Thread: Books We Read/Listen To

Hybrid View

"Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen. The Boss tells his story. Pretty good.

"All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy. Love it. First McCarthy for me since Blood Meridian a few years ago. This is much less violent. A great story, well told.

A book came up on the Audible Daily Deal for 3 bucks that was intriguing, so I bought it and listened to it. It was intriguing because it is based in SLC, and written by a UofU Law School graduate. It’s called The Neon Lawyer, by Victor Methos. I guess he stil has a practice in SLC and Vegas.

It’s a short read, and reminded me a lot of a less wordy Grisham novel. A Time To Kill in particular, without the racial element. Might be a good beach read if you are interested, and the local references are fun.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

A book came up on the Audible Daily Deal for 3 bucks that was intriguing, so I bought it and listened to it. It was intriguing because it is based in SLC, and written by a UofU Law School graduate. It’s called The Neon Lawyer, by Victor Methos. I guess he stil has a practice in SLC and Vegas.

It’s a short read, and reminded me a lot of a less wordy Grisham novel. A Time To Kill in particular, without the racial element. Might be a good beach read if you are interested, and the local references are fun.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson is about Stevenson’s experiences as a death row lawyer in Alabama starting in the 90’s and continuing today. In addition to writing about individuals, he weaves in a lot of information that highlights the racial issues in the criminal justice system. I was pointed to this book by Jazz player Ekpe Udoh, who has a book club.