Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Husky Free Utah - No Illinois at Utah

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I want BYU to win tonight. 23-23 in OT right now. It’ll add luster to our beating them convincingly.
    What kind of a fool Utah fan wouldn’t want BYU to win every game after Utah beats them? A fool like Sancho. Who else?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    What kind of a fool Utah fan wouldn’t want BYU to win every game after Utah beats them? A fool like Sancho. Who else?
    Haha. Who would cheer for them (without a relative on their team, I mean)? Good for your boy.

But Tennessee? Woof. They will win next week and that might be it for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Haha. Who would cheer for them (without a relative on their team, I mean)? Good for your boy.

But Tennessee? Woof. They will win next week and that might be it for the year.
    I bet BYU fans will figure it out that they should want Tennessee to win from now on.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Against Tennessee, it helps Utah a bit that BYU won.

The next two weeks, gotta support the conference.

After that, BYU wins help the Utes, a little. (Of course, we need to take care of business, else it doesn't matter).

I think our recruiting overlap has gotten smaller, and we've disabused ourselves of the idea that because we're a PAC school, we'll be able to keep the highest quality kids in state.

(I'm really happy the Holy War is over, for this season. That was a nice fringe benefit of last week.)

The fool that had khabib and Tennessee on a moneyline parlay
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

After a quick review of the BYU sports boards, it seems clear your blue brethren don’t share your enthusiasm of cheering for its rival. You’d think they’d be pumped at Utah’s dub in Rice-Eccles today as it gives them a quality loss, but no, they still hate Utah and continue to cheer against us. 😢
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    After a quick review of the BYU sports boards, it seems clear your blue brethren don’t share your enthusiasm of cheering for its rival. You’d think they’d be pumped at Utah’s dub in Rice-Eccles today as it gives them a quality loss, but no, they still hate Utah and continue to cheer against us.
    Yes, but who cares?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I bet BYU fans will figure it out that they should want Tennessee to win from now on.
    Sorry to disappoint our cougar brethren, but Tennessee ain't going to pull up that SOS! I predict 3 wins on the year for the Vols.

Husky Free Utah - No Illinois at Utah

Sooo.... Back to the Utah game. I was in my office working, but had the game playing on my iPad thanks to Sling TV. I watched, but not closely. What was wrong with our secondary during the first half? Just wondering about the big plays we gave up.

We clearly fixed that in the second half. Kragthorpe:

Defensive end Bradlee Anae recorded two of his three sacks in the second half as the Utes held NIU to 69 total yards, after allowing 233 yards before halftime.

That total included an 88-yard drive and a 74-yard TD pass, while Blackmon was briefly sidelined with an injury. NIU quarterback Ross Bowers, a transfer from California, passed for 202 yards in the first half. But he threw for only 27 yards in the second half, while losing 20 yards via sacks.

In the second half, Utah's defense “came out with a more pissed-off attitude,” Anae said.
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...no-utah-takes/
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-08-2019 at 07:38 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Sooo.... Back to the Utah game. I was in my office working, but had the game playing on my iPad thanks to Sling TV. I watched, but not closely. What was wrong with our secondary during the first half? Just wondering about the big plays we gave up.

We clearly fixed that in the second half. Kragthorpe:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...no-utah-takes/
    Both of those drives came while Blackmon was on the sidelines with a tweaked knee. Some of it likely had to do with second stringers with not much game time under their belts making mistakes.

It’s also worth noting Leki Fotu was out yesterday as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Even without Fotu the D-line was great at pressuring the QB. I hope our backup DBs improve with experience. Otherwise injuries will be a big deal.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    After a quick review of the BYU sports boards, it seems clear your blue brethren don’t share your enthusiasm of cheering for its rival. You’d think they’d be pumped at Utah’s dub in Rice-Eccles today as it gives them a quality loss, but no, they still hate Utah and continue to cheer against us. 
    It depends on how ambitious you are for the Utes. With the position our conference has gotten itself into for national respect, if the Utes are on the margin for a Final Four or Big Bowl berth, preseason matters a lot. If the course of the season shows that they played a stout pre-season it could make the difference.

I have for a very long in general time found both BYU and Utah fan bases to be appalling. Lowest common denominator of the respective institutions’ constituents. If you know me that won’t surprise you.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It depends on how ambitious you are for the Utes. With the position our conference has gotten itself into for national respect, if the Utes are on the margin for a Final Four or Big Bowl berth, preseason matters a lot. If the course of the season shows that they played a stout pre-season it could make the difference.

I have for a very long in general time found both BYU and Utah fan bases to be appalling. Lowest common denominator of the respective institutions’ constituents. If you know me that won’t surprise you.
    I agree with you regarding the folks who populate fan message boards. I’m generalizing, but they tend to represent the worst traits of the rest of their fan base. There are many exceptions here and elsewhere.

As for BYU, I’m almost always happy to see them lose, but you are right. At the regular season’s end our bowl and playoff fate may be decided by the tiniest of margins. We have an interest in every one of Utah’s non-conference opponents doing well. The better they do, the better we look. That’s just reality.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-08-2019 at 02:18 PM.

--Yeats

I know it benefit ted us, but the targeting rule is so dumb. The defender was so low to the ground and the only reason Thompson's helmet was hit was because Thompson was crouching down. I don't know what the defender can do more than he did. And it's not as if Thompson is "defenseless"; he saw it coming for two steps! Just stupid that something that is so fundamental to the game (wrap up and tackle) can result in an ejection + 1/2 game suspension, overturning a turnover (hold on to the damn ball, Thompson!).
    I have given up trying to understand the targeting rule.

Watching Tennessee fans melt down a week after Cougar fans melt down is like extra whipped cream on a chocolate sundae.

This seems like something PAC-12 refs would do.

kickoff.jpeg

As for BYU, I’m almost always happy to see them lose, but you are right. At the regular season’s end our bowl and playoff fate may be decided by the tiniest of margins. We have an interest in every one of Utah’s non-conference opponents doing well. The better they do, the better we look. That’s just reality.
    The odds of this happening are so low that it makes more sense to just root against BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The odds of this happening are so low that it makes more sense to just root against BYU.
    If I were you, I would not reveal that I am this kind of person.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

If I were you, I would not reveal that I am this kind of person.
    LOL. SeattleUte shaming people who cheer against BYU. Let the second coming commence....

LOL. SeattleUte shaming people who cheer against BYU. Let the second coming commence....
    His views are evolving and his stony heart is softening. Be gentle with him.

--Yeats

The good news for every poster here that isn't essentially a saturday morning cartoon is that you can safely cheer for BYU to lose the next two weeks and still hold to your core philosophy.

Sancho's nihilism is breathtaking. His reasoning: Utah is so unlikely to ever attain an opportunity such that the quality of its preseason schedule will ever matter that he'd rather indulge his private masturbatory hope that BYU loses. Gross, and sad.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    The good news for every poster here that isn't essentially a saturday morning cartoon is that you can safely cheer for BYU to lose the next two weeks and still hold to your core philosophy.
    The way I see it we are talking about sports. Games! No need to get into a discussion of nihilistic anything. I cheer for my team, the Utes, and I hope for outcomes in other teams' games that benefit my team. So if BYU winning helps the Utes, I am fine with that. Still, because I find many of their fans insufferable, I don't shed any tears when BYU loses.

--Yeats

The way I see it we are talking about sports. Games! No need to get into a discussion of nihilistic anything. I cheer for my team, the Utes, and I hope for outcomes in other teams' games that benefit my team. So if BYU winning helps the Utes, I am fine with that. Still, because I find many of their fans insufferable, I don't shed any tears when BYU loses.
    I just root for my team and against my rival. It's not complicated or unusual. It may be nihilistic. I don't really know. I'm certain it's not masturbatory. Seattle is known for misusing big words, but something tells me he knows what that one means.

It's a mystery why these games matter so much. There was a freakonomiks podcast about it--the hugely outsized role of sports in media and culture. It's a sliver of a university's financial picture, and the cardboard box industry is larger than all pro sports combined. The practical outcome of any game on anyone--except the participants and betters--is nil. Yet fans live and die by it; allow themselves to become pigs over it. It's revolting if you think about it--I loathe myself for it, as I've been a Ute fan since I was seven (and have a clear memory of my first game). I'm sure it's about dopamine levels. Spectator sports, the opiate of the masses.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I just root for my team and against my rival. It's not complicated or unusual. It may be nihilistic. I don't really know. I'm certain it's not masturbatory. Seattle is known for misusing big words, but something tells me he knows what that one means.
    Nihilism is "the rejection of all religious and moral principles, in the belief that life is meaningless." I don't think that's an apt description of sports fans cheering against their team's rival.

If it is, then the ardent fans of UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State and Florida are a bunch of nihilists because they regularly cheer for their rivals to lose.

So -- ardent UCLA fans are happy when USC loses and vice-versa. It's part of being a sports fan. Some mentally deranged people are even happy when the Dodgers lose.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-09-2019 at 05:07 PM.

--Yeats

Simple fact, BYU will win or lose regardless of what I do or do not do. Nothing I do will have any impact on their season. For that matter, nothing I do will impact the Ute's season. Since I literally have no control over these things, I'm just going to step back and enjoy whatever happens.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Simple fact, BYU will win or lose regardless of what I do or do not do. Nothing I do will have any impact on their season. For that matter, nothing I do will impact the Ute's season. Since I literally have no control over these things, I'm just going to step back and enjoy whatever happens.