Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Pre-conference 2019 Basketball season Thread -

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I think we'll beat the Cougars. Call me crazy. We'll have a "get well" game against UC Davis on Friday, and be ready to go against BYU.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

My thoughts on the game.

1. Our best five is Battin, Allen, Januten, Jones & Gach
    2. Januten has a nose for the ball
    3. Free throws are going to be an ongoing problem
    4. Jones almost has his tyrone tate moment and comes back and is the mvp... beautiful
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

DNF does it again!

How great was Jantunen last night? We needed him to step up when Carlson got into foul trouble, and he delivered. He finished when he was close to the rim, and he went 8-8 on the line. I wonder what his potential is offensively. Can he develop a post game? Can he develop a jump shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    1. Our best five is Battin, Allen, Januten, Jones & Gach
    I think at one point we did a big lineup with Jantunen and Carlson on the floor at the same time for a few minutes. Am I imagining that?

At any rate, those 5 plus Carlson, Brenchley, and Thione makes an 8 man rotation. Thione had 5 rebounds in only 15 minutes, and he finished when he was close to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think at one point we did a big lineup with Jantunen and Carlson on the floor at the same time for a few minutes. Am I imagining that?

At any rate, those 5 plus Carlson, Brenchley, and Thione makes an 8 man rotation. Thione had 5 rebounds in only 15 minutes, and he finished when he was close to the rim.
    the problem with the hat is that he couldn't guard Childs. When we switched Allen on him is when we contained him. Battin played great defense too.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

the problem with the hat is that he couldn't guard Childs. When we switched Allen on him is when we contained him. Battin played great defense too.
    Yes, what a nice surprise to have Battin causing turnovers.

Unless Childs has more than a sprain, I question his leadership and manhood. Isn't this his big game against the team that didn't offer him? He was unstoppable last night! How does he just sit the bench down the stretch? I would have needed to be bleeding out of a severed leg to not go back into the game. Maybe he's not fully invested.

Finally, BYU put in a dude named Troy, and my son - who recently saw Back To the Future for the first time - said "Dad, look, it's George McFly!"

Yes, what a nice surprise to have Battin causing turnovers.

Unless Childs has more than a sprain, I question his leadership and manhood. Isn't this his big game against the team that didn't offer him? He was unstoppable last night! How does he just sit the bench down the stretch? I would have needed to be bleeding out of a severed leg to not go back into the game. Maybe he's not fully invested.

Finally, BYU put in a dude named Troy, and my son - who recently saw Back To the Future for the first time - said "Dad, look, it's George McFly!"
    I think it was a leg cramp that did childs in last night. Where is that Bronco Mendenhall pickle juice when you need it?

Yes, I thoguht Jantunen also did a great job in his moments of guarding Yoeli.

If this hadn't been "the Rylan Jones game" we might be calling it the "Mikki Jantunen game".

Rylan is in the mold of Mark Jackson and Brandon Taylor: heart and mental toughness of a champion.

He's going to be fun to watch.

I've been trying to find a good comp for Timmy Allen. It's been bugging me for a while as I felt like there was someone he reminded me of, and it hit me last night: Adrian Dantley.

Am I off on this?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I've been trying to find a good comp for Timmy Allen. It's been bugging me for a while as I felt like there was someone he reminded me of, and it hit me last night: Adrian Dantley.

Am I off on this?
    Hadnt thought about it, but I agree. Both undersized for their position but get to the basket. Not much of an outside game. Barkley another possible comparison, similar type player, although obviously on a different level.

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Hadnt thought about it, but I agree. Both undersized for their position but get to the basket. Not much of an outside game. Barkley another possible comparison, similar type player, although obviously on a different level.
    Yeah. Barkley was one I considered, but Sir Charles was so explosive off his feet it didn't quite fit.

It sounds like the Ghost of Majerus was around in the second half fueling our team to victory.

During the halftime, the U was running a memorial of Rick Majerus and the BYU student started singing the BYU fight song.

After the game, during the handshake line, Jake Toolson thought it was the appropriate time to tell Chris Jones what he thought of Rylan's style of play.

Donnie Tillman's line last night 28 points, 8 rebs and 3 assists

The Jake Toolson/Chris Jones/Mark Pope incident actually began with a few seconds left in the game. Toolson pointed at Coach K and Coach Connor and, referencing the charging call he'd just picked up, said to them, "That's F*#@*^! Bullshit!" The fans around me - myself included - really went after Toolson who, at that moment, seemed to take notice/stock of us because a defiant look came over him. Coach Daniels seemed to try and calm him down in the handshake line and he pulled his hand away. It was at that point that Coach Pope took issue with whatever Donny did - he seemed to be calmly trying to help Toolson cool down.

Toolson just shot lights out down the stretch but he might have dug himself quite a hole with all the histrionics to the crowd. I think his ego took way too big of a hit when Rylan took that charge - which sure looked legitimate to me from my seats on the sixth row (thank you Jimmy Soto). It was sweet justice given the charge that was called a block a minute earlier.

One other note from my perspective. Someone above mentioned Yoeli's not playing the final four minutes due to cramps (I hope that's all it was). Yoeli was terrific and a real pleasure to watch from just a fan's perspective. BYU fans blaming officiating need to refocus their anger and blame on Coach Pope and how he handled Yoeli. The man hasn't played this season. Sure, he's practiced and looks terrific but you could see he was running out of gas early in the second half. Pope played him way too many minutes in the first two-thirds of the game for a player just getting back. Just my perspective but a Yoeli on restricted minutes may have led them to a win if he'd been in the game at the finish. Certainly, that would have meant an even closer game with the Utes possibly ahead (I don't think the Y could beat the U without Yoeli); but I think the Y is a damn good team with Yoeli in the lineup.

Another classic in the rivalry. I like that BYU team - Childs and Toolson are really good. The game seems to be passing Haws by. He'll continue to help them with his 3-point-shooting but he can't really defend anyone. Honestly, that may be the Y's downfall. They don't defend well. Utah was relentless. I loved that about our team. We really went at them. I think we'll continue to be young and stupid at times but last night may have been a big step forward. Good win against a good - perhaps really good team.

They are not a deep team. They have Childs and Haws and a whole bunch of "meh" behind them.

I felt like Childs was always a big part of why BYU was able to respond to every run Utah had. Once Childs was out, they struggled to answer. Especially so after Haws went out. They looked like they didn't know what to do except try to put their heads down and go 1v1.

I'm just disappointed our student section couldn't get a "shut the f up" response from Haws. Weak showing on our part.

tj-haws-832x447.png
    Last edited by U-Ute; 12-05-2019 at 01:34 PM.

He'll never get any of the Final Fours that he was promised, but what a legacy with that one moment! Can you imagine being that annoyed by Portland fans?! Long live the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    They are not a deep team. They have Childs and Haws and a whole bunch of "meh" behind them.

I felt like Childs was always a big part of why BYU was able to respond to every run Utah had. Once Childs was out, they struggled to answer. Especially so after Haws went out. They looked like they didn't know what to do except try to put their heads down and go 1v1.

I'm just disappointed our student section couldn't get a "shut the f up" response from Haws. Weak showing on our part.

tj-haws-832x447.png

It looks like Lahat and MVK are end of the bench guys. I was hoping that Lahat could contribute, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It looks like Lahat and MVK are end of the bench guys. I was hoping that Lahat could contribute, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.
    Yeah. I thought MVK might get minutes this season. Looks like they both have to wait a year. We usually end up with a 7-8 man rotation, and it's hard to argue that either of those two are in the top 7. I'm sure we'll need some backup center minutes at some point. Once it's actually impossible to make the postseason, I hope we expand the rotation to 8-9 guys.

Plummer continues to chuck up bricks. He must make them in practice? He has a green light, but he never hits.

May today's win be the first of many victories over wildcats this season.

Plummer continues to chuck up bricks. He must make them in practice? He has a green light, but he never hits.
    The 3FG% of our shooters:

Rylan 48%
    Brenchly 47%
    Battin 46%
    Plummer 30%
    Gach 28%

Both Gach really needs to raise this.

Yeah. I thought MVK might get minutes this season. Looks like they both have to wait a year. We usually end up with a 7-8 man rotation, and it's hard to argue that either of those two are in the top 7. I'm sure we'll need some backup center minutes at some point. Once it's actually impossible to make the postseason, I hope we expand the rotation to 8-9 guys.
    I'm guessing with Carlsen as freshman and the Utes going small with Jantunen (freshman - who is a really nice player) and Battin (sophomore - who I believe has improved his physicality this year), that we will see either Lahat or MVK in the portal at the end of the season. I will certainly understand if that happens.

Minnesota beat #3 Ohio State earlier tonight. That should be a nice feather in our cap come the post season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First NET rankings out.

Utah at 54

7 teams in the Pac 12 are in the top 100, including three in the top 20.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

#54 is a head-scratcher considering the Myrtle beach debacle. Most others have us in the low 100's

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    #54 is a head-scratcher considering the Myrtle beach debacle. Most others have us in the low 100's
    The losses in Myrtle are not as bad as they seemed at the time. Coastal is 156 in the NET and Tulane is 127. KenPom had Tulane in the 200s. Beating BYU, Nevada, and Minnesota certainly helps. Interestingly enough, Kentucky is 58 in the NET and SDSU is 3.

The NET, at this point, is worth as much as a random number generator. It will get better as the season goes on.

Big week for Utah basketball. A split would be surprising and great.

The losses in Myrtle are not as bad as they seemed at the time. Coastal is 156 in the NET and Tulane is 127. KenPom had Tulane in the 200s. Beating BYU, Nevada, and Minnesota certainly helps. Interestingly enough, Kentucky is 58 in the NET and SDSU is 3.
    and Coastal was a true road game, I keep forgetting about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    and Coastal was a true road game, I keep forgetting about that.
    Right. Hopefully they end up winning their league...something to make that loss look understandable, at least.