Thread: The 2020 Conference Play Thread

Hybrid View

Tough loss but I didn't expect it to be very close so I don't think the glass is half empty. We defended really well. Rylan Jones' composure continues to have a great effect. Carlson had some really nice moments as did Battin and Brenchley. I don't know that either of the fouls on Brenchley were fouls. Really questionable. The free throws missed by Timmy and Carlson late were killers.

The negative for me is another really poor finish in the final seconds. Just like the Oregon game, the Utes fail miserably in their final real attempt. Not coincidental that it's Timmy again. While he certainly is the offensive leader of this team, I really question his decision-making in both games. Against Oregon it was an ill-advised three with plenty of time on the clock. Last night, the defender has him dead to rights but he shoots (really almost hands) the ball anyway. Nothing like a two-handed block/grab of the ball. I don't mean to be overly critical of Tim. It makes me wonder if the coaches are working with him on end of game situations and helping him expand his game. He absolutely had a step back in the lane if it was in his repertoire. I love his willingness to take tough shots but he's got to get the game to do more than drive to the hoop. If a coach will take him aside in the off season and really help tweak his shooting form and help him develop an outside shot he may be a next level player.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    The negative for me is another really poor finish in the final seconds. Just like the Oregon game, the Utes fail miserably in their final real attempt.
    Well, remember that we closed out well in some other close games this season.

I agree on the Brenchley calls. Those were questionable and crucial calls. Four free points late in a game where neither team could score.
    Last edited by sancho; 01-31-2020 at 01:15 PM.

You're right Sancho - we have closed well in a few. I just remain a little bitter about ending halfs and ending games better under Larry. I do think that to your point of some better finishes this season that we point to Rylan. BYU, Washington and WSU were all games where he took control late. That's really something. He just knows how to play. That ability seems to be infectious with many others on the team and bodes well for the future.

I hope we stay in the game against UCLA and get another chance to finish one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I hope we stay in the game against UCLA and get another chance to finish one out.
    UCLA beat CU, so either the Bruins are coming into their own, or they used up their luck already this week. I don't think I've seen any of UCLA this season.

Great game! Carlsen was terrific
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

If Carlsen continues to play like that they could finish .500 in league play. Key stat of the night: Carlsen 1 foul
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

If we want to keep the "exceeds preseason expectations" streak alive, we need to beat Cal. We'd be 5-6, likely in 7th place, and just a half game behind a couple teams. Even though the postseason probably won't happen, the team is fun to watch for the most part. The long scoring droughts in every game are not fun to watch, though.