Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Travel Recommendations

Planning a trip to Machu Pichu for 2020. Going with a travel company called discoveryxa. We with them to Kenya last summer and had an amazing trip. In addition to Machu Pichu, we will be going to Lake Titicaca, and the Rain Forest. Is there anything worth seeing in Lima for a few days either before our tour or after? We like to add something in the "neighborhood" and have thought of the Galapagos islands or Iguazu Falls. Any thoughts on either of those places or someplace else?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Planning a trip to Machu Pichu for 2020. Going with a travel company called discoveryxa. We with them to Kenya last summer and had an amazing trip. In addition to Machu Pichu, we will be going to Lake Titicaca, and the Rain Forest. Is there anything worth seeing in Lima for a few days either before our tour or after? We like to add something in the "neighborhood" and have thought of the Galapagos islands or Iguazu Falls. Any thoughts on either of those places or someplace else?
    I'm so jealous. I served my mission in Lima and Cuzco. Lima is not really a tourist destination. There are nice parts, or course. Nice beaches, some museums. If anything, though, I would spend my time in Lima eating. Peru has the best cuisine of South America. Find some nice and safe ceviche in Lima. I could give other food recommendations if you like.

I would spend as much time as possible in the mountains. See Machu Picchu, but also explore Cuzco, the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo, Urubamba, etc.

Something I didn't get to see but would love to is the Colca canyon near Arequipa. It's not as popular as Cuzco or Puno for tourism, but you can find tours. It looks beautiful.

My brother visited Iguazu after his mission in Argentina, and he was not disappointed. Looks like an amazing place.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm so jealous. I served my mission in Lima and Cuzco. Lima is not really a tourist destination. There are nice parts, or course. Nice beaches, some museums. If anything, though, I would spend my time in Lima eating. Peru has the best cuisine of South America. Find some nice and safe ceviche in Lima. I could give other food recommendations if you like.

I would spend as much time as possible in the mountains. See Machu Picchu, but also explore Cuzco, the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo, Urubamba, etc.

Something I didn't get to see but would love to is the Colca canyon near Arequipa. It's not as popular as Cuzco or Puno for tourism, but you can find tours. It looks beautiful.

My brother visited Iguazu after his mission in Argentina, and he was not disappointed. Looks like an amazing place.
    When I did m.p. years ago, also did cuzco, Puerto maldanado lake titicaca and la paz. Started in the Galapagos. Unless you think you might go back to that part of the world someday, I absolutely would do the Galapagos. It was the most memorable part of our trip.
    Last edited by concerned; 05-05-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks for the input. We will be spending time in Cuzco, the Sacred Valley and Puerto Maldonado. I have heard of Colca Canyon. So many places to visit. Not sure if I will make it back to South America. We try to do one big trip a year and have a lot on our bucket list. A small trip I am excited about is going back and renting a European Canal boat and spending 4 nights on the Erie Canal. My brother and I boated the Hudson from Manhattan to Lake Champlain a few years back and if you have never been through the locks, it is very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Iguazu Falls is nice, but I wouldn't say that it's nice enough to travel from Lima to see (nor would I say it's in the neighborhood, unless by neighborhood you mean South America). I'd take Sancho's advice about eating thru Lima and check out the Galapagos.

I'm planning a baseball roadtrip around the Erie canal this summer. We will hit the exotic destinations of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Toronto. We'll probably finish up in Montreal. Any recommendations about any of these cities would be much appreciated (sidenote: I have two young kids who are good travelers/eaters, but we are somewhat limited by nap time).

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm planning a baseball roadtrip around the Erie canal this summer. We will hit the exotic destinations of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Toronto. We'll probably finish up in Montreal. Any recommendations about any of these cities would be much appreciated (sidenote: I have two young kids who are good travelers/eaters, but we are somewhat limited by nap time).
    My coworker from Pittsburgh swears that Pittsburgh is known for its pierogis. I've never heard of it, but you should check it out.

I've done many baseball trips with my kids. I did this trip a few years ago with my son. He was probably 14 at the time. We hit Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago (both Cubs and Chisox). If we had more time I would've added Milwaukee & the Twinkies as well. My wife takes the girls on the exotic crap that most people like -- not me -- give me a baseball trip any day. Enjoy!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

In Detroit you should go to the Henry Ford Museum. By Cleveland you can go to Cedar Point. In toledo there is a great children's museum called the imagination station that is fun. For places to eat in Detroit I'd go to Mexican Town and my favorite is xoxomilcos If you like mideastern food there are lots of great places. Astoria Bakery in Greektown is must as well.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My coworker from Pittsburgh swears that Pittsburgh is known for its pierogis. I've never heard of it, but you should check it out.
    Added to my list...

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I've done many baseball trips with my kids. I did this trip a few years ago with my son. He was probably 14 at the time. We hit Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago (both Cubs and Chisox). If we had more time I would've added Milwaukee & the Twinkies as well. My wife takes the girls on the exotic crap that most people like -- not me -- give me a baseball trip any day. Enjoy!
    Well, I like the exotic stuff too, but I have a goal to see a game in every stadium before I meet my untimely demise. This trip should put me at 20/30. But all the ones left are not in desirable locales (KC, Milwaukee, Tampa, Seattle, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    In Detroit you should go to the Henry Ford Museum. By Cleveland you can go to Cedar Point. In toledo there is a great children's museum called the imagination station that is fun. For places to eat in Detroit I'd go to Mexican Town and my favorite is xoxomilcos If you like mideastern food there are lots of great places. Astoria Bakery in Greektown is must as well.
    Good stuff. Especially on stuff to eat in Detroit. Detroit is a hard city to figure out; there is a ton of new development downtown (pricier on Airbnb) and you go three blocks away and you can get a screaming deal. But the city just disappears at that point. It's hard to get a sense of where to stay.

Is this east coast mexican or mexican food?

Is this east coast mexican or mexican food?
    Its better than the red iguana in my opinion.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Its better than the red iguana in my opinion.

Toronto: Been there a couple of times on baseball road trips. Hockey Hall of Fame, Parkdale Nightlife, Gretzky's restaurant, CN Tower. I am usually in a city to see the game and the stadium, so I have been limited in how much I check out beyond that area, but each of these areas are near the park.

Pittsburgh- Pamela’s for breakfast. Still my favorite corned beef hash. The pancakes are awesome. PNC Park is a great baseball venue. Beautiful view of the city. If you’re into architecture, Falling Water is about 90 minutes away. Take the funicular to the top of Mt Washington for a birds eye view of the three rivers confluence.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Pittsburgh- Pamela’s for breakfast. Still my favorite corned beef hash. The pancakes are awesome. PNC Park is a great baseball venue. Beautiful view of the city. If you’re into architecture, Falling Water is about 90 minutes away. Take the funicular to the top of Mt Washington for a birds eye view of the three rivers confluence.
    Andy Warhol museum is fun but not sure it would be all that great for real young kids.

Andy Warhol museum is fun but not sure it would be all that great for real young kids.
    Agree. Time limit for my kids in a museum is about 1 hour
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyUte View Post
    Toronto: Been there a couple of times on baseball road trips. Hockey Hall of Fame, Parkdale Nightlife, Gretzky's restaurant, CN Tower. I am usually in a city to see the game and the stadium, so I have been limited in how much I check out beyond that area, but each of these areas are near the park.
    I have been out of the "nightlife" scene for a few decades. Does anything start before 6?

Falling Water has a +6 age limit, unfortunately. We've done the funicular. We somewhat know Pittsburgh as we have been there a few times.

My 2 year old loves bananas.

Pittsburgh is an underrated city. I don't have any specific recommendations, just enjoy the city.

Montréal: Schwartz’s deli for a smoked meat sandwich. Walk/bike to the top of Mt Royal for a 360 view of the island and st Joseph’s oratory. Your kids can see Brother André’s heart. Walking around old Montréal is pretty cool.

I have been out of the "nightlife" scene for a few decades. Does anything start before 6?
    All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanniesaf View Post
    As I understand it, Ill wait for an answer to my personal messages for a long time, so I am writing here! Actually, Ive on your forum a long time ago, but I had to register again - why, Ill tell you later. Recently, I broke up with my husband (some people know him here!), and I've been chatting on dating sites for 2 years. It's a shame, but it's true. Dating sites disappointed me. Too many perverts and just dumb men. I like strong intellectuals. I am an engineer, but also I'm trying myself in the modeling business. ... Oh yeah, I'm 24, and I love online chat rooms))) instagram, skype. I'll reply only with a personal message! But I can answer in the evening only - I'm running away for a while! I hope for a serious relationship. Write, maybe I'm lucky here. Post changed: Great, the photo didnt load! Does anyone know how to fix this? In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt)) http://luvandates.com/profile/Fanniesaf/ P.S. Scorcho! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list! ___________ Post changed 22.07.2019
    Scorcho, c’mon man. You gotta be nicer to our Russian friends!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.