Thread: Books We Read/Listen To

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    OrangeUte,
    You're one of the first people I know who's read Bobrich's "Angel in the Whirlwind." That is a fantastic book. Sounds like we need to get in the same book group.
    Let's do it! we should get a Utahby5 book club going.... could be a lot of fun. one person picks a book per month. coordinate an hour each month to have that person lead us in a discussion by teleconference. I would definitely be very much down with that.

M.I.A. - Half a century ago, an American commando vanished in the jungles of Laos.

Not a book, but a fascinating read nonetheless:

M.I.A. - Half a century ago, an American commando vanished in the jungles of Laos. In 2008, he reappeared in Vietnam, reportedly alive and well. But nothing was what it seemed.

https://magazine.atavist.com/mia

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Let's do it! we should get a Utahby5 book club going.... could be a lot of fun. one person picks a book per month. coordinate an hour each month to have that person lead us in a discussion by teleconference. I would definitely be very much down with that.
    +1!

you, me, and utebiquitous. we are really getting tons of support for this. I think we should have a book a month, chosen by a member of the club, with discussion throughout the month on a thread dedicated to that book. who wants to go first?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    +1!

I'm sure we could get LA Ute, USS and a few others. Fun idea. I may be a little reluctant to discuss via teleconference. Alternatively, we could post some comments/questions as we go along and some wrap up discussion here on the forum. Anyway - love the idea and would definitely participate.

I'm sure we could get LA Ute, USS and a few others. Fun idea. I may be a little reluctant to discuss via teleconference. Alternatively, we could post some comments/questions as we go along and some wrap up discussion here on the forum. Anyway - love the idea and would definitely participate.
    I'm in. Maybe just virtual discussion online would work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It would depend on the books. I have a wide range, but not just anything will work for me.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    It would depend on the books. I have a wide range, but not just anything will work for me.
    let's do it. you can jump in if you like the book and add to the discussion. You also read more abundantly than many of us so we may go much slower than you. who knows. I like the idea of digital group where we pose questions, offer thoughts, and discuss.

Can I go first?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    let's do it. you can jump in if you like the book and add to the discussion. You also read more abundantly than many of us so we may go much slower than you. who knows. I like the idea of digital group where we pose questions, offer thoughts, and discuss.

Can I go first?
    Dive in!
    I'm still slogging through Dickens' "Dombey and Son," and I doubt anyone else will be interested in that one (I can barely get through it myself).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell