Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Coliseum: Utah vs. USC 2019

Hybrid View

Back to the Coliseum: Utah vs. USC 2019

I heard something interesting on Riley's show podcast. One analyst said that against Stanford, USC spread their o-line out - 2 feet between each lineman - so that Stanford’s edge rushers were farther away from USC’s young QB, Kedon Slovis. The idea was to give rushers like Anae more ground to cover before getting to Slovis. The analyst thought the goal was to give Slovis more time to get comfortable and allow him to get the ball out quickly.

I'm wondering if they will try that next Friday against the Utes. By then Kyle & Co. will have studied USC game film carefully, so Scalley and Whit will have the Utes ready. (Will they blitz, shoot gaps?) Then again, by the time USC plays us they'll already have played BYU. Maybe with another game under his belt Slovis won't need that extra time. Anyway, it will be interesting to watch the line of scrimmage next Friday.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

BYU used to do that under Anae, so I'm sure we have some plan for it.

Hey, let’s not lose our focus on ID St. We have a game to win tomorrow. Then we can worry about the trojans.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Hey, let’s not lose our focus on ID St. We have a game to win tomorrow. Then we can worry about the trojans.
    All Utah players are blocked from this site. No worries. Their minds will be on the game. Also, any UB5 reader who cheers less loudly tomorrow because he/she is looking beyond Idaho State will be severely chastized.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Will this be the first time ever we are favored in the coliseum?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Will this be the first time ever we are favored in the coliseum?
    Weren't we favored going in to the 2015 game when Travis threw 3 pick-sixes to the same USC linebacker? (Or was it only two?) I remember that on game day all the USC fans I met were telling me they hoped we wouldn't destroy them. That game contributed to my Ute Fan PTSD.

Having said all that, this year things feel different.

--Yeats

Back to the Coliseum: Utah vs. USC 2019

From Kragthorpe’s report on Whit’s presser today:

Only twice in eight meetings, however, have the Utes been overwhelmed by USC. In 2012, the Trojans led 38-21 before the Utes added a last-minute touchdown. Yet USC led by only three points after three quarters. The Trojans won 42-24 in Los Angeles in 2015, although the No. 3 Utes were ahead 21-7 before “throwing three interceptions to the same linebacker,” as Whittingham accurately recalled.
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...feeling-fresh/

I had forgotten that we were up 21-7 before those picks began. I was at the game, too. I may be repressing my memories. Who would blame me?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-16-2019 at 02:26 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    From Kragthorpe’s report on Whit’s presser today:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...feeling-fresh/

I had forgotten that we were up 21-7 before those picks began. I was at the game, too. I may be repressing my memories. Who would blame me?
    I'm such the "Actually" meme personified in this thread.

Actually.png

Trojans.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I'm such the "Actually" meme personified in this thread.
    Wow. I guess Kraqthorpe got it wrong. I honestly was surprised to see any claim that we were ever head by that margin.

--Yeats

It wasn't a comedian:

“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

George Will

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It wasn't a comedian:

“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

George Will
    Some people find George Will funny. He also said, "Baseball is Heaven's gift to mortals," and "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal." I think he likes baseball better than football.

--Yeats

Saw this on Facebook, from Eric Lund. It has the ring of truth:

Scouting Report on SC: It has the most talented athletes of any program in the PAC. This is a match up problem for most teams to overcome. However, SC is overly reliant on its athletic prowess and this has resulted in its systemic lack of discipline and a program built on entitlement. Receivers don't run strong, sharp routes, instead they rely on quickness, speed, and jumping ability. They also are poor run and pass blockers. The d-line similarly is undisciplined and doesn't fill the proper gaps allowing for holes to open up. SC can be worn down late in the game and is prone to making mistakes. Because of this, irrespective of the high level of talent, SC won't win the PAC and is susceptible to other losses. I see Utah exploiting these weaknesses on Friday night.
    I believe that if we win, it will be because we played smart and disciplined and they did not. If an Urban Meyer type ever becomes HC at USC, success against them will become much more difficult for us and for the rest of the PAC-12.

--Yeats

I believe that if we win, it will be because we played smart and disciplined and they did not. If an Urban Meyer type ever becomes HC at USC, success against them will become much more difficult for us and for the rest of the PAC-12.
    obviously USC has an 18 year old qb, who will play better at home than on the road, but is very inexperienced and have difficulty reading defenses under pressure. I also heard somebody say that USC's athletes don't really fit Graham Harrell's air raid system. USC has athletes who overpower you--qb's who can throw long and receivers who can go up and catch and then race you to the end zone. they are designed for big flashy chunk plays that get lots of yardage. The air raid offense is for 6 and 7 yard play after play. this person said those were open all day against the Y, but USC kept wanting to overpower the Y with big play after big play and it didn't work.

Geez i hope we win this.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-17-2019 at 08:37 AM.

I read something after the Stanford game that USC had spaced its OL a bit wider than normal to buy time for their Frosh QB. I read that and said, "PLEASE do that against Utah." I predict that Utah will be in his face early to force him to make mistakes and ultimately force the run (like BYU did) and then they'll stack the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I read something after the Stanford game that USC had spaced its OL a bit wider than normal to buy time for their Frosh QB. I read that and said, "PLEASE do that against Utah." I predict that Utah will be in his face early to force him to make mistakes and ultimately force the run (like BYU did) and then they'll stack the box.
    They did the same against BYU. Huge spacing on the line, and K. Tonga schooled their center most of the game.

Two days until pac season! I'll be in the house to watch the Utes win by 45 in the Coliseum!

Pretty crazy to see stuff like this coming from out of the USC camp. I find that I have to pinch myself from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Pretty crazy to see stuff like this coming from out of the USC camp. I find that I have to pinch myself from time to time.

yeah, I'm not sure I buy this. I mean, USC is coming off a loss to BYU. That must hurt! I mean, it must, right? I don't really remember, I was so young back in those days.

I would say that USC's d-line should dominate our O-line. As good as Moss is, he was hit in the backfield about a dozen times against Idaho State. And I assume USC has better guys on the d-line than Idaho State. The unit that has worried my the most this year is the O-line. We are super duper thin on the line, and some of the guys are really raw (Maea). I was hoping that they'd have gotten their feet under them now, but no such luck. I am really worried about the d-line being in our backfield all balmy evening.

And giving the edge to our special teams? That is a dead give away that this is a troll job.

USC receivers are amazing.

Why haven’t we seen Wilmore run the ball? Almost everyone else has. Wilmore could be motivated, since he originally committed to USC.

edit: as soon as I posted this, Wilmore comes in.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Huntley has been fantastic this half. They are abusing our offensive line, and he's still making plays.

Why were we going up the gut anyway? There's no way that was going in for us, and we've been beating them on the edges all half.

What a huge play.

From Kamrani: "refs have 142 yards on 15 flags."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Why were we going up the gut anyway? There's no way that was going in for us, and we've been beating them on the edges all half.

What a huge play.
    Huge swing of momentum for USC.

Sean O’Connell is reporting Moss has an AC separation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They have constant pressure on Huntley, and we can't get anywhere near Fink.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    They have constant pressure on Huntley, and we can't get anywhere near Fink.
    I don’t remember hearing Anae’s name at all so far tonight.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I don’t remember hearing Anae’s name at all so far tonight.
    Redacted!

Blackmon. Goodness.