Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Books We Read/Listen To

LA,
    You do realize that I'm talking about a different book - definitely inspired by The Brothers Karamazov but titled, "The Brothers K" written by David James Duncan. Really good novel with sports and religion as strong underpinnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    LA,
    You do realize that I'm talking about a different book - definitely inspired by The Brothers Karamazov but titled, "The Brothers K" written by David James Duncan. Really good novel with sports and religion as strong underpinnings.
    No, I had not heard of that book and thought you were simply abbreviating. It's now on my reading list!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Meanwhile, as I read a chapter or two of C&P each day, I've learned to whistle a happy tune for 5 minutes just after I finish so that I don't walk around with a black cloud hovering over my head.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Meanwhile, as I read a chapter or two of C&P each day, I've learned to whistle a happy tune for 5 minutes just after I finish so that I don't walk around with a black cloud hovering over my head.
    Walter white awaits

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Walter white awaits
    Har-har. Vince Gilligan as Fyodor's successor.

--Yeats

The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

A masterful history of the planning, outbreak and fighting during the first month of World War I.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Amazon lists 100 books that you should read in your lifetime.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=8192263011
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Amazon lists 100 books that you should read in your lifetime.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=8192263011
    Not sure I agree with the list, but maybe that's because I've read only13 of them....

--Yeats

Banned
    Just finished Damn Few. Light, good time, entertaining read.

Not sure I agree with the list, but maybe that's because I've read only13 of them....
    That's better than me. I've only read three of them.

I did the same with this list (BBC's Top 200 Books):

http://flattopshistorywarpolitics.yu...s#.UvZ_RM4w5yE
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I'm posting this here because it will probably interest those who have read "The Orphan Master's Son."

North Korea's Horrors 'Strikingly Similar' to Nazi Acts

This U.N. report is horrifying.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

A masterful history of the planning, outbreak and fighting during the first month of World War I.
    If you are interested in this subject Dan Carlin's hardcore history has a two part podcast called "blueprint for the armageddon". Really interesting.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Two somewhat tied together books that are great reads are "The Alchemy of Air" and "Saltpeter: The Mother of Gunpowder" I had no idea how the production of ammonia, fertilizer, and gunpowder could rule the world. I know interesting, huh?

I gave my wife the Goldfinch for Xmas. cant wait to read it when she is done with it. BTW, if you like the feeling "Oh no -- theo dont do that" then you would love Breaking Bad. Starting the 5th season, best show I've ever watched.
    My wife is about halfway through Goldfinch and cant put it down. Looking forward to it.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

Simply Magnificent. This is the story of Ernest Shackleton's second Antarctic expedition which led to the loss of the ship Endurance and a desperate trek across ice and sea to safety.
    This is one of my favorites. After seeing your post a few weeks ago I went looking for my copy. After a few moves I'm not sure where it is. One book I don't mind buying again.

My wife is about halfway through Goldfinch and cant put it down. Looking forward to it.
    I think I blew through it in about a week.

--Yeats

I was thinking of some my other favorites as a kid that are worth a reread.

When the Legends Die by Hal Borland

and

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

This came up on another board, so I thought I'd post it here as well.

Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson, is probably my favorite book of the past decade. WARNING: It is a very "quiet" read; it is definitely not a Clancy novel. But, for those who are into fiction and those with an interest in the large, theological questions, I can't think of a better book.

I'm making it my recommendation of the month.

I think I blew through it in about a week.
    My wife is a thoughtful reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This came up on another board, so I thought I'd post it here as well.

Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson, is probably my favorite book of the past decade. WARNING: It is a very "quiet" read; it is definitely not a Clancy novel. But, for those who are into fiction and those with an interest in the large, theological questions, I can't think of a better book.

I'm making it my recommendation of the month.
    I'll say it again: Housekeeping is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    I was thinking of some my other favorites as a kid that are worth a reread.

When the Legends Die by Hal Borland
    In my top favorite 5 books of all time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

My wife is a thoughtful reader.
    LOL. I didn't mean that as a jab, just as evidence of how a great book grabbed me.

Applejack, I loved "Gilead." It's different from any novel I've ever read. "Housekeeping" is now on my list too.

--Yeats

For those who like true survival stories. Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King. It's about a US shipwreck off the northwestern coast of Africa in 1815. The Captain and crew make their way to shore only to be faced with the Sahara desert and being forced into slavery by nomadic Arabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    For those who like true survival stories. Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King. It's about a US shipwreck off the northwestern coast of Africa in 1815. The Captain and crew make their way to shore only to be faced with the Sahara desert and being forced into slavery by nomadic Arabs.
    My wife read that and enjoyed it as well.

I just finished Boys in the Boat. It is the story of the 1936 gold medal 8-man crew from the University of Washington. Really good read.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Books We Read/Listen To

"Red," a novella by Jack Ketchum. A good, entertaining quick read. It was made into a movie starring Brian Cox, who's really prefect for the role.

I'm still reading "The Brothers K" (thanks to Utebiquitous) and "Crime and Punishment." I can only take so much of Raskolnikov at a time so I'm jumping back and forth between both.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.

--Yeats

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I recently watch both the 2005 movie with Kiera Knightly and the 1995 mini-series with Colin Firth, and was filled with the desire to read the book. It is excellent.

Just finished Flash Boys, the latest from Michael Lewis. We were just in NYC and I was able to take my 2 oldest onto the NYSE floor. I was commenting how quiet it seemed. The trader who was showing us around mentioned this book in his explanation of how equity trading had changed over the past few years. The book explores the explosion of high-frequency trading. I'm not a finance guy but I really liked the book. Viking, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Boys-Wal.../dp/0393244660

I have loved reading Garcia-Marquez over the years as much as any author I have ever read. I saw this tribute by Salman Rushdie the other day, and felt it expressed exactly why I loved reading him. so I thought I would share.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/bo...-the-real.html

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I finally had a moment to read it this morning. Thanks for posting it. Great tribute. He compares the two authors who influenced my tastes more than any others: Dickens and Garcia-Marquez.

Add Faulkner to that and you have my three.

Faulkner

Faulkner is my one true love. When I have more time I'll post about my current odyssey to read his entire catalog, front to back.