Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Signing Day 2019

National Signing Day 2019

Focus on the Utes, but anything national that is interesting can go in here as well.

Any surprises so far?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Any surprises so far?
    No, none of the "on the fence" types have announced or signed yet, but there are several to monitor over today and tomorrow. There is some hinting and speculation about how Utah will have enough room if they get all of those guys (which is unlikely but not impossible) so there could be a couple of guys squeezed out or asked to grayshirt.

Any surprises so far?

Not that I'm aware of.

I saw a tweet that some crazy percentage of the top 100 recruits are going to just 5 schools. I hope you like the OSU, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma playoff because those teams look like they are cemented in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    All name team candidate
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Nate Ritchie and Van Fillinger both signed with Utah. They were both strong Utah leans, but had not committed to Utah prior to today's announcements, so those are big gets. Two more to watch this afternoon, and then two more to watch tomorrow. Then there will be a few more to watch during the February signing period.

Ritchie and Fillinger are also big because they are elite local guys who could have gone just about anywhere, and Fillinger is a guy who people said for the last two years would go out of state for sure (and was committed to Texas for a long time) but decided to stay home and play for the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Nate Ritchie and Van Fillinger both signed with Utah. They were both strong Utah leans, but had not committed to Utah prior to today's announcements, so those are big gets. Two more to watch this afternoon, and then two more to watch tomorrow. Then there will be a few more to watch during the February signing period.

Ritchie and Fillinger are also big because they are elite local guys who could have gone just about anywhere, and Fillinger is a guy who people said for the last two years would go out of state for sure (and was committed to Texas for a long time) but decided to stay home and play for the Utes.
    Whit is cleaning up with the local kids this year (to SU's dismay).

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

Fillinger is a late switch, right? Wasn't he heading to Texas or something originally?

3 Star TE Connor O'Toole from New Mexico flips from Baylor to Utah. A TE flipping to Utah...what a time to be alive.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

U-Ute,
    Yes, Fillinger is a late switch. The change on the staff at Texas and simply Utah's success and their consistency in communicating with him/building a relationship were all critical to his decision. He, Ritchie and Carlton - if he commits tomorrow - are all recruits who really could have gone just about anywhere like Scratch said above. It's a terrific sign. Losing Sewell hurts but those three are right there with him in ability and how they are projected at the college level. We'll see how things turn out but after Sewell - who was the consensus best player in Utah - it looks like Utah will get commitments from the next five. Most recruiting services have Filinger, Carlton, Ritchie, Harrison and Fotu as 2-6, usually in that order. Bodes well.

I was told today that Utah is right there on Phillips - the cornerback previously committed to Ohio State. Utah's pitch was pretty compelling to him - an opportunity to compete for a starting position at cornerback and help Utah remain an elite defense/program.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    U-Ute,
    Yes, Fillinger is a late switch. The change on the staff at Texas and simply Utah's success and their consistency in communicating with him/building a relationship were all critical to his decision. He, Ritchie and Carlton - if he commits tomorrow - are all recruits who really could have gone just about anywhere like Scratch said above. It's a terrific sign. Losing Sewell hurts but those three are right there with him in ability and how they are projected at the college level. We'll see how things turn out but after Sewell - who was the consensus best player in Utah - it looks like Utah will get commitments from the next five. Most recruiting services have Filinger, Carlton, Ritchie, Harrison and Fotu as 2-6, usually in that order. Bodes well.

I was told today that Utah is right there on Phillips - the cornerback previously committed to Ohio State. Utah's pitch was pretty compelling to him - an opportunity to compete for a starting position at cornerback and help Utah remain an elite defense/program.
    I wonder if Sewell is rethinking his decision today, given that Oregon signed ANOTHER 5-star inside linebacker. Sure would be nice to have the Sewell brothers on the Utes.

Utah listed as one of the top 5 "winners" in CBS's opinion.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...g-period-2019/

Bartle seems pretty upbeat about Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Bartle seems pretty upbeat about Phillips.

Phillips is a UTE!

And it's official, Phillips just announced he's a Ute! Huge!

Great news! I can't imagine growing up in CA and wanting to live in OH. Good call, kid.

So, we are done, right? Are we still waiting on anything?

Great news! I can't imagine growing up in CA and wanting to live in OH. Good call, kid.

So, we are done, right? Are we still waiting on anything?
    We're still waiting on Gentry (RB out of Houston), Kenzel Lawler (Ath out of CA), and Solotau Mo'eai (OL from Hawaii). I think that Mo'eai is ours to lose and he's a mission kid so there is no rush. The other two I don't know anything about but not signing yet is a bad sign, I would think.

We're "in the mix" for some other players (Tanuai from Idaho, a LB from Louisiana, and a RB from California that will end up at Arizona State, among others), but I wouldn't hold my breath on any of them.
    Last edited by Applejack; 12-19-2019 at 12:57 PM.