Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Conference Play Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    What the hey???
    I'm here. I just read more than I write.
    I'm pretty discouraged at the way the season is finishing up. It doesn't feel like we're even close.

So Let's Talk Pac-12 Tourney Scenarios: Utah can finish anywhere from 8-11

Utah has Colorado at home

Cal 7 wins - @Ore @Oregon St
    Wazzu 6 wins - @Ariz @ASU
    Oregon St 5 wins - Stanford, Cal

Most likely scenario:
    Utah loses to Colo
    Oregon St beats cal loses to stanford
    Cal loses to both oregon and oregon st
    Wazzu loses to Ariz and ASU

Cal is the 8th seed
    Utah is the 9th seed (2-1) against wazzu and oregon st
    Wazzu is 10 beat oregon st
    Oregon St is the 11 seed

If Utah beats colorado and just ore st doesnt sweep and wazzu doenst win a game
    Same seeds as above

If Utah beats colorado and Ore st sweeps then
    then Ore St is the 8 seed
    Cal is the 9 seed
    Utah is the 10 seed
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I really don't think it matters, but in most tournaments, the 10 seed is better than the 8/9.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I really don't think it matters, but in most tournaments, the 10 seed is better than the 8/9.
    only thing that matters to me is when they play.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I'm pretty discouraged at the way the season is finishing up. It doesn't feel like we're even close.
    There a strong young nucleus. A good coach could take them places in the next couple of years.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

The Buffs are in a bit of a free-fall at the moment. 10-4 and first place outright to 10-7, and quite possibly missing a top 4 seed in Vegas.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The Buffs are in a bit of a free-fall at the moment. 10-4 and first place outright to 10-7, and quite possibly missing a top 4 seed in Vegas.
    We are probably just what the doctor ordered for them. I think we can make it more competitive than it was in Boulder, though. It's senior night!

We are probably just what the doctor ordered for them. I think we can make it more competitive than it was in Boulder, though. It's senior night!
    You mean senior noontime

I'm glad we get to honor Marc Renniger for all his contributions to the program. And people say Larry doesn't have any upperclassmen. Psh.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Ok here are the seeding scenarios. Utah, Wazzu and Oreg st are 1 back of Cal
    If Utah, Oreg st (Cal), Wazzu (@ASU) and Utah all win Cal gets 8th seed, Utah 9th, Wazzu 10th, Oreg st 11th
    If Oreg st and Utah win Oreg st 9th seed Utah 10th Wazzu 11
    If Wazzu and Utah win Utah Utah 9th seed Wazzu 10th Oreg st 11
    If Utah, Ore st and wazzu all lost Utah 9th seed, wazzu 10th ore st 11

Selfishly I want the 7-10 game because it starts at 6pm pacific. So I hope the most likely happens. Ore st wins and Wazzu loses which puts us at 10

I can't help but wonder how much trouble CU is in. Was safely in the field before today. Could potentially get the 5 seed in Vegas and a matchup against the best last-place team in the country, perhaps ever. Could enter Selection Sunday on a five-game losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I can't help but wonder how much trouble CU is in. Was safely in the field before today. Could potentially get the 5 seed in Vegas and a matchup against the best last-place team in the country, perhaps ever. Could enter Selection Sunday on a five-game losing streak.
    In Lunardi's latest projection, I think they were in a 7/10 game with ETSU...and ETSU has been running through teams, so they are no joke. Would get SDSU with a win. Either way, CU looked like a team with a decent chance to be around on the second weekend and now they could easily be one and done.

Timmy Allen named second team all Pac 12.

Both Gach gets the player of the week award.

Timmy Allen named second team all Pac 12.
    The talk around town is about whether or not this team (assuming no transfers...fingers crossed) is a tournament team next year. We had one player on the 2nd team all-conference (and he's only a sophomore), but no one else on any lists (including honorable mentions or all freshman teams). Is that enough for me to get my hopes up?

Gach, Carlson, and Jones do have all-conference honors potential. Maybe some of the newcomers do as well.

Pelle Larsson is the leading everything for his U18 Swedish team. 16 pts, 7 reb & 6 assists.

Listed at 6’4”.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Pelle Larsson is the leading everything for his U18 Swedish team. 16 pts, 7 reb & 6 assists.

Listed at 6’4”.
    Caleb Lohner. Listed at 6’9”. 230–same size as Battin. But he has a 40” vertical.?

14, 6 & 2.

And Martinez is supposedly better than these 2.

That is a ton of talent coming in.

Caleb Lohner. Listed at 6’9”. 230–same size as Battin. But he has a 40” vertical.?

14, 6 & 2.

And Martinez is supposedly better than these 2.

That is a ton of talent coming in.

And if true that is the same vertical as Donovan Mitchell.

I love replying to my own quotes—just like talking to myself.

And if true that is the same vertical as Donovan Mitchell.

I love replying to my own quotes—just like talking to myself.
    For comparison, Marcus Williams was a 43.5”.

And my vertical (standing which is much harder haha) is 18.5”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill Riley mentioned yesterday that he spoke to a "west coast, high-level, D1" coach yesterday (could be larry for all I know) and that person told him that of the 3 incoming recruits, he likes Larsson the best.

Our 14 for next season, in my predicted order of minutes per game:

PGs: Jones
    Guards: Gach, Martinez, Plummer, Larsson, Brenchley, Wenzel
    Forwards: Allen, Jantunen, Lohner, Battin
    Centers: Carlson, Thione, Van Komen

I think Jones, Gach, Allen, Jantunen, Carlson are all around 30 mpg. That leaves about 50 minutes per game to divvy up among the rest.

Our 14 for next season, in my predicted order of minutes per game:

PGs: Jones
    Guards: Gach, Martinez, Plummer, Larsson, Brenchley, Wenzel
    Forwards: Allen, Jantunen, Lohner, Battin
    Centers: Carlson, Thione, Van Komen

I think Jones, Gach, Allen, Jantunen, Carlson are all around 30 mpg. That leaves about 50 minutes per game to divvy up among the rest.
    You are 1 over—they only get 13 scholarships.

Wenzel will need to be a Forward—not a great ball handler. Decent shooter.

You are 1 over—they only get 13 scholarships.

Wenzel will need to be a Forward—not a great ball handler. Decent shooter.
    I know I'm one over, but we are one over right now. I just listed all 14.

Jones in street clothes

I guess when Plummer his 7 3s you'll be ok

No Utah band... Oregon St playing Utah fight song.... Super classy

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    No Utah band... Oregon St playing Utah fight song.... Super classy
    Holy Crap! 8-11 from 3 point line, with 18 left in the 2nd half?

Hopefully that opens up the middle for Allen, Jantunen, and Carlson later.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Ugh, that Both Gach turnover. We can't lose this game. Not after Plummer hits 11 threes. Here we go...last shot for OSU.

Man, we choked.

Painful. 14 point lead in the 2nd half. Lead in the last few minutes. Turnover into open three. Just awful.

Painful. 14 point lead in the 2nd half. Lead in the last few minutes. Turnover into open three. Just awful.
    Really missed Rylan Jones