everybody in the car, paid $30 bucks to park a mile away from the parks, put my game face on and fought through the day (and the night). But I'll be damned if I do it two days in a row.

And as for those miserable, horrible adults who go there without kids because they like it and make the park even more crowded, one day you people will rot in hell.

As for doing other things, you have the beach, the boardwalk, bikes, surfboards, boogie boards, good donuts and coffee and everything else you need for your kids to have fun without leaving.

Rocker, I'm seriously concerned about who you are hanging out with these days.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 07-17-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    And as for those miserable, horrible adults who go there without kids because they like it and make the park even more crowded, one day you people will rot in hell.
    I honestly don't get this!? I've known two couples who go every year despite having no kids. That is sick and wrong.

If you're staying here, there's no reason to even leave the resort.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-coast-villas/

This may or may not have been one of my FB posts.

Rocker, where are you staying? I just like to crash at the beach, but there are lots of other options right in Newport. Kayaking, duffy boats, there's a kid play place in the back bay that your kids might like. Also, if I'm stuck doing 2 days of amusement parks you should go to Knotts the second day. Way less crowded.

Lowell, let me know if you're still around next week and lunch is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Rocker, where are you staying? I just like to crash at the beach, but there are lots of other options right in Newport. Kayaking, duffy boats, there's a kid play place in the back bay that your kids might like. Also, if I'm stuck doing 2 days of amusement parks you should go to Knotts the second day. Way less crowded.

I've been an idiot about letting people know I'm here. I even have a partner who lives on Balboa Island (where we are staying) and I forgot to tell him. Alas, we are out of here tomorrow. I'll be back soon on business and will remember next time!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Some beach house right in Newport that I reserved with the intent to do just that (crash on the beach).

You've all emboldened me further. Last night I suggested that perhaps my friends who are so hellbent on the second day would likely be happy to just take our kids with them. I'm comfortable with other parents tending to our kids in the memory books.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    No fucking way would I spend TWO days in Disneyland. Only Utahns would even think about going to the beach and spending two of those precious days in that hell hole. It's gonna be over $500 to get in (you always have to do both parks). Then you spend the whole day waiting in line in the heat for rides that give you motion sickness. And the food sucks. Happiest place on earth, my ass. I understand that dutiful parents need to take their kids to Disneyland. I've sucked it up, got up early, threw everybody in the car, paid $30 bucks to park a mile away from the parks, put my game face on and fought through the day (and the night). But I'll be damned if I do it two days in a row.

As for doing other things, you have the beach, the boardwalk, bikes, surfboards, boogie boards, good donuts and coffee and everything else you need for your kids to have fun without leaving.

Rocker, I'm seriously concerned about who you are hanging out with these days.
    This... Exactly this. Can I print this off and hand to those pushing me to do two days?

Some beach house right in Newport that I reserved with the intent to do just that (crash on the beach).

You've all emboldened me further. Last night I suggested that perhaps my friends who are so hellbent on the second day would likely be happy to just take our kids with them. I'm comfortable with other parents tending to our kids in the memory books.
    Cool, we'll actually be there in a beach house next week, too, but I'll be going into the office most days. Let me know if I can buy you lunch in Fashion Island one of the days next week.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    . . .We are currently on day five of eureka, ca. Beach and redwoods. Been a great trip.
    Jealous! I love the Northern California coast.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Cool, we'll actually be there in a beach house next week, too, but I'll be going into the office most days. Let me know if I can buy you lunch in Fashion Island one of the days next week.
    I'll actually be there late September. So maybe less Disney crowds.

I'll actually be there late September. So maybe less Disney crowds.
    Midweek during school should be OK. But still, it is a huge pain in the butt to drive out from Newport to DL especially when the beach is calling your name.

The last few times I went to DL or DW I stayed at a Disney property. This gave us an extra hour in the morning before the park opened for the day (or after it closes, depending on the day) and also gave us a place to go for a rest when the kids got burned out in the middle of the day.

Definitely find a way to stay closer to Newport for the second day...

Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey is my favorite place on earth. Asilomar beach in Pacific Grove has easy access from the road to some huge rocks that the waves smash all day long. So peaceful.

I recommend stunned silence when your friends raise the idea of leaving the beach. Act like you're embarrassed for them and don't know what to say. See if they just slither away.

--Yeats

Ha! My kids are awesome! My wife broached the subject (after I forwarded two Utes carefully worded admonition) with her thinking they'd want two days. (I had more faith in them).

Unanimous decision: One day at Disneyland. The two oldest said, "We had more fun at the beach last time anyway..." To which I replied, "So how about we just skip Disneyland all together?" That got kaiboshed. Damned mouse marketing even got to the best of them.