Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 109

Thread: The Pre-conference 2019 Basketball season Thread -

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    My bad. That was very non-clear. I want to us all to place bets on what SeattleUte's prediction will be.
    I don't know. It's a proven fact that I'm a strong believer in human redemption.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don't know. It's a proven fact that I'm a strong believer in human redemption.
    It’s a “fact” that you believe something?

    https://youtu.be/DxqIpsYrNQ0
    People who wear glasses/contacts are not allowed to celbrqte the rear 2020. Go eat some carrots or get LASIK.

  3. #33
    Mvsu is terrible
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  4. #34
    Utes win by 80?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Utes win by 80?
    If we want to. I think we can set the score.

  6. #36
    I thought Eli big ballstead would throw up a trillion tonight but he made a 3

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  7. #37
    Up 50 at half... Geez mvsu is so bad

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  8. #38
    Go for the 100 point win!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  9. #39
    I've never seen a 94 point win before.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I've never seen a 94 point win before.
    KenPom says it's the largest D1 vs D1 point margin ever.

  11. #41
    Two players with a triple double. First time ever for Utah.

  12. #42
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,512
    MVSU was awful. Still, putting up 143 against an awful team is not an easy thing to do.

    I'm impressed that they were able to stay focused and execute when the game was out of hand.

    Is the Jayce Johnson hand wringing done now?

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    MVSU was awful. Still, putting up 143 against an awful team is not an easy thing to do.

    I'm impressed that they were able to stay focused and execute when the game was out of hand.

    Is the Jayce Johnson hand wringing done now?
    I love that we were diving after loose balls and taking charges up 75 points.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  14. #44
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I love that we were diving after loose balls and taking charges up 75 points.

    I chalk it up to a bunch of freshmen trying to lock up a starting position.

  15. #45
    Well we have Minnesota this Friday (9pm EST on Pac12 network).

    They've lost to Oklahoma @ home and beat cleveland st. They are at Butler tonight on fs1 8:30 EST. They were picked to finish 12th in the Big 10.

    Of the bottom five teams here, the Golden Gophers may have the most potential to surprise. Their departures—namely Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey and Dupree McBrayer—will be tough to overcome, but there’s some intriguing pieces still here. Sophomore guard Gabe Kalscheur could see a nice breakout after averaging 10 points on 41.7% shooting as a freshman, and his 24-point NCAA tournament effort vs. Louisville shows what he’s capable of. Sophomore center Daniel Oturu will be a double-double threat every night, but Minnesota will need players like senior Michael Hurt, sophomore Jarvis Omersa and four-star freshman Isaiah Ihnen to step up down low in Murphy’s absence. In the backcourt, a pair of key transfers were added: Marcus Carr (Pitt) and Payton Willis (Vanderbilt), who both sat out last season. Both Carr and Willis could start, with Kalscheur on the wing, and Carr is expected to run the offense at the point. If Minnesota can find more consistent shooting after struggling on the perimeter in 2018–19 and get solid showings from its new pieces, it could be an under-the-radar team worth keeping tabs on.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  16. #46
    Minnesota lost last night to Butler. Utah will be favored in this game
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Minnesota lost last night to Butler. Utah will be favored in this game
    Sounds like Minnesota relies heavily on a 6-10 soph who is pretty good. Beyond that they have been shooting poorly from distance. Let's hope that continues.

  18. #48
    I watched some of the game against Butler. They hung around, but never quite got over the hump. I think they lead 39-38 at one point, but Butler took the lead back and never looked back. It was a physical, rock fight type of game. Larry mentioned in his presser this week that last year's game was pretty physical and that wasn't necessarily a style they are used to playing against. Hopefully we can use our size and length to really bother them inside, and hopefully our shooting is on point as well. Should be a fun test for our young Utes.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  19. #49
    Utah 5 point favorites tonight
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  20. #50
    Playing well up 6 @ half. Led by as much as 20. Minn has hit some bullshit 3s. Second half Minn gets tired from mountain air and we pull away
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  21. #51
    The last three minutes Utah has had 7 straight turnovers
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  22. #52
    I'll take that win. timmy buckets and #gachscratchfever are ballers. Jones and Battin played well
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  23. #53
    Next up i get to see them live in myrtle
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  24. #54
    Gutsy win tonight. Far from pretty. Too many turnovers to start off the second half. Battin missed some open threes that would have really helped. Loved to see Allen put the team on his shoulders down the stretch. Great to see a team that should have gotten tight as Minnesota kept making move after move but they always managed to keep the lead and hold on. I came into the season promising myself to stay neutral, but it’s hard not to get excited for these youngsters.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #55
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  26. #56
    Went to the game at the Huntsman last night. It was a good crowd and the atmosphere is better with the upper section curtained off. I noticed that the student section filled and there were a number of students standing at the top. The game itself was entertaining and while the Utes cruised to start the game, getting up 16-0, they had to battle to withstand multiple runs by Minn. The Gophers big-man was a load and gave our guys difficulty. Their shooters came alive when the Utes started to double the big guy in the paint.

    Center: Carlsen looks like he will turn into a very nice player as he gains strength. He has good athleticism and length. He moves well without the ball and works hard. I think the same can be said about Lahat. His skills are rough and those will improve with experience. MVK is long. He also has a chance to become a pretty good player. I really question whether Larry will be able to keep all of them in the fold. There just are not enough minutes to play 3 centers. Last night the Utes went for long stretches in the 2nd half with none of these guys on the floor even though it gave Minn. a decided inside advantage.

    Power: Battin has shown a lot of improvement from last year both defensively and with physicality. He is no Karl Bankowski, but he is much better than he was. He missed some elbow 3's, and my sense is that his sweet spots are from the top of the arc and the corner. Miki is a hard worker. I can understand why some might compare him to Alex Jensen. Both will improve with added strength. Miki needs to work on outside shot.

    Wings: Allen is a very good player who does everything except the outside shot, very well. Gach is better off the ball than he is with the ball. He is better in transition than he is in a set offense. Brenchley has been a pleasant surprise. I think he can develop into a taller version of PVK. Surprised that Plummer did not get in the game.

    PG: Rylan is the engine that makes this run. There is a notable difference when he leaves the game and Gach runs the point.

    While the early returns against Nevada and Minn. are encouraging, those wins are probably comparable to beating Cal and Stanford. I think the Utes struggle to hit .500 in Pac 12 play.

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Went to the game at the Huntsman last night. It was a good crowd and the atmosphere is better with the upper section curtained off. I noticed that the student section filled and there were a number of students standing at the top. The game itself was entertaining and while the Utes cruised to start the game, getting up 16-0, they had to battle to withstand multiple runs by Minn. The Gophers big-man was a load and gave our guys difficulty. Their shooters came alive when the Utes started to double the big guy in the paint.

    Center: Carlsen looks like he will turn into a very nice player as he gains strength. He has good athleticism and length. He moves well without the ball and works hard. I think the same can be said about Lahat. His skills are rough and those will improve with experience. MVK is long. He also has a chance to become a pretty good player. I really question whether Larry will be able to keep all of them in the fold. There just are not enough minutes to play 3 centers. Last night the Utes went for long stretches in the 2nd half with none of these guys on the floor even though it gave Minn. a decided inside advantage.

    Power: Battin has shown a lot of improvement from last year both defensively and with physicality. He is no Karl Bankowski, but he is much better than he was. He missed some elbow 3's, and my sense is that his sweet spots are from the top of the arc and the corner. Miki is a hard worker. I can understand why some might compare him to Alex Jensen. Both will improve with added strength. Miki needs to work on outside shot.

    Wings: Allen is a very good player who does everything except the outside shot, very well. Gach is better off the ball than he is with the ball. He is better in transition than he is in a set offense. Brenchley has been a pleasant surprise. I think he can develop into a taller version of PVK. Surprised that Plummer did not get in the game.

    PG: Rylan is the engine that makes this run. There is a notable difference when he leaves the game and Gach runs the point.

    While the early returns against Nevada and Minn. are encouraging, those wins are probably comparable to beating Cal and Stanford. I think the Utes struggle to hit .500 in Pac 12 play.
    I really liked the way we pushed the tempo and the ball up court. Much less swinging the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds that we have seen in the past. Lots more penetration, which led to a lot of dribbling into traffic turnovers in the second half. Gach in particular when he ran the point, which is a reason Jones rested very little in the 2nd half. I assume the tempo and penetration philosophy results in part b/c we are not a good 3 point team. Gach had that same problem last year, but he can get to the basket.

    I have a hard time seeing Battin as Alex Jensen; he is too soft. Mikki is a better defender and likely will end up being a better player. Agree that it will be hard to keep three centers. Van Komen reminds me of Shawn Bradley, except skinnier.

    Student section was great. There were abunch of students sitting in the upper bowl, behind the curtain. Wonder what they could see from there (or what they were doing in the dark).
    Last edited by concerned; 11-16-2019 at 09:21 AM.

  28. #58
    Carlson had 4 fouls & Lahat & MVK don’t have any offense so he used Mikki & Battin together. Mikki is tough, but Oturo for MN was a load. He will make some $$ maybe next year.

    Rylan Jones is already a good player. Diving for loose balls & taking charges. Really smart to take the foul when we were up 3 & under 30 seconds. Forced 2 FTs. He will be one of the best PGs when he leaves. With his size he probably plays all 4 years.

    Best thing about MVK last night was no more mustache.

  29. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Carlson had 4 fouls & Lahat & MVK don’t have any offense so he used Mikki & Battin together. Mikki is tough, but Oturo for MN was a load. He will make some $$ maybe next year.

    Rylan Jones is already a good player. Diving for loose balls & taking charges. Really smart to take the foul when we were up 3 & under 30 seconds. Forced 2 FTs. He will be one of the best PGs when he leaves. With his size he probably plays all 4 years.

    Best thing about MVK last night was no more mustache.
    Lk told jones to take the foul during the free throws.

  30. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I really liked the way we pushed the tempo and the ball up court. Much less swinging the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds that we have seen in the past. Lots more penetration, which led to a lot of dribbling into traffic turnovers in the second half. Gach in particular when he ran the point, which is a reason Jones rested very little in the 2nd half. I assume the tempo and penetration philosophy results in part b/c we are not a good 3 point team. Gach had that same problem last year, but he can get to the basket.

    I have a hard time seeing Battin as Alex Jensen; he is too soft. Mikki is a better defender and likely will end up being a better player. Agree that it will be hard to keep three centers. Van Komen reminds me of Shawn Bradley, except skinnier.

    Student section was great. There were abunch of students sitting in the upper bowl, behind the curtain. Wonder what they could see from there (or what they were doing in the dark).
    I believe the comparison is Mikki and Alex Jensen, not Battin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •