Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husky Free Utah - No Illinois at Utah

Husky Free Utah - No Illinois at Utah

11 am mountain time kickoff. Utes are 22 point favorites. I unfortunately will miss the first half due to my son's football game.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Can we talk a little about the game? Has TJ Green recovered from his injury? What RBs will we see on Saturday.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Can we talk a little about the game? Has TJ Green recovered from his injury? What RBs will we see on Saturday.
    Green wasn’t mentioned by KW at all so I doubt we will see him

Sounds like Moss and Wilmore will be the featured backs. DHC is a change up back, and Brumfield will be a short yardage back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can I just say that I love the kick off time?!?!?! Marvelous!

I don't know anything about Northern Illinois other than having watched the Utah game last year. Their defense was really good last year (combined with our offense being really bad). But their offense was truly horrific. Unless they've recruited some studs, I would imagine that we'll see some trick plays out of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Can I just say that I love the kick off time?!?!?! Marvelous!

I don't know anything about Northern Illinois other than having watched the Utah game last year. Their defense was really good last year (combined with our offense being really bad). But their offense was truly horrific. Unless they've recruited some studs, I would imagine that we'll see some trick plays out of desperation.
    I'm all for an afternoon game but can we make it at 1pm mountain? Why 11 am mountain?

I'm all for an afternoon game but can we make it at 1pm mountain? Why 11 am mountain?
    I don't mind the 11 am kick for a game like this...get it over with, etc., gives you the rest of your day. I do wish they'd found a way to put it on ESPN2 or FS1, but again, people will likely be only looking at the box score over the next two weeks.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I am a fan of evening games. I have things to do during daylight hours, it’s at night I want entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am a fan of evening games. I have things to do during daylight hours, it’s at night I want entertainment.
    Agreed. We are empty-nesters now, so this start time isn’t such a big problem, but when our kids were young Saturday mornings were devoted to their activities. I think it’s a bad time for a football game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Agreed. We are empty-nesters now, so this start time isn’t such a big problem, but when our kids were young Saturday mornings were devoted to their activities. I think it’s a bad time for a football game.
    You are both too young to remember the days of regular noon kickoffs. Sad.

You are both too young to remember the days of regular noon kickoffs. Sad.
    Those were pre-kids.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Looks like we are witnessing one of Utah‘s patented slow starts.

--Yeats

Looks like we are witnessing one of Utah‘s patented slow starts.
    And now the patented shaking off of the cobwebs.

--Yeats

Husky Free Utah - No Illinois at Utah

In a pre-season meeting with boosters Ludwig did say he’d be using the fly sweep as a basic component of the offense. It worked well that time!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-07-2019 at 11:43 AM.

--Yeats

In a pre-season meeting with boosters Ludwig did say he’d be using the fly sweep as a basic component of the offense. It worked well that time!
    Second TD for that play in two weeks.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Not much offense in last year's game. Not much defense in this game.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Not much offense in last year's game. Not much defense in this game.
    True. Not against the pass, at least, from what I’ve seen.

--Yeats

4 trips to the red zone = 4 touchdowns and an 11 point lead early in the second half.

And now the defense gets two stops.

INT gives the O a short field!

Followed by a targeting call on NIU. . . .

. . . And a Utah touchdown!

5 for 5 in the red zone.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 09-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.

INT gives the O a short field!

Followed by a targeting call on NIU. . . .

. . . And a Utah touchdown!

5 for 5 in the red zone.
    I know it benefit ted us, but the targeting rule is so dumb. The defender was so low to the ground and the only reason Thompson's helmet was hit was because Thompson was crouching down. I don't know what the defender can do more than he did. And it's not as if Thompson is "defenseless"; he saw it coming for two steps! Just stupid that something that is so fundamental to the game (wrap up and tackle) can result in an ejection + 1/2 game suspension, overturning a turnover (hold on to the damn ball, Thompson!).

I know it benefit ted us, but the targeting rule is so dumb. The defender was so low to the ground and the only reason Thompson's helmet was hit was because Thompson was crouching down. I don't know what the defender can do more than he did. And it's not as if Thompson is "defenseless"; he saw it coming for two steps! Just stupid that something that is so fundamental to the game (wrap up and tackle) can result in an ejection + 1/2 game suspension, overturning a turnover (hold on to the damn ball, Thompson!).
    The defender did lower his head to deliver the hit with the crown of his helmet. In this case, the rule is to protect the defender as much as the ball carrier. The defender could break seriously injure his head or neck if he keeps tackling like that.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-07-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

5 for 5 in the red zone.
    Love that stat!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The defender did lower his head to deliver the hit with the crown of his helmet. In this case, the rule is to protect the defender as much as the ball carrier. The defender could break seriously injure his head or neck if he keeps tackling like that.
    I disagree. The defender lowered his head to make the tackle and if the receiver did not then lower his head the point of contact would have been at the waist.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I disagree. The defender lowered his head to make the tackle and if the receiver did not then lower his head the point of contact would have been at the waist.
    Contact does not have to be with the ball carrier’s head for it to be targeting.

The college targeting rule bans two kinds of hits.

• Any “forcible contact” to the head or neck area of defenseless opponent
    • Leading with the crown of the helmet to make “forcible contact” anywhere

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/9/17...nfl-comparison

• Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...rule-explained
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-07-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Contact does not have to be with the ball carrier’s head for it to be targeting.

The college targeting rule bans two kinds of hits.

• Any “forcible contact” to the head or neck area of defenseless opponent
    • Leading with the crown of the helmet to make “forcible contact” anywhere

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/9/17...nfl-comparison

• Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...rule-explained
    I'm not saying that it was not targeting by rule. I was agreeing with the post that Applejack's post that the rule as enforced is dumb. I would say that when the offensive player lowers his head such that there is he'd-to-head contact with the crowns of the head, that it should not be targeting.

Why didn’t Shelley do the garbage minutes?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I asked the same question. My only thought was they either want redshirt Shelly it let the senior lisk in

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I've heard rumors that lisk is ahead of Shelley. Probably that plus maybe wanting to redshirt Shelley?

I asked the same question. My only thought was they either want redshirt Shelly it let the senior lisk in
    He hasn’t already been redshirted?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I want BYU to win tonight. 23-23 in OT right now. It’ll add luster to our beating them convincingly.

--Yeats