Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Coliseum: Utah vs. USC 2019

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Basketball might have been superior at some point, but the NBA has turned a great team game into something I can no longer watch.
    Not to derail this thread more than it already has been, but I will never understand this argument. The NBA is SOOOOOO much better than the product they had in the 90s and 00s. I mean, teams couldn't shoot back then! They also did dumb, boring stuff like throw it down low to some big post guy that wasn't skilled. The NBA today is so much more team oriented (watch the Warriors, Raptors, Jazz, etc). And, everyone can shoot! If you watch the great Jazz teams, you'll be shocked how bad the shooting is: one good shooter (Hornacek) who can't do much else, one pg (Stockton) that doesn't shoot for some reason even though he shoots around 50% fg, a terrible shooting sf who is a good defender (Russell), a power forward that shoots the worst shots in basketball (20 footers) but he makes a lot of them, and a center (Ostertag, Foster, Carr) that is a waste of space. Nowadays you would never have a championship level team that starts BRuss and Ostertag. The NBA from the 90s is the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Saw this on Facebook, from Eric Lund. It has the ring of truth:

I believe that if we win, it will be because we played smart and disciplined and they did not. If an Urban Meyer type ever becomes HC at USC, success against them will become much more difficult for us and for the rest of the PAC-12.
    obviously USC has an 18 year old qb, who will play better at home than on the road, but is very inexperienced and have difficulty reading defenses under pressure. I also heard somebody say that USC's athletes don't really fit Graham Harrell's air raid system. USC has athletes who overpower you--qb's who can throw long and receivers who can go up and catch and then race you to the end zone. they are designed for big flashy chunk plays that get lots of yardage. The air raid offense is for 6 and 7 yard play after play. this person said those were open all day against the Y, but USC kept wanting to overpower the Y with big play after big play and it didn't work.

Geez i hope we win this.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-17-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Not to derail this thread more than it already has been, but I will never understand this argument. The NBA is SOOOOOO much better than the product they had in the 90s and 00s. I mean, teams couldn't shoot back then! They also did dumb, boring stuff like throw it down low to some big post guy that wasn't skilled. The NBA today is so much more team oriented (watch the Warriors, Raptors, Jazz, etc). And, everyone can shoot! If you watch the great Jazz teams, you'll be shocked how bad the shooting is: one good shooter (Hornacek) who can't do much else, one pg (Stockton) that doesn't shoot for some reason even though he shoots around 50% fg, a terrible shooting sf who is a good defender (Russell), a power forward that shoots the worst shots in basketball (20 footers) but he makes a lot of them, and a center (Ostertag, Foster, Carr) that is a waste of space. Nowadays you would never have a championship level team that starts BRuss and Ostertag. The NBA from the 90s is the stone age.
    I guess I just don't like constant pick and roll and one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Saw this on Facebook, from Eric Lund. It has the ring of truth:

I believe that if we win, it will be because we played smart and disciplined and they did not. If an Urban Meyer type ever becomes HC at USC, success against them will become much more difficult for us and for the rest of the PAC-12.
    I read something after the Stanford game that USC had spaced its OL a bit wider than normal to buy time for their Frosh QB. I read that and said, "PLEASE do that against Utah." I predict that Utah will be in his face early to force him to make mistakes and ultimately force the run (like BYU did) and then they'll stack the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I read something after the Stanford game that USC had spaced its OL a bit wider than normal to buy time for their Frosh QB. I read that and said, "PLEASE do that against Utah." I predict that Utah will be in his face early to force him to make mistakes and ultimately force the run (like BYU did) and then they'll stack the box.
    They did the same against BYU. Huge spacing on the line, and K. Tonga schooled their center most of the game.

Two days until pac season! I'll be in the house to watch the Utes win by 45 in the Coliseum!

Pretty crazy to see stuff like this coming from out of the USC camp. I find that I have to pinch myself from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This. Not up for debate. I think the argument made to the contrary is made by people who could never play, never did play, at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Pretty crazy to see stuff like this coming from out of the USC camp. I find that I have to pinch myself from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, I'm not sure I buy this. I mean, USC is coming off a loss to BYU. That must hurt! I mean, it must, right? I don't really remember, I was so young back in those days.

I would say that USC's d-line should dominate our O-line. As good as Moss is, he was hit in the backfield about a dozen times against Idaho State. And I assume USC has better guys on the d-line than Idaho State. The unit that has worried my the most this year is the O-line. We are super duper thin on the line, and some of the guys are really raw (Maea). I was hoping that they'd have gotten their feet under them now, but no such luck. I am really worried about the d-line being in our backfield all balmy evening.

And giving the edge to our special teams? That is a dead give away that this is a troll job.

Quote Originally Posted by socalpat View Post
    this. not up for debate. I think the argument made to the contrary is made by people who could never play, never did play, at any level.
    lol.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This. Not up for debate. I think the argument made to the contrary is made by people who could never play, never did play, at any level.
    This is such an arrogant response. Your opinion is not up for debate? Any one who disagrees could not and did not play at ANY level?

Do you think Majerus would agree? Do you think he would prefer the constant step-back threes of Golden State, or the blatant foul-seeking of Harden and Paul, rather than the pick-and-roll of Stockton to Malone, or the teamwork of the early-00's Pistons championship team, or the fundamentals of the Spurs multiple championship teams?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Someone posted an interesting stat to the UteNation FB group yesterday that was pretty interesting, if true. (I haven't taken the time to verify it.) Since 2014 in the Utah-USC game, the first team to 14 points has lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    This gave me the pee shivers.
    I have no idea what that is?

Agree, one of the better articles I have read on Whitt in quite some time.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-12-power-utah

Go Freaking Utes!
    Ki-yi! Bring it home, baby!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-12-power-utah

Go Freaking Utes!
    Great article, very well written. I love having Kyle as our coach, and the team and program he has built.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Red, white, and black is not a good start for us.

With team’s defense will show up first?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    With team’s defense will show up first?
    Not sure, but we ain't winning a shootout. We either tighten this up or we lose.

Snaps are coming out a bit high.

We trying to get Covey killed?
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-20-2019 at 08:19 PM.

These guys see holding everywhere. Every contact is a potential hold.

That hold call soon Ford was horseshit.. he pancaked his guy
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

USC receivers are amazing.

Why haven’t we seen Wilmore run the ball? Almost everyone else has. Wilmore could be motivated, since he originally committed to USC.

edit: as soon as I posted this, Wilmore comes in.

Huntley has been fantastic this half. They are abusing our offensive line, and he's still making plays.

Why were we going up the gut anyway? There's no way that was going in for us, and we've been beating them on the edges all half.

What a huge play.

From Kamrani: "refs have 142 yards on 15 flags."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Why were we going up the gut anyway? There's no way that was going in for us, and we've been beating them on the edges all half.

What a huge play.
    Huge swing of momentum for USC.