Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA 2019 Football Season

NCAA 2019 Football Season

May as well kick off the season thread with this glorious moment.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...-camp-check-in

This year's iteration of McCullough's shirt features himself checking into camp in 2018 wearing a shirt featuring himself checking into camp in 2017 wearing a shirt featuring himself checking into camp in 2016 wearing a shirt featuring himself checking into champ in 2015.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's hideous

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

It's hideous
    I agree. Skull and cross bones?! Are we sure it’s not a Halloween prank?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I agree. Skull and cross bones?! Are we sure it’s not a Halloween prank?
    I'm having a hard time mixing the Cornhusker name with that image. It's worse than Swoop.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm having a hard time mixing the Cornhusker name with that image. It's worse than Swoop.
    Maybe it's "Talk Like a Pirate Week" on campus.

More big QB news out of Indiana.

Freshman Micheal Penix beat out Peyton Ramsey (last years starter) and Jack Tuttle for the IU QB starting job.

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    More big QB news out of Indiana.

Freshman Micheal Penix beat out Peyton Ramsey (last years starter) and Jack Tuttle for the IU QB starting job.

Stay tuned.
    I hope Jack has chosen a very marketable major. His future in football seems questionable.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope Jack has chosen a very marketable major. His future in football seems questionable.
    You are a poet.

Does anyone else in college football media "get it" like Klatt does? I've seen 100 clueless takes from college football media over the past two days.

Does anyone else in college football media "get it" like Klatt does? I've seen 100 clueless takes from college football media over the past two days.
    I think Herbstreit gets it. It doesn't show because he's surrounded by clowns.

The starting QB and #2WR at Houston are quitting on this season to redshirt and transfer. Our gradual march towards an official NFL farm system continues. In some future day, when college football is dead, the old, ex-college football media who argued continually for looser restrictions and greater player paydays will helplessly wonder "How did we ever get here?" from the unemployment line.

The starting QB and #2WR at Houston are quitting on this season to redshirt and transfer. Our gradual march towards an official NFL farm system continues. In some future day, when college football is dead, the old, ex-college football media who argued continually for looser restrictions and greater player paydays will helplessly wonder "How did we ever get here?" from the unemployment line.
    I saw that tweet earlier and decided I wanted to see some of the responses of their fans burning the place down. Nope. Seem like a strangely optimistic group. I don't see how you can read those and tell yourself, "this is good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I saw that tweet earlier and decided I wanted to see some of the responses of their fans burning the place down. Nope. Seem like a strangely optimistic group. I don't see how you can read those and tell yourself, "this is good!"
    They've calmed everyone down by saying they plan to use this year to graduate and then return next season to play with no school distractions. Basically, Houston had a poor start, so Holgo convinced these guys to wait until next season to play. He's giving up on this year and focusing on the next.

I'm not sure what is really happening, but either way, it's more shenanigans made by the loosened up redshirt rules.

There are 16 teams still undefeated in college football. Here's the ranking based on ESPN computers' probability of finishing unbeaten:

Clemson, 60% chance of winning out
    Ohio State, 40%
    Oklahoma, 28%
    Alabama, 27%
    Boise St, 12%
    Georgia, 10%
    LSU, 4%
    SMU, 4%
    Penn St, 3%
    Wiscy, 2%
    Memphis, 2%
    App St, 1.5%
    Florida, 0.4%
    Baylor, 0.3%
    Wake, 0.1%
    Minnesota, 0%

If the top four do win out (2% chance of that), the playoff is set.

Northwestern reveals goth styled uniforms this week.

I didn't really think about college coaches or NFL coaches teaching tackling. But it makes sense.

There are 16 teams still undefeated in college football. Here's the ranking based on ESPN computers' probability of finishing unbeaten:
    Down to 10 teams after Wisconsin loses as 30 point favorites and Boise blows it in Provo:

Clemson, 71% chance of winning out
    Ohio State, 49%
    Oklahoma, 34%
    Alabama, 30%
    App St, 10%
    LSU, 9%
    Penn St, 6%
    SMU, 4%
    Baylor, 2%
    Minnesota, 0.1%

If the top four do win out (4% chance of that), the playoff is set.

Playoff by conference:

SEC: almost surely will get a team in. Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and Florida are all still alive.
    Big10: Ohio State and Penn State are still in. Wisconsin has an outside chance.
    Big12: OU and Baylor are in the hunt.
    Pac12: Oregon and Utah are the only teams with a shot - obviously behind all the unbeaten teams, but ahead of 1 loss teams from the ACC and maybe the Big12.
    ACC: Clemson is likely to be in. One of the most interesting scenarios involves Clemson losing to a bad ACC team and then finishing 12-1. Do they get in ahead of other 1 loss teams in that situation? They would have a worse SOS than any other 1 loss team, but they are the returning champ and a brand name. I'd love to see the committee wrestle with that one.
    Notre Dame: with one loss, they're still alive, but their SOS won't help them against other 1-loss teams.

The favorite band/singer of all FBS coaches, and my brother's email reaction:

https://watchstadium.com/news/colleg...aw-10-30-2019/

AC: I'm a little surprised by Holgorsen's pick (Prince), and I love that Niumatalolo went with EWF

ACC: Nothing too surprising here. Taggart picking Tupac seems like a recruiting gambit, and Jack Johnson seems right and wrong at the same time for Bronco. Right because Johnson is so vanilla; wrong because I just can't actually picture Bronco listening to music.

B12: Les Miles is definitely taking Taggart's cue here. Love what the state schools are doing in the B12. Gundy definitely looks like he still wants to party like its 1999.

B10: Nunzio went with Billy Joel! Just when things couldn't get any worse for Rutgers. Franklin just loves Jay Z. Loves him. Sure. Ditto for Harbaugh and Marley. Can he name more than one album? We're getting plenty of boring country artists, but at least that fits.

CUSA: Jay Hopson: Woooooooo-wee. Boy, that was a miiiighty fine a-pickin' and a-singin'. Doc Holliday: Nope.

INDY: Impressed for some reason by the Tool pick. Way embarrassed for New Mexico State.

MID: Well, at least we know that Frank Solich is a sincere man. He may have seen an opportunity to pander to seventeen-year-old recruits (probably not), but took the straight shot with the silver bullet.

MWC: I like it when these old, fat dudes, incapable of interesting thought or comment, even though they are requested to speak a few hundred times a week, offer up 80s hair metal as their go to music. They just keep teasing us. An actual personality lurks herein. Also, what a day for Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes!

P12: Wilcox can keep his job, but all the other California coaches have got to go with these picks. Mike Leach solidifies his position as the most interesting coach in college football. Peterson and CCR is a little surprising.

SEC: I bet Sankey and Mullen regret their choices.

SUN: Shawn Elliott is carrying this conference on his back. Someone help this poor man out!

That is fun list. I have no idea who Eric Church is, I assume a country singer.

CCR is the most Ed Orgeron pick there could ever be.

David Shaw with Sade? No wonder Stanford sucks this year. Either that or his wife submitted his pick.

I may have to revisit the Earth, Wind, and Fire playlist. They showed up a surprising number of times.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

With SMU losing, we are down to 7 unbeaten teams. Here they are with ESPN's odds of winning out the regular season:

Clemson, 78%
    Ohio State, 57.4%
    Alabama, 31.3%
    LSU, 11.7%
    Penn State, 9.7%
    Baylor, 2.0%
    Minnesota, 0.2%

They have Utah as strong favorites in each remaining game, but even at around 90% odds per game, our odds of winning all three are just 29.1%.

Playoff picture:

SEC: Down to Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. It's next to impossible for the SEC to get left out, and it's very possible for the SEC to get two teams in. If Bama/LSU is a great game this week, people will want the loser in the playoff. Or, if Georgia wins out, including the SEC title game, a 12-1 title game loser (Bama or LSU) would still have a strong case.
    Big10: Down to Ohio State, Penn State, and Minnesota. Any of these would make it at 13-0, and they all can make it at 12-1 if the loss is the right loss. I don't think there's any way that they get two teams in. Maybe if Ohio State loses to Michigan, misses the title game on a tiebreaker, and finishes 11-1.
    ACC: Clemson. If they win out, they're in. It would be very interesting to see how they are treated with a loss. It would be a bad loss, but they are Clemson.
    Pac-12: Down to Oregon and Utah. Either team at 12-1 would have a strong case, but Oregon's is more sure because they played Auburn. Interestingly, if Oregon had scheduled a cupcake instead of Auburn, they would be a lock. The real questions for the Pac-12 teams are (1) does a 2nd SEC team get in ahead of a Pac-12 champion? and (2) Does a 12-1 Oklahoma get in ahead of a 12-1 Pac-12 team?
    Big12: Down to Oklahoma and Baylor. If Baylor wins out, they are in. If Oklahoma finishes 12-1, are they a lock?

Here's the nightmare scenario for the committee:

Bama/LSU finishes 12-1 with a narrow loss to Georgia in the SEC title game and a convincing win over LSU/Bama.
    Georgia finishes 12-1 with a win over Bama in the SEC title game.
    Oklahoma finishes 12-1 with second win over Baylor in the Big12 title game.
    Oregon/Utah finishes 12-1 with a win in the Pac-12 title game.
    Clemson finishes 12-1 with a loss to Wake Forest and a win in the ACC title game.
    Ohio State finishes 12-1 with a loss to either Penn State or Michigan and a win in the Big10 title game.

Just one more I would change in the nightmare scenario. Georgia loses to Auburn, but then wins the SEC championship.

Florida State fires Willie Taggart today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have Utah as strong favorites in each remaining game, but even at around 90% odds per game, our odds of winning all three are just 29.1%.
    I think that the 29.1% (now at 28.4%) is winning every game we play from now until the end of the season, not just the final 3 regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I think that the 29.1% (now at 28.4%) is winning every game we play from now until the end of the season, not just the final 3 regular season.
    Of course. Sorry. At 90% each, our odds of winning all three are much higher, around 70-75%.

I guess the 28% includes the Pac-12 title game, which means they give us about a 40% chance of beating Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post

Or at least through a conference championship game. ESPN's projections for the last three games mean that ESPN thinks we have a 74.9% chance of winning out through the end of the regular season. Which feels about right.

ESPN thinks Oregon has a 77.5% chance of winning its last 3 games, but also says Oregon's game at ASU is tougher than any game Utah has left.

It also thinks UCLA has a 1.8% chance of winning its last 3 games.

Of course. Sorry. At 90% each, our odds of winning all three are much higher, around 70-75%.
    The Maths has always been your worst subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The Maths has always been your worst subject.
    It's true. Thankfully, no one needs math.

Well, the picture just keeps getting clearer.

SEC: LSU and Georgia are still alive, and Bama is out barring a complete collapse elsewhere. The winner of the SEC title game will get in, and that's probably it. But we should pull for LSU in that game just in case.
    Big10: OSU, Minnesota, and Penn State all still have a shot. Basically, it's whoever wins the Big10 title game. Penn State has to beat OSU to get there.
    ACC: Clemson is in if they keep winning, and how could they not keep winning against their schedule?
    Big12: Oklahoma and Baylor are still in the hunt. Baylor controls its playoff destiny. If OU wins out, it will be pretty tough to leave them out.
    Pac12: Oregon and Utah are still in it. The rest of the conference beat themselves up too much. We can't claim any top 25 wins because of the conference parity.

Basically, the first three spots are locked up, and it will come down to Pac12 vs Big12 for the last spot. There's always room for chaos, but that's what it looks like right now. My suspicion is that the committee would take Oklahoma over Utah.

Well, the picture just keeps getting clearer.

SEC: LSU and Georgia are still alive, and Bama is out barring a complete collapse elsewhere. The winner of the SEC title game will get in, and that's probably it. But we should pull for LSU in that game just in case.
    Big10: OSU, Minnesota, and Penn State all still have a shot. Basically, it's whoever wins the Big10 title game. Penn State has to beat OSU to get there.
    ACC: Clemson is in if they keep winning, and how could they not keep winning against their schedule?
    Big12: Oklahoma and Baylor are still in the hunt. Baylor controls its playoff destiny. If OU wins out, it will be pretty tough to leave them out.
    Pac12: Oregon and Utah are still in it. The rest of the conference beat themselves up too much. We can't claim any top 25 wins because of the conference parity.

Basically, the first three spots are locked up, and it will come down to Pac12 vs Big12 for the last spot. There's always room for chaos, but that's what it looks like right now. My suspicion is that the committee would take Oklahoma over Utah.
    We'll get more clarity on Tuesday but I think you're greatly underestimating the allure of the mighty SEC. I've already seen a lot of justification from talking heads about how Alabama narrowly lost to the best team and Tua wasn't 100%, etc. If Bama finishes strong, including a thumping of Auburn then they may well get in ahead of a 1-loss Big 12 or PAC 12 team.