Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA 2019 Football Season

Bleacher Report article that is listed on CNN's front page right now. Pretty balanced article discussing Utah's merits for the playoff discussion.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Bleacher Report article that is listed on CNN's front page right now. Pretty balanced article discussing Utah's merits for the playoff discussion.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edium=referral
    I think that is a pretty fair assessment of things.

I have to get those UTE mittons that Tyler Huntley is rocking tonight!!!

Championship week! It's down to this for Utah's playoff hopes:

1. Utah beats Oregon (style points matter here)
    2. LSU beats Georgia (style points don't matter here)
    3. Oklahoma/Baylor. We are rooting for Baylor. If Oklahoma wins, we are hoping it's close and ugly and that they lose multiple key starters to injury during the game. Hopefully this game is marred by a major fight or other type of scandal.

The computers still have Utah far behind other playoff hopefuls. Like Clemson, we are relying on the eye test.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

The thing to watch for on Tuesday is the number of Big12 teams ranked in the top 25. If it's just OU and Baylor, the committee is setting themselves up to justify Utah in the playoff. If they also have Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas, and/or Oklahoma State, they are prepping their justifications for jumping OU over us.

I'm not ruling out a monster upset of Clemson by Virginia. I regard Bronco Mendenhall kind of a shrewd and pugnacious competitor. His team will be loose and playing with abandon. That was a nice win over Virginia Tech. I'd love the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm not ruling out a monster upset of Clemson by Virginia. I regard Bronco Mendenhall kind of a shrewd and pugnacious competitor. His team will be loose and playing with abandon. That was a nice win over Virginia Tech. I'd love the irony.
    That would be great...and would be the biggest upset in years. Clemson is favored by 29, almost double the spread of the next most lopsided conference championship game. The UVa team is nice, but it isn't good. They won the worst division in college football because someone had to win it. Still, you never know what will happen in college football.

Just got home from Utah. I'm glad I was able to make the trip for Thanksgiving to see this group on senior day. What a special season.

Y'all know I've been asking for years for a lifetime contract for Whitt. This would be another great season for it. It's a great symbolic gesture to our program's greatest coach. It would be newsworthy because it's not common in college football, and newsworthy is good in a sport where personnel is determined through recruiting.

Sitting there in the cold yesterday, it was hard not to remember the hundreds of times I've seen Utah fans call for Whitt to be fired over the years. This season is the result of sticking with a great head coach. Depending on how long he sticks around, we may get another great season from him.

This is brilliant

This is beyond shocking. Whitt moves into pole position on the "best coach in the Pac-12" power ranking.
    Last edited by sancho; 12-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

This is beyond shocking. Whitt moves into pole position on the "best coach in the Pac-12" power ranking.
    How could he do this after losing to Oregon two straight years and after this season? Whit is a better, tougher man. I almost wonder if there's a scandal. Unbelievable, after being a company guy for so long at Boise.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

How could he do this after losing to Oregon two straight years and after this season? Whit is a better, tougher man. I almost wonder if there's a scandal. Unbelievable, after being a company guy for so long at Boise.
    Sounds like an Urban Meyer situation, only without the shadow of scandal, since he says he is staying in a "leadership advisory role" in the UW athletic department.

I'll be a Husky for life, but now is the right time for me to step away from my head coaching duties, and recharge."

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Sounds like an Urban Meyer situation, only without the shadow of scandal, since he says he is staying in a "leadership advisory role" in the UW athletic department.
    Whit and Petersen have been alter egos and rivals, like the sheepdog and the coyote (Petersen more the former, Whit more the latter, until this season). I'm glad Whit took his measure before Petersen retired. Would be nice to see Whit win his second national title while Petersen has none.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Whit and Petersen have been alter egos and rivals, like the sheepdog and the coyote (Petersen more the former, Whit more the latter, until this season). I'm glad Whit took his measure before Petersen retired. Would be nice to see Whit win his second national title while Petersen has none.

It's a good sign that Oklahoma didn't jump Utah in the CPF rankings this week. But I have to believe it's more like 5A and 5B instead of 5 and 6.

Assuming Georgia loses, and Utah and Oklahoma win this weekend, I think it is going to come down to the type of victory. If Utah struggles to beat Oregon, and Oklahoma easily handles Baylor, or vice versa, the team with the better looking win will move to #4. If both teams win close or easily, then I think Utah keeps the edge and moves to #4.

The unofficial ub5 Bowl Calendar:

Dec 20. Bahamas Bowl. Buffalo vs Charlotte. I hope we all have enough going on at Christmastime to ignore this game.

Dec 20. Frisco Bowl. Utah State vs Kent State. Since I am bitter about football right now, go Flashers.

Dec 21. New Mexico Bowl. Central Michigan vs SDSU. Aztecs, you beat BYU for us, we will root for you here in return. Also, wear the Aztec shield helmets, but make that shield show up more.

Dec 21. Mortage Cure Bowl. Liberty vs Georgia Southern. I don't always watch the Cure Bowl, but when I do, I root for Georgia Southern.

Dec 21. Boca Raton Bowl. SMU vs FAU. Root, root, root for the home team. Owls, show 'em you can do it without that dirtbag Kiffin.

Dec 21. Camellia Bowl. FIU vs Arkie State. Uhhh, I got nothing.

Dec 21. Vegas Bowl. Boise vs Washington. The first must-see game of the bowl season. Go Broncos! When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 21. New Orleans Bowl. App State vs UAB. Historic season for ASU, and it's a shame they didn't get a better opponent. So many things in college football are broken.

Dec 23. Gasparilla Bowl. UCF vs Marshall. If anyone has a dog in this fight, let me know. I'll root with you.

Dec 24. Hawaii Bowl. Hawaii vs BYU. Again, I hope everyone has something better to do on xmas eve. Warriors!

Dec 26. Independence Bowl. La Tech vs Miami. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 26. Quick Lane Bowl. Pitt vs Eastern Mich. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 27. Military Bowl. UNC vs Temple. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 27. Pinstripe Bowl. Michigan State vs Wake. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5...oh, wait. Go Deacons anyway, though. Is Dantonio out?

Dec 27. Texas Bowl. Okie State vs Texas A&M. The real P5 vs P5 stuff starts here. Gotta root against the SEC, and it's always easy to root for the mullet.

Dec 27. Holiday Bowl. USC vs Iowa. How delicious if USC lays an egg here after retaining Helton? Gotta go with Iowa to put USC fans in meltdown mode.

Dec 27. Cheez-It Bowl. AFA vs WSU. Air Force finishes 10-2 and is not ranked. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 28. Cotton Bowl. Penn State vs Memphis. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 28. Camping Bowl. Notre Dame vs Iowa State. Notre Dame was robbed of an Orange Bowl spot. Go Cyclones.

Dec 28. Peach Bowl. Oklahoma vs LSU. I still think, even after the Oregon game, that Utah matches up well with LSU. If the Sooners win, I will revert to "what could have been" mode for a few days. Go Sooners.

Dec 28. Fiesta Bowl. Clemson vs OSU. Go Tigers, I guess. Who really cares? The playoff has, once again, delivered 4 traditional powers. I'm not sure I can even call the playoff must-see TV at this point.

Dec 30. First Responder Bowl. Western Kentucky vs Western Michigan. Go Western!

Dec 30. Music City Bowl. Mississippi vs Louisville. Again, go against the SEC. Go Cards.

Dec 30. Redbox Bowl. Cal vs Illinois. Have you seen Lovie's beard? Can't root against that. Plus, that Illinois is bowl eligible is the unsung minor miracle of the year. Go Illini.

Dec 30. Orange Bowl. Florida vs UVa. I typically root for the underdog in games like these, but the fact that UVa was gifted an undeserved Orange Bowl is enough to pull for a 50-0 Gators beat down. There is no other thing in the world that has as many easily fixable problems that never get fixed as college football.

Dec 31. Belk Bowl. Kentucky vs Va Tech. Just root against the SEC again.

Dec 31. Sun Bowl. ASU vs FSU. Ugh. Blah. Go Noles. I will hate you forever for stealing our Rose Bowl, Herm.

Dec 31. Liberty Bowl. Navy vs K-State. Do you like option football? Then circle this date. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Dec 31. Arizona Bowl. Wyoming vs Georgia State. Utah plays at Wyoming next season, right? That's just a two hour drive for me. Go Cowboys.

Dec 31. Alamo Bowl. Utah @ Texas. This is a Tuesday night. There are no other bowl games on. There are no good bowl games all day Monday or Tuesday (just look above). Everyone will be watching this game. It's a big chance for Utah to get some partial redemption on the road against a power program.

Jan 1. Outback Bowl. Minnesota vs Auburn. The Tigers are overrated at 12. Row that boat, Gophers.

Jan 1. Citrus Bowl. Michigan vs Alabama. The Tide are underrated at 13. Plug your nose, and pull for Harbaugh.

Jan 1. Rose Bowl. Oregon vs Wisconsin. No way I'm pulling for the Ducks after they screwed our chances by losing to Herm. Rooting for Sewell to give up his first 8 sacks of the season.

Jan 1. Sugar Bowl. Georgia vs Baylor. Georgia is the most overrated team in the nation at #5. I hope Baylor validates my claim.

Jan 2. Birmingham Bowl. BC vs Cincy. When in doubt, pull for the G5 over P5.

Jan 2. Gator Bowl. Indiana vs Tennessee. Another chance to root against the SEC. Indiana looked good, but not quite good enough, all season long.

Jan 3. Potato Bowl. Ohio vs Nevada. You've been watching a lot of football. Time to take a break.

Jan 4. Armed Forces Bowl. Southern Miss vs Tulane. I was a Tulane season ticket holder for 4 years. Go Wave! Helluva Hullaballoo!

Jan 6. Lendingtree Bowl. Miami (OH) vs ULL. When you have a chance to root for a team called the Ragin' Cajuns, you probably should do it.
    Last edited by sancho; 12-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Jan 1. Citrus Bowl. Michigan vs Alabama. The Sooners are underrated at 13. Plug your nose, and pull for Harbaugh.

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Jan 1. Citrus Bowl. Michigan vs Alabama. The Sooners are underrated at 13. Plug your nose, and pull for Harbaugh.

Say what?
    Oops, fixed it. Should have said the Tide are underrated.

Wilner's diatribe against Utah dominating the post-season awards was hard to read. He blames it on a conspiracy among the coaches against Oregon. There's another interpretation. Utah's championship game performance was the all-time biggest choke.

The further I get from that game the more I feel that the team just wasn't mentally ready. It's the phenomenon of celebrating too soon, I fear. Why so many Super Bowls are blow outs. One team always feels fortunate to be there, the other one sees getting there the penultimate part of the journey. You need to act and think like being there is not enough. Some have mentioned the stories about the team partying all night after the Colorado game with a short week ahead of them. Of course they read the clippings about how great they were. Whit shouting in the locker room that Alabama lost wasn't helpful.

Meanwhile, you had a very talented and very pissed pride-wounded Oregon team with not really much to lose and a lot to gain.

I still love Whit even though he screwed up the Pac 12 title game of maybe a lifetime.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Wilner's diatribe against Utah dominating the post-season awards was hard to read. He blames it on a conspiracy among the coaches against Oregon. There's another interpretation. Utah's championship game performance was the all-time biggest choke.

The further I get from that game the more I feel that the team just wasn't mentally ready. It's the phenomenon of celebrating too soon, I fear. Why so many Super Bowls are blow outs. One team always feels fortunate to be there, the other one sees getting there the penultimate part of the journey. You need to act and think like being there is not enough. Some have mentioned the stories about the team partying all night after the Colorado game with a short week ahead of them. Of course they read the clippings about how great they were. Whit shouting in the locker room that Alabama lost wasn't helpful.

Meanwhile, you had a very talented and very pissed pride-wounded Oregon team with not really much to lose and a lot to gain.

I still love Whit even though he screwed up the Pac 12 title game of maybe a lifetime.
    It is my understanding that the team is voted on by the coaches. I also seem to remember that there were some coaches who expressed in a confidential manner that they think Cristobal runs a dirty program.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It is my understanding that the team is voted on by the coaches. I also seem to remember that there were some coaches who expressed in a confidential manner that they think Cristobal runs a dirty program.
    Maybe. This was still nut-job conspiracy theory stuff from Wilner.

Fun to see USC go down. If I'm a USC trustee, I'm trying to get the president fired ASAP.

Wazzu just gave up a 12 minute TD drive to Air Force. Go Falcons!

Fun to see USC go down. If I'm a USC trustee, I'm trying to get the president fired ASAP.
    The current state of USC highlights the difference between SC and other traditional college football powers. There's no way Bama or Ohio State keep Helton after finishing last in the conference in recruiting. But USC is not like traditional college football powers. They don't have a huge, rabid fan base. They are a private school in a city that doesn't care.

What a stinker of a game with OU and LSU. I wish Utah had finished our business vs Oregon. I think we'd have done better against LSU. I wonder if Joe Burrow will make it in the NFL or if he's another college QB putting up big numbers because he's in the right system. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The 2nd game was very close to becoming another blowout. A huge targeting call (which was controversial but correct in my opinion) turned it around. Without that call, OSU walks to a 30 point win. The play of the game was the linebacker running down Dobbins on his 2nd 60 yard run. Dude prevented a TD, and Clemson held OSU to a FG. Those 4 points were huge. The 2nd controversial call - the OSU fumble recovery for a TD - was wrong in my opinion. That was a catch and fumble. If that pass occurs in the end zone, it's a TD 100% of the time.

It was a weird game. Not many sustained drives, just big plays. Clemson scored on a 70 yard scramble from Lawrence. Lawrence didn't look sharp at all with the ball until his game winning drive. Clemson doesn't look like they can play with LSU, but the game is 2 weeks away. Anything can happen.

These games should have been on New Year's. You can always count on college football to mess up the easy stuff.
    Last edited by sancho; 12-29-2019 at 08:10 AM.

What a stinker of a game with OU and LSU. I wish Utah had finished our business vs Oregon. I think we'd have done better against LSU. I wonder if Joe Burrow will make it in the NFL or if he's another college QB putting up big numbers because he's in the right system. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The 2nd game was very close to becoming another blowout. A huge targeting call (which was controversial but correct in my opinion) turned it around. Without that call, OSU walks to a 30 point win. The play of the game was the linebacker running down Dobbins on his 2nd 60 yard run. Dude prevented a TD, and Clemson held OSU to a FG. Those 4 points were huge. The 2nd controversial call - the OSU fumble recovery for a TD - was wrong in my opinion. That was a catch and fumble. If that pass occurs in the end zone, it's a TD 100% of the time.

It was a weird game. Not many sustained drives, just big plays. Clemson scored on a 70 yard scramble from Lawrence. Lawrence didn't look sharp at all with the ball until his game winning drive. Clemson doesn't look like they can play with LSU, but the game is 2 weeks away. Anything can happen.

These games should have been on New Year's. You can always count on college football to mess up the easy stuff.
    LSU is more talented than the Utes, but the Utes could have given them a game depending on intangible factors. If the Utes were as ill-prepared in every way to play LSU as they were Oregon they would have been blown out to smithereens. The disparity in natural ability when playing these schools is such that the Utes have to be really ready for the game.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Okay, game on! May we play better than we look!

We have fallen far from where we were in November.