Thread: Idaho St @ Utah 9/14/19

Idaho St @ Utah 9/14/19

Game is at 4:15 EST (2:15 Mountain) on the PAC12 network. Not much to say about Idaho St other than they have already had a bye week.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

They are the Bengals.

That's about all I can think of.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I thought ISU would have more ties to Utah, as close as it is. Only 5 players are listed from Utah. Lei Talamaivao is an assistant coach as well.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I thought ISU would have more ties to Utah, as close as it is. Only 5 players are listed from Utah. Lei Talamaivao is an assistant coach as well.
    Also Steve Fifita resigned as recruiting coordinator recently. Lea took his spot as DL coach. David Fiefia is a WVC guy and DB coach Kam Yancy is a Ute.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    They are the Bengals.

That's about all I can think of.
    Official colors: Roarange and Growling Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Almost completely bi-color = good look. If it were completely bi-color, it would be a great look. I think there's hope yet for our uniform people to figure things out.

Me too. I looked this up yesterday. Apparently Spencer Toone was their DC, but did not have his contract renewed. I couldn't find if he had landed anywhere.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Intersting. Yeah, there is a lot of history between the coaching staffs. Kyle started his career there as a DLine coach IIRC.

Riley called this game a "rent-a-win." He doesn't like such games. I don't either but I understand why schools schedule them.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Riley called this game a "rent-a-win." He doesn't like such games. I don't either but I understand why schools schedule them.
    Going to Provo to watch BYU/USC is almost more tempting. But loyalty and my hatred of going to Provo will put me at RES on Saturday instead.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I literally can't give away tickets to this game. I know Whittingham was frustrated with the size of the crowd against NIU. It will probably be best for him not to look at the stands at all on Saturday.

I literally can't give away tickets to this game. I know Whittingham was frustrated with the size of the crowd against NIU. It will probably be best for him not to look at the stands at all on Saturday.
    I know he likes to say "we play who they put in front of us" "They" being the AD. I would imagine if he had said to Hill or Harlan "stop scheduling these FCS teams" that might go a long way towards getting folks there. Look at Colorado's schedule...vs. CSU, vs. Nebraska, vs. Air Force. That would be just fine.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I know he likes to say "we play who they put in front of us" "They" being the AD. I would imagine if he had said to Hill or Harlan "stop scheduling these FCS teams" that might go a long way towards getting folks there. Look at Colorado's schedule...vs. CSU, vs. Nebraska, vs. Air Force. That would be just fine.
    College football scheduling...the world's easiest problem that will never actually be solved. My daughter in the 2nd grade could develop a good scheduling system for this sport yet we continue with the ridiculous mess of a "system" year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    College football scheduling...the world's easiest problem that will never actually be solved. My daughter in the 2nd grade could develop a good scheduling system for this sport yet we continue with the ridiculous mess of a "system" year after year.
    Even if you just popped in NCAA '14 and had it generate your schedule, you'd probably do better than most of these ADs.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Even if you just popped in NCAA '14 and had it generate your schedule, you'd probably do better than most of these ADs.
    True, but it's not the ADs' fault. We just need a general system. The ADs shouldn't have to waste time on this. It should just be handed down. I know I'd tune into the schedule lottery every other Spring to see who my team is playing home/away with for the next two seasons. You could ensure that every P5 plays a P5 and a G5. You could drop the FCS games altogether.

Greed is killing this sport, and scheduling is one part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Game is at 4:15 EST (2:15 Mountain) on the PAC12 network. Not much to say about Idaho St other than they have already had a bye week.
    Sort of. They opened their season on thurs, sept 5 and have only played 1 game.

ISU is a middle-of-the-pack Big Sky team. They should put up a fight in the early going. My main hope is no injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Sort of. They opened their season on thurs, sept 5 and have only played 1 game.

ISU is a middle-of-the-pack Big Sky team. They should put up a fight in the early going. My main hope is no injuries.
    That’s mostly because they were supposed to play us on August 29th but we moved the game to schedule BYU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blackmon not warming up, has a brace on his leg.

Where did these refs come from?

Never seen a more unqualified crew

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Where did these refs come from?

Never seen a more unqualified crew

They created the longest 3rd quarter I've ever sat through, barring weather delays.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell