Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, can we actually handle an air raid? The Wazzu Game, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I almost never go to the Fashion Place mall, but today I did. I spotted this, and was impressed.

That flag flies year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    That flag flies year round.
    Good.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So much to say about this game. A couple of items I picked up from the post-game show:

Wazzu is the highest-scoring team in the PAC-12 and the 6th highest in the USA. They were averaging 52.8 points per game until tonight when they got 13 -- and were shut out during the second half. Not sure when was the last time Mike Leach was shut out.

We controlled the ball for over 12 minutes of the 3rd quarter. That was one big reason Wazzu had so few offensive opportunities.

The Utes had almost 500 yards of offense in the first three quarters.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

So much to say about this game. A couple of items I picked up from the post-game show:

Wazzu is the highest-scoring team in the PAC-12 and the 6th highest in the USA. They were averaging 52.8 points per game until tonight when they got 13 -- and were shut out during the second half. Not sure when was the last time Mike Leach was shut out.

We controlled the ball for over 12 minutes of the 3rd quarter. That was one big reason Wazzu had so few offensive opportunities.

The Utes had almost 500 yards of offense in the first three quarters.
    I was surprised that WSU didn’t play with more urgency the few minutes they had the ball on offense in the 2nd half. Then again, the few times they looked to throw downfield they were picked or almost picked.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I was surprised that WSU didn’t play with more urgency the few minutes they had the ball on offense in the 2nd half. Then again, the few times they looked to throw downfield they were picked or almost picked.
    I was really impressed by the defensive secondary -- they went head to head with WSU's receivers and were much more than a match for them.

--Yeats

To answer the thread title, yes, yes we can.

I was really impressed by the defensive secondary -- they went head to head with WSU's receivers and were much more than a match for them.
    I applaud Scalley and company for doing something totally different than they have ever done before. I have never seen the Utes play a three deep zone and it was very effective in keeping the Wazzu WR's in front of them. On the flip side, I wish we would have had that in the arsenal a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I applaud Scalley and company for doing something totally different than they have ever done before. I have never seen the Utes play a three deep zone and it was very effective in keeping the Wazzu WR's in front of them. On the flip side, I wish we would have had that in the arsenal a week ago.
    Tru

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This reminds me of Kyle‘s repeated statements during the week that the Utah coaches had nothing special planned defensively for Washington state, because “they’ve seen everything.” Maybe the Cougars hadn’t really seen everything!

--Yeats

Most flawless game I can remember since 2015 Oregon. Wazzu never got untracked offensively or defensively. Had a few drops, did turn the ball over on downs early, but nothing was fatal, and more than enough players stepped up to overcome whatever missteps we had. Nine drives, five TDs, one FG, one punt, one missed FG, one turnover on downs. Surgical precision.

I was in attendance on Saturday night. The weather was crazy...pretty sure we got hailed on there for a minute. A lot of folks bailed at halftime, but the crowd that stuck around was pretty loud. Despite the conditions, really enjoyable result. Glad to see Huntley punch one more in at the end there.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I was in attendance on Saturday night. The weather was crazy...pretty sure we got hailed on there for a minute. A lot of folks bailed at halftime, but the crowd that stuck around was pretty loud. Despite the conditions, really enjoyable result. Glad to see Huntley punch one more in at the end there.

Pssst. Dont tell anyone who left at halftime that Bernard's interception got them a free chic fil a sandwich. They don't deserve it. It'll be our secret.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Pssst. Dont tell anyone who left at halftime that Bernard's interception got them a free chic fil a sandwich. They don't deserve it. It'll be our secret.
    Haha...the stadium went nuts. That was pretty funny. My section cleared out quite a bit, so I got to enjoy the game with some space.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The funny thing is that the weather was way better in the second half, and so was the football.

I propose a fund be set up to pay for DrumNFeather to attend each game, home or away, as this appears to be the common link in victories going forward.