Thread: Books We Read/Listen To

Hybrid View

I listened to Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. It won the National Book Award this year. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-unburied-sing

It took me a while to get into it, and it never really grabbed me like some books do. But I find that a few weeks later, it comes back to my memory move vividly than most other books do. Reading might be better for this one that listening. The narrator for the female part was a little too dramatic for my taste, and it distracted from the story a bit.

I'm listening to a Clancy book to cleanse the palate a bit, and then have Andy Weir's new book Artemis up next. I'm looking forward to that quite a bit. I loved The Martian.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I listened to Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward. It won the National Book Award this year. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-unburied-sing

It took me a while to get into it, and it never really grabbed me like some books do. But I find that a few weeks later, it comes back to my memory move vividly than most other books do. Reading might be better for this one that listening. The narrator for the female part was a little too dramatic for my taste, and it distracted from the story a bit.

I'm listening to a Clancy book to cleanse the palate a bit, and then have Andy Weir's new book Artemis up next. I'm looking forward to that quite a bit. I loved The Martian.
    That book was amazing, sing unburied sing, I mean. The traffic stop scene was subtle but really intense. The writing was beautiful and I love the story. It is very relevant, obviously, to some of the race issues we are still dealing with today. I believe that Jesmyn Ward deserved the national book award for this one.

Books We Read/Listen To

I think, it is interesting to share our own experience: what the books have you read in english and what of them did you like?For example, beginning from the theme author, I tried to read Maxim Gorky fairytales. They're interesting and are written with a rather well-understood language, but for those places, where he describes the nature, the landscape etc.Now I'm reading "Vanity Fair" by Charles Thackeray - I can not say this book to be very interesting - but may be the plot turns to become more interesting soon - who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by AleksanBeefe View Post
    I think, it is interesting to share our own experience: what the books have you read in english and what of them did you like?For example, beginning from the theme author, I tried to read Maxim Gorky fairytales. They're interesting and are written with a rather well-understood language, but for those places, where he describes the nature, the landscape etc.Now I'm reading "Vanity Fair" by Charles Thackeray - I can not say this book to be very interesting - but may be the plot turns to become more interesting soon - who knows.
    Nice first post! Welcome internet bot!

I just finished "A Study in Scarlet" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He is the author of the Sherlock Holmes series. This book is the first in that series and explains how Holmes and Dr. Watson got introduced. Its a classic, written in 1854.

Surprisingly, half way through reading this Holmes and Watson are solving a murder in London and the story takes a dramatic shift to the Mormon Pioneers, polygamy and a sinister perspective of Brigham Young and the LDS Church. It follows this separate story line for several chapters before tying it back into the murder in London.

Odd premise, and possibly some of the earliest anti-LDS material out there, but I liked it.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 08-22-2019 at 08:57 AM.