Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Conference Play Thread

Great win tonight. USC has tired legs. Btw Talk about underperforming. USC has the best talent in the conference and they will end up 6th maybe 7th
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Great win tonight. USC has tired legs. Btw Talk about underperforming. USC has the best talent in the conference and they will end up 6th maybe 7th
    Andy Enfield is a cautionary tale that everyone should be mindful of as we navigate the waters of the "Fire Larry" discourse. Enfield's Florida Gulf Coast team came out of nowhere, won a couple games as a Cinderella in the NCAA and he was the flavor of the month. He's an educated guy that left a lucrative position in business with a super hot wife and everybody wanted him at that point. USC goes out and gets him and the narrative is that USC did such a great job to land Enfield.

Well, fast forward what 5-6 years now? Enfield has pulled in some really impressive talent and sent several to the NBA (with more to come). And what does he have to show for it? They've pretty much underperformed their talent level for his entire tenure. Have they even won an NCAA game? Larry, who sucks and everyone wants to replace, has owned him as long as he's been at USC. Enfield's won a few here and there but given the talent of the respective teams he should beat Utah more often than not.

Moral of the story: The flavor of the month coach is often a flash in the pan with not much sustainable. Larry's not getting it done but if/when we make a change let's not just go chasing the shiniest new thing and end up with the next Giac or Boylen (two coaches who had some good things on their resumes but lacked an established track record of head coaching success over a length of time). I hope that if this change happens, whether it be this year or next, that Harlan has an actual plan in place and isn't just throwing booster money around assuming that things will automatically improve. (Also, we don't know if Harlan has an eye for coaching talent and ability to get his guy--his hires at USF did not work out very well).

It was great to see us get the win. You could tell we wanted it badly and were working for it, but USC made a couple of runs. Glad we help them off.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Some guy named Armstrong tweeted Thursday from the tv broadcast, to the effect, "you can see this team does not like paying for its coach." True in whole or in part?
    I've seen "doesn't like playing for its coach" before, and I don't see that here. The players seem to love Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    USC goes out and gets him and the narrative is that USC did such a great job to land Enfield.
    I remember plenty of skeptics (including myself) at the time he was hired.

(Also, we don't know if Harlan has an eye for coaching talent and ability to get his guy--his hires at USF did not work out very well).
    No one has ever convinced me that there is such a thing as an "eye for coaching talent". I think this is more or less a game of chance. You have guys from mid majors who make the leap successfully and guys who fail. You have assistants who succeed as first time head coaches, and you have guys who flop. I just think a lot of luck is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    They won’t ever be .
    I don't know how anyone could say with such certitude that UCLA "won't ever be great." A top five tradition, in the middle of the best recruiting grounds in the nation, one of the country's most glamourous campuses, five star academics. All they have needed is a real coach, and they appear to have one now.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don't know how anyone could say with such certitude that UCLA "won't ever be great." A top five tradition, in the middle of the best recruiting grounds in the nation, one of the country's most glamourous campuses, five star academics. All they have needed is a real coach, and they appear to have one now.
    I don't know how good Cronin is as a recruiter but if he's even just average, UCLA will be a power again. They could easily win the conference tournament this year and a game or two in the big dance.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    He was talking about WSU, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I don't know how good Cronin is as a recruiter but if he's even just average, UCLA will be a power again. They could easily win the conference tournament this year and a game or two in the big dance.
    I think they win out and win the regular season title.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

So Where the conference finish? Team - current record - final games - Prediction
    ASU - 10-4 - @ Socal, Wash - 3-1 loss to @UCLA
    Oregon - 10-5 - Ore st, Nocals - 3-0
    Colo - 10-5 - @ Nocals, @Utah - 3-0
    UCLA - 10-5 - Zonas @USC - 3-0
    Arizona - 9-5 @ Socal Wash - 3-1 loss @UCLA
    USC - 8-7 Zonas UCLA - 0-3 Lose to Ariz, ASU & UCLA
    Stanford - 7-7 Mtns, @ Oregons - 1-3)lose to Utah, Colo, Oregon
    Utah - 6-9 - @ Nocals, Colo - 2-1 lose to Colorardo
    Cal - 5-9 - Mtns , @Oregons - 0-4 lose Colo, Utah, Oregon, Oregon st
    Oregon St - 5-10 @ Oregon, Nocals - 1-2 lose to Oregon & Stanford
    Wazzu - 5-10 - @ Wash, @ Zonas - 0-3 lose to Washington, AZ and ASU
    Washington 3-12 - Wazzu, @ Zonas - 1-2 Lose to AZ and ASU

that puts the seeding as follows after tiebreakers
    1. Oregon
    2. UCLA
    3. Colorado
    4. ASU
    5. Arizona
    6. Utah
    7. USC
    8. Stanford
    9. Oregon st
    10. Cal
    11. Wazzu
    12. Washington

You know, folks like to get mad at Larry...but how about the waste of a season that Oregon St. has had? All that upperclassmen talent with Tinkle and Thompson and Kelly and they're likely to finish in the 9-11 range. Crazy.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So Where the conference finish? Team - current record - final games - Prediction
    ASU - 10-4 - @ Socal, Wash - 3-1 loss to @UCLA
    Oregon - 10-5 - Ore st, Nocals - 3-0
    Colo - 10-5 - @ Nocals, @Utah - 3-0
    UCLA - 10-5 - Zonas @USC - 3-0
    Arizona - 9-5 @ Socal Wash - 3-1 loss @UCLA
    USC - 8-7 Zonas UCLA - 0-3 Lose to Ariz, ASU & UCLA
    Stanford - 7-7 Mtns, @ Oregons - 1-3)lose to Utah, Colo, Oregon
    Utah - 6-9 - @ Nocals, Colo - 2-1 lose to Colorardo
    Cal - 5-9 - Mtns , @Oregons - 0-4 lose Colo, Utah, Oregon, Oregon st
    Oregon St - 5-10 @ Oregon, Nocals - 1-2 lose to Oregon & Stanford
    Wazzu - 5-10 - @ Wash, @ Zonas - 0-3 lose to Washington, AZ and ASU
    Washington 3-12 - Wazzu, @ Zonas - 1-2 Lose to AZ and ASU

1. Oregon
    2. UCLA
    3. Colorado
    4. ASU
    5. Arizona
    6. Utah
    7. USC
    8. Stanford
    9. Oregon st
    10. Cal
    11. Wazzu
    12. Washington
    Utah winning two road games, likely without Rylan? I wish I could muster that kind of optimism. I think if Rylan is out this week 0-3 is more likely than 2-1 with 1-2 being more likely than either.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Utah winning two road games, likely without Rylan? I wish I could muster that kind of optimism. I think if Rylan is out this week 0-3 is more likely than 2-1 with 1-2 being more likely than either.
    We have already beat those teams and we match up very well with them. I think #gachscratchfever breaks out of his slump

Big game tonight. We need these next 2. We Don't want the 8-9 game cause it starts at noon

Big game tonight. We need these next 2. We Don't want the 8-9 game cause it starts at noon
    I guess. It's a big game to me because I'd like to see a road win, but I don't think seeding matters much at this point.

Without Jones, I would like to see us push the tempo. Everyone on the team can run except maybe Battin. We can rotate in more guys that usual. I'm sure we'll turn it over too much, but I think we'll score.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess. It's a big game to me because I'd like to see a road win, but I don't think seeding matters much at this point.

Without Jones, I would like to see us push the tempo. Everyone on the team can run except maybe Battin. We can rotate in more guys that usual. I'm sure we'll turn it over too much, but I think we'll score.
    Jones out for sure?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Seeding matters because solon won't make it till half time of the first game and 8-9 is the first game. Yes it's selfish but it's why I think be it's important

Jones out for sure?

No, sorry, just an assumption.

Seeding matters because solon won't make it till half time of the first game and 8-9 is the first game. Yes it's selfish but it's why I think be it's important
    Well, I'm certainly pulling for the best seed we can get. I like Solon, even though he bailed on us for (another assumption) that board for Provo dirtbags.

At this very moment, Utah would be in the 8/9 game with Cal and would then get Arizona St...which I wouldn't hate. I'm probably not giving Hurley and friends enough credit, but I'd probably far prefer that to a second round matchup against Oregon or Arizona.

All that said...Cal has a real chance to go 0-4 down the stretch (I suppose Utah does too). Wazzu is looking at 0-3, Washington 1-2, and Oregon St. 1-2 or 2-1..(they host the NorCal schools and play at Oregon). So - a lot of hoops left here with just 3/4 games to play.

If I had to guess...

Utah goes 2-1 (either sweeping the road trip or knocking off a CU team that may not have much to gain by playing starters 30 minutes).
    Cal goes 0-4
    Oregon St. goes 1-2
    Washington goes 1-2
    Wazzu goes 0-3

So that would make seeds 8-12:

8. Utah
    9. Oregon St.
    10. Cal (cal should have the tiebreaker)
    11. Wazzu
    12. Washington
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It's a miracle we are only down 12 at half

sigh..... I guess you cant expect to win when you only score 4 points (on 6 total shots!) in the first 10 minutes of the game

sigh..... I guess you cant expect to win when you only score 4 points (on 6 total shots!) in the first 10 minutes of the game
    When you have almost twice as many turnovers as shot attempts

I thought we might finally get that road win. I was impressed with the fight and the comeback. I was happy to see Gach score (though he still can't shoot), and I was happy to see Allen back in January form after so long.

One more chance at the road win!

I thought we might finally get that road win. I was impressed with the fight and the comeback. I was happy to see Gach score (though he still can't shoot), and I was happy to see Allen back in January form after so long.

One more chance at the road win!
    Is it all in Gach’s head? His form looks Ok, although he shoots with a really high arc on his shots. He doesn’t consistently miss the same way?
    Seems the odds would be that eventually he gets lucky & banks one in or just makes one??

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Is it all in Gach’s head? His form looks Ok, although he shoots with a really high arc on his shots. He doesn’t consistently miss the same way?
    Seems the odds would be that eventually he gets lucky & banks one in or just makes one??
    He seems to have the "Yips"

2/28 Update:
    ASU - 10-5 - @ Socal, Wash - 3-0 (13-5)
    Oregon - 11-5 - Nocals - 2-0 (13-5)
    Colo - 10-6 - @ Stan, @Utah - 2-0 (12-6)
    UCLA - 11-5 - Zona @USC - 2-0 (13-5)
    Arizona - 9-6 @ UCLA Wash - 2-1 loss @UCLA (11-7)
    USC - 9-7 ASU, UCLA - 0-2 Lose to, ASU & UCLA (9-9)
    Stanford - 8-7 Colo, @ Oregons - 1-2) lose to, Colo, Oregon (9-9)
    Utah - 6-9 - @ Cal, Colo - 1-1 lose to Colorado (7-10)
    Cal - 6-9 - Utah , @Oregons - 0-3 lose Utah, Oregon, Oregon st (6-12)
    Oregon St - 5-11 Nocals - 1-1 lose to Stanford (6-12)
    Wazzu - 5-10 - @ Wash, @ Zonas - 0-3 lose to Washington, AZ and ASU (5-13)
    Washington 3-12 - Wazzu, @ Zonas - 1-2 Lose to AZ and ASU (4-14)

1. Oregon
    2. ASU
    3. UCLA
    4. Colorado
    5. Arizona
    6. USC
    7. Stanford
    8. Utah
    9. Oregon st

10. Cal
    11. Wazzu
    12. Washington

Oregon st, Utah and Cal end up tying for Oregon St wins the tiebreaker and I think Cal would be next so if we lose the next 2 we most likely will play Stanford in the 7-10
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 02-28-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Official now. 0-9 on the road.

Rylan with a concussion. Kid has taken a real beating this year.

It's hard for me to believe that a team will go from .500 and 6-12 to being good just with one more season of experience and a few freshmen.

It's dumb that games in November and December are weighted more than games in February and March when it comes to an NCAA resume. That is all.

Well, I'm certainly pulling for the best seed we can get. I like Solon, even though he bailed on us for (another assumption) that board for Provo dirtbags.
    What the hey???
    I'm here. I just read more than I write.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.