Thread: Coastal California

Coastal California

Greetings,

FL trip has been scrapped; long story. Now we're spending a few days in the Bay Area, driving down the 1 through Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, and a few days in Los Angeles. Just wondering if any of the following are worth the time and/or $$:

--Angel Island State Park & ferry
    --Pinnacles National Monument (former volcano and caves)
    --Ventura whale watching excursions
    --Catalina island (is it worth a day trip?)
    --Hornblower dinner cruises

Thank you!
    When I told him of some of my colleagues' intellectual objections to gospel issues, he said, "Well, Brother Madsen, if only they had the Spirit they wouldn't talk this way. If only they had the Spirit."
    -Truman G. Madsen, with Spencer W. Kimball

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    Greetings,

FL trip has been scrapped; long story. Now we're spending a few days in the Bay Area, driving down the 1 through Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, and a few days in Los Angeles. Just wondering if any of the following are worth the time and/or $$:

Thank you!
    Do the whale watching! Not much to see on Catalina. Skip Hornblower. I don't know anything about Pinnacles or Angel Island.

Other ideas:

Spend a Day in Monterey if you can and see the Aquarium. It needs at least 3 hours or so.

Hearst Castle is interesting to some. I think it's boring.

Stop in Cambria and have some pie at Linn's Fruit Bin. Awesome.

Enjoy!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    Greetings,

Thank you!
    I agree with LA Ute on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Do it. Also, I'd pass on Catalina. Nothing much to see or do there unless you're avid fishermen or SCUBA divers. Instead, swap Catalina for a day or two in San Diego. Boardmail me if you need specific suggestions.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I agree with LA Ute on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Do it. Also, I'd pass on Catalina. Nothing much to see or do there unless you're an avid fishermen or SCUBA divers. Instead, swap Catalina for a day or two in San Diego. Boardmail me if you need specific suggestions.
    Agree, you should spend time in San Diego. Eat in Old Town. SD Ute will guide you.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I agree with LA Ute on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Do it. Also, I'd pass on Catalina. Nothing much to see or do there unless you're avid fishermen or SCUBA divers. Instead, swap Catalina for a day or two in San Diego. Boardmail me if you need specific suggestions.
    I agree as well.

An hour north of San Fran is pt. Reyes. Gorgeous.

One more idea: We're in the middle of whale-watching season. The grey whales are running. If you want to do that, here's the place to go, in Ventura:

https://reserve.islandpackers.com/

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    One more idea: We're in the middle of whale-watching season. The grey whales are running. If you want to do that, here's the place to go, in Ventura:

https://reserve.islandpackers.com/
    If you're anywhere near Ventura, then you're close to Ojai.

Drive up 33 and have some strawberry shortcake at Boccali's.

PS - not the one in Meiner's Oaks. Go through town and hit the original location on the far side of downtown, on the way to Santa Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    If you're anywhere near Ventura, then you're close to Ojai.

Drive up 33 and have some strawberry shortcake at Boccali's.

PS - not the one in Meiner's Oaks. Go through town and hit the original location on the far side of downtown, on the way to Santa Paula.
    Great suggestion. Ojai is a kick.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Great suggestion. Ojai is a kick.
    Ojai is great. You also won't be too far from Ronald Reagan's Presidential Library. It is terrific. Part of the national archive system. It has the Air Force 1 that was in use from Nixon to Clinton and tons of other stuff, including part of the actual Berlin Wall. They have a Walt Disney Display that is terrific. It's great no matter your political persuasion.