Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Conference Play Thread

The 2020 Conference Play Thread

The OOC schedule has been put to bed (for about 10 days now).

The Utes head into their league schedule at 9-3, and, as of this writing, 2 Q1 wins (Kentucky, Minnesota) and 2 Q2 wins (BYU, @Nevada). Their NET ranking is 58, and their KenPom ranking is 109.

This leads us to conference play, where six of the next seven games will be against NET top 100 teams, starting tonight with Oregon St. in the Huntsman Center.

Oregon St. is 76 in the NET and has a win over Iowa St (which is now a Q3 win after Iowa St. lost to Florida A&M), and losses to Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. Tres Tinkle and Timmy Allen are the top two scorers in the league to start conference play, so it should be an interesting battle.

If you believe as I do, that the Utes need to win 8-10 games in conference to potentially make the NCAA Tournament, then tonight is one of those critical games. Utah is a 2 point favorite in this game.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    If you believe as I do, that the Utes need to win 8-10 games in conference to potentially make the NCAA Tournament, then tonight is one of those critical games. Utah is a 2 point favorite in this game.
    I'm surprised we are favored. Tinkle is one of the best players in the conference. Big game for both teams. We have such a brutal start. How many of our first 6 do we need to win in order to still have confidence?

So far, so good! Keep it up, Utes. I love when Gach has his aggressive attitude.

After decades of coaches saying "we're gonna put the run back in Runnin' Utes," this year's team may actually deliver. Gach and Allen are very good in transition.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    After decades of coaches saying "we're gonna put the run back in Runnin' Utes," this year's team may actually deliver. Gach and Allen are very good in transition.
    Counterpoint: we take the shot clock down to 0 on an unhealthy percentage of possessions.

#gachscratchfever
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Good start To conference play. When we make our free throws we are So much better
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Good start To conference play. When we make our free throws we are So much better
    Yes sir! Tough stretch coming up, so this is one we had to have. Sole possession of first place for like 15 more minutes!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Fun game. We played well and beat a good team. Shots were falling, especially from 3 point range. Not a great crowd, but a few dunks and hustle plays energized the arena.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Saturday will be the harbinger. I could see us losing by 36 or eking out a win. I'm not making any predictions, though.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

This is off topic, but I caught a few minutes of Mike Newlin being interviewed by Bill Reilly. It was an interesting interview. Newlin talked about how he was recruited and had offers from a bunch of different schools, including UCLA and Stanford. He said he had offers to play both basketball and football at UCLA and believed that he had to play both in order to go to UCLA. Although he definitely considered Stanford, at the time only the conference champion went to the NCAA tournament and he believed he had a much better shot to get there at Utah than at Stanford as the Utes had been to the Final 4 twice in the mid-60's. He calculated that by the time he got to the NBA he had spent almost 16,000 hours practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Saturday will be the harbinger. I could see us losing by 36 or eking out a win. I'm not making any predictions, though.
    a win certainly helps build a tournament resume. Although, honestly a lot would have to break Utah’s way for them to be in the dance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This is off topic, but I caught a few minutes of Mike Newlin being interviewed by Bill Reilly. It was an interesting interview. Newlin talked about how he was recruited and had offers from a bunch of different schools, including UCLA and Stanford. He said he had offers to play both basketball and football at UCLA and believed that he had to play both in order to go to UCLA. Although he definitely considered Stanford, at the time only the conference champion went to the NCAA tournament and he believed he had a much better shot to get there at Utah than at Stanford as the Utes had been to the Final 4 twice in the mid-60's. He calculated that by the time he got to the NBA he had spent almost 16,000 hours practicing.
    He never did go to the NCAA playoffs with Utah. He had fine collegiate and NBA careers, though.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Fun game. We played well and beat a good team. Shots were falling, especially from 3 point range. Not a great crowd, but a few dunks and hustle plays energized the arena.
    Well, the shots didn’t fall nearly as well today, but we still battled and still kept things close against a very good Oregon team.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Well, the shots didn’t fall nearly as well today, but we still battled and still kept things close against a very good Oregon team.
    When we came back down 10, I thought we had it. Pritchard was very good for them in key moments. I think we called the final play for Jones. It makes sense; he is our best 3 point shooter. But I think we should have called it for Battin or Gach, simply because their size gives them a better chance of getting something off if the play falls apart, as it did. Also, Gach earned it. Hindsight.

I hate to watch our team in half court on either end. They seem so hapless.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Boy this game is brutal. Jones and reinger are the only quasi bright spots

Boy this game is brutal. Jones and reinger are the only quasi bright spots

That was absolutely atrocious.
    It's okay to lose sometimes.
    But not by 39.... yuck.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Ugh. The goodwill of the Kentucky win is going to evaporate quickly if we have a few more 40 point losses.

We need a split in Arizona next week.

Arizona blown out by OSU tonight. The wildcats will be mad on Thursday. I think we lose big again. We gotta get the ASU game on Sat.

I think this team needs Carlson to develop quickly. We need a post presence, and he's the only real hope.

I think our ideal starting lineup is Jones, Gach, Allen, Jantunen, Carlson. We'd have Battin, Brenchley, and Thione coming off the bench.

Here's what we need from each player over the next year:

Jones: a great PG. He doesn't really do the drive and dish or drive at all, but otherwise, not much to ask.

Allen: First team all-conference potential. His size means he will struggle against certain teams, and he can't become the post presence we need. The best way to help the team would be to develop an outside shot.

Gach: He needs to be the guard who drives and dunks or drives and dishes. He needs better ball handling skills for this. He has the most potential on the team. He could become a great defender. He needs to be more consistent with his outside shot. He could also help by picking up some post moves, but that's probably off the priority list.

Carlson: Just needs moves in the post. Maybe he needs to add strength for that.

Jantunen: Needs an offensive game. A jumper and/or a post game. The energy and rebounding are there, and that will keep him on the floor.

Battin: I dunno. I think he just needs to keep doing what he's doing, but better. He's there to spread the floor, so he has to hit his shots. Maybe he can become more aggressive in the post.

Brenchley: Looks like a shooter. He needs to start making them. He's like PVD in years 1-3. Hopefully, it comes together for him faster than it did for PVD.

Thione: Just play defense, rebound, and dunk whenever possible. That will be his role throughout his career.

We had an 8 game stretch in which we were supposed to go 0-8. We are 2-3 so far. If we finish the stretch 5-3, you can book our ticket to the dance right now. If we go 4-4, you'd have to like our chances. If we finish 3-5, I'll still have a glimmer of hope, depending on how we look in the win and the losses. If we finish 2-6, the dream is over.

I would add to Sancho's list of what we need - every player, especially Carlson and Thione, need to get in the weight room.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I would add to Sancho's list of what we need - every player, especially Carlson and Thione, need to get in the weight room.

Battin especially too. He is sooooo soft under the basket. Passes the ball back out or gets stuffed usually.

Sigh.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Battin especially too. He is sooooo soft under the basket. Passes the ball back out or gets stuffed usually.
    He doesn't have a quick elevator. Not light in the feet. That most likely will never change.

3 out of the last five we have been run out of the building. We need a 2 guard that can hit the corner 3.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He doesn't have a quick elevator. Not light in the feet. That most likely will never change.
    Battin could be a nice shooting option off the bench, but I think it's a bad sign if he's still starting next season.

3 out of the last five we have been run out of the building. We need a 2 guard that can hit the corner 3.
    I think Brenchley or Plummer could do that. Or Gach (though he was awful last night). I think the problem offensively is that we have no way to get the ball inside. Allen/Gach can drive at times (and when they can, there is a night and day difference in our offense), but we have no post threats at all to keep a defense honest. Even if we had your 2-guard, I don't think we can get shots for him.

We are now 2-4 in our 8 game murderer's row. Three of the losses were blowouts. Those three teams (SDSU, CU, and Zona) have something in common - they all have big men who can score. We have no interior defense at all. Zona killed us with three pointers last night, but it was inside out. They started by having Nnaji abuse Carlson in the post. Any team with a scoring big man is going to be licking their chops when they see Utah film. (The fourth loss came against a guard oriented team without much inside scoring, Oregon).

It is disheartening that we never made a run in any of those three blowout losses.

ASU has Romelo White averaging 11 pnts and 10 rebounds per game. I don't know how we deal with that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are now 2-4 in our 8 game murderer's row.
    It is clear that we are not in the top tier of the Pac-12. The next two games dictate whether we can compete for the middle tier (5-8) or whether we are in the bottom tier (9-12).