Thread: What can be done about Pac-12 officials?

What can be done about Pac-12 officials?

And a better question, why hasn’t the conference done anything?

Yesterday was a joke. Illegal reviews, clear touchdowns ruled down, and targeting/not targeting calls that make no sense.

Oh and a replay for down and distance that everyone else in the stadium knew without video.

Do the AD’s or Presidents need to mandate some changes (let’s be honest, there’s not much hope of that given how Larry Scott seems untouchable for some reason)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And a better question, why hasn’t the conference done anything?

Yesterday was a joke. Illegal reviews, clear touchdowns ruled down, and targeting/not targeting calls that make no sense.

Oh and a replay for down and distance that everyone else in the stadium knew without video.

Do the AD’s or Presidents need to mandate some changes (let’s be honest, there’s not much hope of that given how Larry Scott seems untouchable for some reason)
    To be fair, they are horrible everywhere. They changed targeting this offseason. No one was able to apply the rule consistently before; it's even more random now. The officials in Provo yesterday missed one of the easiest replay reviews you'll ever see, and it was a critical call that gave the ball back to BYU for the Cougars' 4th quarter go ahead touchdown.

Life was better before review.

You have to consider what they have to work with. Competent people aren't lining up to be referees. Missed calls on the field are inevitable in a fast action sport. But to miss easy reviews? How is that possible? Anyway, I don't think there's much the Pac-12 can do. It's just bad everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    To be fair, they are horrible everywhere. They changed targeting this offseason. No one was able to apply the rule consistently before; it's even more random now. The officials in Provo yesterday missed one of the easiest replay reviews you'll ever see, and it was a critical call that gave the ball back to BYU for the Cougars' 4th quarter go ahead touchdown.

Life was better before review.

You have to consider what they have to work with. Competent people aren't lining up to be referees. Missed calls on the field are inevitable in a fast action sport. But to miss easy reviews? How is that possible? Anyway, I don't think there's much the Pac-12 can do. It's just bad everywhere.
    Given how much refs make (college refs make a decent check for a Saturday afternoon of work) accountability shouldn’t be hard. But that’s part of the problem, there’s zero public accountability. That’s where I think we start. The head ref should have to speak to the media, and the review of their performance should be public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Given how much refs make (college refs make a decent check for a Saturday afternoon of work) accountability shouldn’t be hard. But that’s part of the problem, there’s zero public accountability. That’s where I think we start. The head ref should have to speak to the media, and the review of their performance should be public.
    Does this lead to people losing their jobs? Then what? We use lesser refs? You could make a case for younger refs, though athletes might be less inclined to show respect for younger refs.

I think the plan is to just wait out the slow death of football as a sport (not sure what the basketball plan is, though).