Thread: Tyler Huntley — Truly Elite

Tyler Huntley — Truly Elite

Huntley is the nation’s most underrated downfield thrower of the football as he leads the country with a ridiculous 77.9% adjusted completion percentage on throws targeted at least 10 yards downfield. He’s completed 47-of-68 passes at least 10 yards past the line of scrimmage and has connected on 10 touchdowns compared to just one interception. Overall this year, Huntley is the nation’s leader in adjusted completion percentage to all levels of the field, throwing a catchable pass on 86.2% of his throws while still throwing for 788 yards on deep shots targeted at least 20 yards downfield to rank 17th-most. In fact, he has the nation’s highest passer rating on deep passes at 145.5 while also possessing the third-highest passer rating from a pressured pocket (123.5) and the eighth-highest passer rating from a clean pocket (130.9). It doesn’t matter the situation, it doesn’t matter the throw attempt, Huntley is every bit of an elite quarterback and deserves every bit of recognition he receives this year.”
    https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff...kings-for-2019

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

It is hard to compare players from different eras and different teams, but I think Huntley is a better QB than Brian Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    It is hard to compare players from different eras and different teams, but I think Huntley is a better QB than Brian Johnson.
    It's tough to disagree with this. Prior to this year, they were very similar statistically for their careers and both had to battle through many injuries. Of course, Brian had 2008 and a sophomore season that was better than anything Tyler did.

Now? Huntley has literally set a different bar for how QB should be played at Utah. He doesn't have the volume of Alex or Scott Mitchell, but his efficiency is lethal. Nobody at Utah has ever come close to matching it for as extended a period of time as we've seen from Tyler over 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's tough to disagree with this. Prior to this year, they were very similar statistically for their careers and both had to battle through many injuries. Of course, Brian had 2008 and a sophomore season that was better than anything Tyler did.

Now? Huntley has literally set a different bar for how QB should be played at Utah. He doesn't have the volume of Alex or Scott Mitchell, but his efficiency is lethal. Nobody at Utah has ever come close to matching it for as extended a period of time as we've seen from Tyler over 10 games.
    I don't think it's particularly close at this point. Brian's case is based off of the last two minutes against OSU, TCU and the entire Sugar Bowl. Tyler may not have "moments" that will be forever etched in Ute lore like those, but that's in large part because he's been so consistently efficient and effective that Utah hasn't needed late game heroics. (I suppose you could argue that this was needed against USC, but I feel like Tyler did everything he could in that game given that his OL was getting blown up constantly).

Unless Huntley really flops down the stretch I think he has moved solidly ahead of Brian, because even in his senior season Brian still had in-game slumps and head-scratching turnovers that Huntley has not had at any time this season.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I don't think it's particularly close at this point. Brian's case is based off of the last two minutes against OSU, TCU and the entire Sugar Bowl. Tyler may not have "moments" that will be forever etched in Ute lore like those, but that's in large part because he's been so consistently efficient and effective that Utah hasn't needed late game heroics. (I suppose you could argue that this was needed against USC, but I feel like Tyler did everything he could in that game given that his OL was getting blown up constantly).

Unless Huntley really flops down the stretch I think he has moved solidly ahead of Brian, because even in his senior season Brian still had in-game slumps and head-scratching turnovers that Huntley has not had at any time this season.
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post

m
    Makes sense to me. I'll always remember and love Brian for OSU, TCU, BYU (48-24, clinched the BCS), and the Sugar. But I won't remember Brian for an entire magical season, as I probably will with Tyler.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell