Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 143

Thread: The Pre-conference 2019 Basketball season Thread -

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I believe the comparison is Mikki and Alex Jensen, not Battin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That makes sense. I can see that.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    While the early returns against Nevada and Minn. are encouraging, those wins are probably comparable to beating Cal and Stanford. I think the Utes struggle to hit .500 in Pac 12 play.
    Kind of a bummer that the Pac-12 seems so strong this season. It would have been nice to break this team in on the weak Pac-12 of the past few seasons.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I believe the comparison is Mikki and Alex Jensen, not Battin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think that is what I said: "Miki is a hard worker. I can understand why some might compare him to Alex Jensen."

  4. #64
    The Utes head to Myrtle Beach this weekend for the 2019 Myrtle Beach Invitational. They open up with Coastal Carolina, who is 2-2 after knocking off MTSU last night, and moving 22 spots up in the KenPom to 171. This will count as a true road game as the Chanticleers are hosting this event.

    They would get the winner of Baylor and Ohio, who are 18, and 178 in KenPom, respectively.

    The other side of the bracket features Villanova (12) vs. MTSU (182) and Miss St. (57) vs. Tulane (265).

    This event will be a great test for the Utes. Presumably, a win vs. CCU means that you've got 2 additional games against quality competition that could potentially help build your resume. At worst, you aren't walking away with any bad losses between Baylor, Nova, and Miss St.

    The tournament starts at 11:30 AM, Eastern with Nova and MTSU. Utah plays the final game of the night at 7:00 PM, Eastern, 5:00 PM, Mountain.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think that is what I said: "Miki is a hard worker. I can understand why some might compare him to Alex Jensen."
    It probably just means I am old, that when I see a reference to a "Mikki", my first thought is Kane-Barton. Took me a few reads to realize who you were talking about.

  6. #66
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,553

    Myrtle Beach Invitational

    First up, the..... Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina.

    Alrighty then.

    Screenshot from 2019-11-19 15-01-20.png
    Screenshot from 2019-11-19 15-01-32.png

  7. #67
    Villanova and Miss St. advance.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    First up, the..... Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina.

    Alrighty then.

    Screenshot from 2019-11-19 15-01-20.png
    Screenshot from 2019-11-19 15-01-32.png
    I saw a different definition somewhere. A chanticleer is a dominant rooster. It is a play on the Gamecock mascot for South Carolina, similar to how the UCLA Bruin is a play on the Call Bear mascot.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

  9. #69
    The line is Utah at -5. I really hope that we're better than that.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The line is Utah at -5. I really hope that we're better than that.
    At this point (10 minute mark), I just hope we're better than this.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    At this point (10 minute mark), I just hope we're better than this.
    We are. But still making a bunch of young mistakes. Got within two, should be down 3 at the half but because we couldn't grab a rebound, CC hit a desperation 3 at the buzzer.

  12. #72
    Well, the dream is over. It was fun while it lasted. Time to start hoping for next season.

  13. #73
    Brutal game to watch.

    Utes have dropped 3 of 4 opening games of exempt tournaments, and in those losses, here are the 3 point fg % of the opposing teams:

    USF: 57.1%
    Hawaii: 37.5%
    CCU: 45.8%

    Not good.

    Utes dropped to 115 in the KenPom rankings, and CCU moved up to 142 (you're welcome).

    Time to salvage this. They play Ohio today (186 in KenPom) and will get the winner/loser of MTSU/Tulane, which is the early game today. Utes play at 5:00 PM and again are a 5.5 point favorite. Pro-tip: Ohio can shoot the 3, so you might want to defend it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  14. #74
    Gach was tired and kept turning the ball be over
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  15. #75
    Those who follow Utah basketball understood that for the Utes to compete, they needed Gach and Battin to make a jump in their games. The Utes have won every game in which these two have scored in double figures and have lost the two games that they did not.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Those who follow Utah basketball understood that for the Utes to compete, they needed Gach and Battin to make a jump in their games. The Utes have won every game in which these two have scored in double figures and have lost the two games that they did not.
    Allen seems to have made the jump we need. Gach seems like he's developed in good ways, but he hasn't been consistent, and his ball handling is still too rough.

    Hopefully, Carlson and Jauntunen will develop as the season goes. I think that's a reasonable hope.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Allen seems to have made the jump we need. Gach seems like he's developed in good ways, but he hasn't been consistent, and his ball handling is still too rough.

    Hopefully, Carlson and Jauntunen will develop as the season goes. I think that's a reasonable hope.
    Allen certainly has, but he's also trying to do too much by himself right now. I think of Utah's 20ish turnovers vs. Tulane, he had 7 or 8 of them. Now, that said, that is how it is going to be if the other guys aren't getting open, hitting shots, etc.

    The rotation was also odd for a team playing its third game in four days. Thiune got 3 minutes and Plummer 4.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  18. #78
    Here's some data I posted to the Twitter that may or may not be interesting:

    In Larry's tenure, Utah is 16-10 in exempt tournaments and 5-4 in opening-round games.

    However...

    3 of those tournaments were hosted in SLC against pretty bad competition in which Utah went 9-0. So, take those away and we're 7-10 in those exempt tournaments and 2-4 in opening round games. Not great.

    Next year we play in the Battle 4 Atlantis, which features Duke, Creighton, Texas A&M, Ohio St., Marshall, WVU, and Wichita St.

    Last year, our OOC KenPom average finished at 165 and had a NET of 161. This year, our current OOC KenPom average is 178.

    Three more decent opportunities remain:

    BYU - 76
    Kentucky - 6
    SDSU - 66

    The other three games will not help...at all.

    Nevada is 104 and Minnesota is 73.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    2-4 in opening round games. Not great.
    A lot of our SOS issues can be traced back to this stat. You have to win the first game in these things.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    A lot of our SOS issues can be traced back to this stat. You have to win the first game in these things.
    Absolutely. It's a huge issue. I think I had tracked the non-conference average with Baylor/Miss St. in instead of Ohio/Tulane in the 140s somewhere. Just a huge difference, and to your point, same last year with Seton Hall/Miami vs. NW and Grand Canyon, and so on.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  21. #81
    SOS is not a factor for a team that will be fortunate to go .500. I watched about 10 minutes of the BYU/UCLA game and I will be shocked if the Utes stay within 20 of BYU. We don't play tough enough defense to limit them and we can't score enough to keep pace with them. It is a good thing we don't play USU, because they would destroy us. These young guys might grow into something, but it is still discouraging that a 3rd year coach at USU has a more established program than the guy going into his 9th year.

  22. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    S a 3rd year coach at USU has a more established program than the guy going into his 9th year.
    Does USU have a more established program, or are they just in the middle of a lucky streak? They are heavily dependent on a random super recruit from Brazil, right? I expect that they will fall back to normal when he leaves.

    That said, it is tragic that we don't have an established program. We have stronger recruiting classes than USU and BYU. We should be the top dog again soon. We'll see.

    Independence has not been great for BYU football, but it's been really good for BYU basketball. They fill their arena (which they don't do in football), and they have a shot at the Dance every year just by virtue of being a big fish in a small pond.

  23. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    SOS is not a factor for a team that will be fortunate to go .500. I watched about 10 minutes of the BYU/UCLA game and I will be shocked if the Utes stay within 20 of BYU. We don't play tough enough defense to limit them and we can't score enough to keep pace with them. It is a good thing we don't play USU, because they would destroy us. These young guys might grow into something, but it is still discouraging that a 3rd year coach at USU has a more established program than the guy going into his 9th year.
    I think we'll beat the Cougars. Call me crazy. We'll have a "get well" game against UC Davis on Friday, and be ready to go against BYU.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  24. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I think we'll beat the Cougars. Call me crazy. We'll have a "get well" game against UC Davis on Friday, and be ready to go against BYU.
    I think you are about 1 year early with that prediction.

  25. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Does USU have a more established program, or are they just in the middle of a lucky streak? They are heavily dependent on a random super recruit from Brazil, right? I expect that they will fall back to normal when he leaves.
    The big guy from Portugal hasn't played yet this year.

  26. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The big guy from Portugal hasn't played yet this year.
    Neither has Childs. Will he be eligible for our game, or for the game after? I didn't watch the UCLA game, and they were really spotty against Kansas. They're 62nd in Pomeroy and have a top 50 non-con SOS. They're within their right to think they're a tournament team. The stat that really jumped out at me is that they've really slowed things down under Pope -- 220th in tempo.

  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Neither has Childs. Will he be eligible for our game, or for the game after? I didn't watch the UCLA game, and they were really spotty against Kansas. They're 62nd in Pomeroy and have a top 50 non-con SOS. They're within their right to think they're a tournament team. The stat that really jumped out at me is that they've really slowed things down under Pope -- 220th in tempo.
    He'll play against Utah
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  28. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    He'll play against Utah
    Gotta love that they added a whole game to their schedule when they found out how many games he was suspended for just so he could play in the Utah game.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Gotta love that they added a whole game to their schedule when they found out how many games he was suspended for just so he could play in the Utah game.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe they did the same thing last year for Emery to play against Utah.

  30. #90
    How does this team win games? Taking out the Mississippi Valley State and Ohio games, which the Utes won the statistical battle comfortably, it is really amazing that the Utes have won any other games. In the remaining 5 games, the Utes are -12.1 FGA per game and are -6.4 in turnovers. They have won the rebound battle by +7.8 per game, but that can be explained by the many more defensive rebound attempts they have due to the FGA margin. They have attempted an average of 11 more FT per game than their opponents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •