Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA 2019 Football Season

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Tempe is always a horrible place to play. But I disagree with him. This ASU team seems to have mailed it in.
    Couldn't agree more. Ducks will crush the Devils.

The thing that calls me over the next few weeks is that we need to root for USC, UW, AND Oregon. Makes me feel icky just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I want agree. But then I think back to close games Oregon had against WSU and Cal. ASU beat both of those teams, so they could potentially give Oregon some trouble.

I know the transitive property in college football isn't real, and hopefully Oregon is playing better and ASU has given up. But for some reason, I'm a bit nervous for our Duck conference mates.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Playoff selection is a lottery to see who gets to be murdered by Chase Young.

...and Penn State has been eliminated.

The hopeful list is now: LSU, OSU, Clemson, Minnesota, Georgia, Utah, Oregon, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

The hopeful list is now: LSU, OSU, Clemson, Minnesota, Georgia, Utah, Oregon, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Alabama.
    If the U and the Ducks win out, I am convinced the winner of their game will get into the playoff unless Ga beats LSU. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    If the U and the Ducks win out, I am convinced the winner of their game will get into the playoff unless Ga beats LSU. Knock on wood.
    Seems very likely. I don't know if they would treat a non-champ OSU as well as a non-champ LSU. OSU's resume would be just as good as LSU's.

I also keep thinking that Oklahoma has a chance based on having more top 25 wins than Utah/Oregon.

Seems very likely. I don't know if they would treat a non-champ OSU as well as a non-champ LSU. OSU's resume would be just as good as LSU's.

I also keep thinking that Oklahoma has a chance based on having more top 25 wins than Utah/Oregon.
    I think that if Oklahoma had a chance they would have passed us this week. If they haven't passed us by now I don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think that if Oklahoma had a chance they would have passed us this week. If they haven't passed us by now I don't think they will.
    This is probably right, but the committee has flipped rankings before. They regularly cite top 25 wins, and they have flipped rankings based on style points before.

...and Oregon has been eliminated. Down to LSU, OSU, Clemson, Minnesota, Georgia, Utah, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Alabama. Utah's road just got harder with Oregon losing. On the bright side, the conference should be 100% behind us.

Ducks ducking things up. Down 24-7 in the 4th.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Unbelievable! Ducks lay an egg. Why couldn’t it have been Baylor or Georgia screwing up instead?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Unbelievable! Ducks lay an egg. Why couldn’t it have been Baylor or Georgia screwing up instead?
    And Oklahoma just dodged a bullet, again.

Makes you wonder about the Pac-12. We are clearly better than most teams in the conference...but maybe the conference just isn't good.

Was that our first poor clock management of the season?

Oregon lost the momentum in their game by failing on 4th and 1. I hope ours don't come back to haunt us tonight.

Oklahoma probably has a tougher SOS, but hasn’t dominated games like we have. Close games at home against ~.500 Iowa St and TCU aren’t that impressive. And our losses are looking pretty similar.

They still have to play OSU and Baylor who are probably top 25 teams. We have Oregon who may be top 15.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-23-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Oklahoma probably has a tougher SOS, but hasn’t dominated games like we have. Close games at home against ~.500 Iowa St and TCU aren’t that impressive. And our losses are looking pretty similar.
    I think there are a lot of good arguments for a 12-1 Utah over 12-1 Oklahoma, but I also think the committee doesn't do research or subtlety. They could just count up the number of top 25 wins and call it a day. Plus, the computers prefer Oklahoma so far.

Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-24-2019 at 09:15 AM.

I think it's an accurate picture of Utah. We really haven't played anyone, but we've won big enough to be convincing. The best team we played - USC - beat us. I know we're very good, but I don't know what happens when we play LSU or Clemson. I hope we find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utah and Georgia can't both control their destiny. If Georgia beats LSU, both Georgia and LSU are in regardless of what Utah does.

Final week of the regular season! Here are the results we care most about, ranked in order of likelihood. Most of the results we want are in the "unlikely" category or worse, but the game we care the most about is in the "extremely likely" category:

Extremely likely:

Utah over Colorado (28 point spread)

Toss-Up:

Wisconsin over Minnesota (Wisc favored by 2.5)

Unlikely:

Auburn over Alabama (4 points, I don't gamble but this seems like easy money...Auburn is not good)
    Michigan over Ohio State (8.5 points)

Extremely unlikely:

Okie State over Oklahoma (12 points, Oklahoma has flirted with disaster 3 weeks in a row...I think they win this in a blowout)
    Kansas over Baylor (I can't find a spread)
    Texas A&M over LSU (17 points)

Impossible:

Georgia Tech over Georgia (28 points)
    South Carolina over Clemson (24.5 points)
    Last edited by sancho; 11-25-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Final week of the regular season! Here are the results we care most about, ranked in order of likelihood. Most of the results we want are in the "unlikely" category or worse, but the game we care the most about is in the "extremely likely" category:

Extremely likely:

Utah over Colorado (28 point spread)

Likely:

Ohio State over Michigan (8.5 points)

Toss-Up:

Wisconsin over Minnesota (Wisc favored by 2.5)

Unlikely:

Auburn over Alabama (4 points, I don't gamble but this seems like easy money...Auburn is not good)

Extremely unlikely:

Okie State over Oklahoma (12 points, Oklahoma has flirted with disaster 3 weeks in a row...I think they win this in a blowout)
    Kansas over Baylor (I can't find a spread)
    Texas A&M over LSU (17 points)

Impossible:

Georgia Tech over Georgia (28 points)
    South Carolina over Clemson (24.5 points)
    C'mon South Carolina!

BTW, I don't think we necessairly want Ohio State, do we? I mean if they lost to Michigan that doesn't put Michigan in the CFP, and then if Ohio State lost to Minnesota (or Wisc) in the Big 10 title we wouldn't have Ohio State in the CFP!!!!!!

Swish!!!!

C'mon South Carolina!

BTW, I don't think we necessairly want Ohio State, do we? I mean if they lost to Michigan that doesn't put Michigan in the CFP, and then if Ohio State lost to Minnesota (or Wisc) in the Big 10 title we wouldn't have Ohio State in the CFP!!!!!!
    Oh hey, you're right. I was thinking that one of Michigan's losses was to Notre Dame, but I was wrong. They got whooped by Wisconsin and lost to Penn State.

That shifts the Ohio State game down into unlikely territory. Not a lot of hope with this list of games.

I was just making some travel plans to the Bay Area next weekend, and I started thinking about how much fun has this football season been. It has a similar feeling now to 2004. There is not much doubt if we will win, just by how much. And being included in the national discussion about one of he best teams in the country.

Remember in 2004, we had to be in the top 6 to guarantee a BCS bowl, and were battling with Texas and Cal for the last position. Texas lost on the last weekend, and we nudged out an inactive Cal for the #6 spot. Similar to now, only we have to be in the top 4 for the playoffs, and Oklahoma and Alabama are the other players.

We have had 2 home games that fans complained were too hot (85 degrees and sunny, proving fans will complain about anything), then two very wet and rainy games. The last two night games were not too cold, and Saturday will be possibly cold and snowy.

We have a bunch of players that stand out and will be memorable for years to come. Huntley, Moss, Kuithe, Anae, Bernard, Blackmon, Johnson. Many will be playing on Sundays next year. And some great stories behind them, such as the Hallendale Trio, lightly recruited Kuithe and Anae, Bernard's redemption, Blackmon being a local guy, and Johnson working his plan to perfection. And this from a clean program, with a hard working and loyal head coach and staff.

I guess my point is, enjoy this while it is here. Sometimes it's hard to recognize the good times in the moment. It's been a long time since the Sugar Bowl, these type of seasons don't come along that often.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-26-2019 at 10:46 AM.

With a Oregon dropping 8 spots and Baylor moving up 5, I think it’s clear that if Oklahoma wins out, they’ll get the 4 spot (assuming Georgia loses to LSU, and I think either or both 12-1 conference champs jump Alabama).

Oklahoma has a chance to get one more top 20 and top 10 win, while we’ll have an unranked and top 15 win (at the time the games are played).

With a Oregon dropping 8 spots and Baylor moving up 5, I think it’s clear that if Oklahoma wins out, they’ll get the 4 spot (assuming Georgia loses to LSU, and I think either or both 12-1 conference champs jump Alabama).

Oklahoma has a chance to get one more top 20 and top 10 win, while we’ll have an unranked and top 15 win (at the time the games are played).
    I agree with you. That was a huge jump for Baylor. Both Baylor and Oklahoma have been so close to losing all season, but they always managed to escape. Bummer.

That said, I still see national pundits who say Utah will be the 4 seed. We don't have the quality wins, but you can't deny the utter dominance.

I agree with you. That was a huge jump for Baylor. Both Baylor and Oklahoma have been so close to losing all season, but they always managed to escape. Bummer.

That said, I still see national pundits who say Utah will be the 4 seed. We don't have the quality wins, but you can't deny the utter dominance.
    Yeah, style points are the wildcard. If we blow out CO and OR, and Ok squeaks by OSU and Baylor, it might be enough to get us in.