Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Conference Play Thread

Rylan Jones had a near perfect game.

Brandon Carlson must have looked at the message boards last week when people were wishing we had Jayce back. He's been great the past two games.

Jantunen could have been player of the game, but Rylan the Kid was too good.

Both Gach needs something to wake him up. Maybe a dip in the great salt lake? Maybe a plate of Taco's Don Ramon at the Red Iguana? Maybe a voodoo doll named Joe Boo?

Next week - a split on the road would be huge. We'd be 4-5 with 5 home/4 away remaining. A win over USC would be extremely unexpected and energizing.

Red Death,
    The Utes played really hard this week defensively. I wouldn't say their defense against Washington was great; but I think they executed a game plan well. It seemed to me that they decided to live with some three-point open looks and work hard in the middle. I didn't see today's game but I can't argue with the result. I'm thrilled to see them rebound with wins. We'll see how they do on another road trip. They need to play better on the road defensively. That's how they'll stay in games. A split next week is possible if they'll really commit to executing a defensive game plan on the road.

I am not sure what to make about the coaches personnel decisions against WSU. Lahat and Plummer, who have both playing a few minutes lately did not get any minutes. I did not see anything in WSU's personnel that indicated to me that Lahat and Plummer could not get a few minutes.

Our 3FG% is dropping fast. In order of attempts:

Gach is down to 27% in his awful slump.
    Jones is down to 42% from 50% earlier, which means he must be shooting 30% for the past two weeks.
    Battin steady at 37%.
    Brenchley is up to 40%.
    Plummer is at 32%.
    Allen is at 22%.

The team is shooting 33% on the season.

Gach is losing minutes in his slump. His minutes per game for the past 10 games: 37, 34, 30, 35, 38, 29, 29, 22, 31, 26. He's gonna keep losing minutes to Brenchley and Plummer if he can't figure out how to contribute something.

I'm expecting a loss at USC tomorrow, but hoping the Utes can grab a win at UCLA on Sunday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm expecting a loss at USC tomorrow, but hoping the Utes can grab a win at UCLA on Sunday afternoon
    I can live with a loss tomorrow, but another blowout loss will be completely deflating. If we want to believe that our wins against Washington schools meant something, we have to be competitive tomorrow.

I'm not sure what the numbers say, but my old memory says Larry is usually pretty good against Enfield.

ASU got beat by Wazzu last night. Life on the road in the Pac 12 is tough man. WSU and Cal have both matched their league win totals from last year. If Washington doesn't beat Arizona tonight, they'll be 2-7 to start league play. Crazy.

We always seem to matchup well against USC for some reason...so I'm hopeful. I certainly like us +8.5 or whatever it is.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Gach not starting
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Is gach hurt?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I hope this helps him out. Something needs to happen to get him back on track.

Tough loss. Brenchley with two away from the ball fouls in the last few minutes. Gifted them 4 points. Carlson's missed FTs. And Timmy Allen's last shot was just not a good match up all night.

it was painful watching us trying to get any open shots most of the last 10 minutes. Their bigs are athletic enough to switch on screens and guard any of our quicker players. We couldn't get many open looks. That game was Utah's to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    it was painful watching us trying to get any open shots most of the last 10 minutes. Their bigs are athletic enough to switch on screens and guard any of our quicker players. We couldn't get many open looks. That game was Utah's to steal.
    It sure was, and it was the kind of steal that would have kept postseason hopes alive.

I think we've struggled all season with big teams (except Kentucky). Allen can't get his offense going against those long defenders of SDSU, UW, USC, CU, and Zona.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ASU got beat by Wazzu last night. Life on the road in the Pac 12 is tough man. WSU and Cal have both matched their league win totals from last year. If Washington doesn't beat Arizona tonight, they'll be 2-7 to start league play. Crazy.

We always seem to matchup well against USC for some reason...so I'm hopeful. I certainly like us +8.5 or whatever it is.
    I took your advice.

Tough loss but I didn't expect it to be very close so I don't think the glass is half empty. We defended really well. Rylan Jones' composure continues to have a great effect. Carlson had some really nice moments as did Battin and Brenchley. I don't know that either of the fouls on Brenchley were fouls. Really questionable. The free throws missed by Timmy and Carlson late were killers.

The negative for me is another really poor finish in the final seconds. Just like the Oregon game, the Utes fail miserably in their final real attempt. Not coincidental that it's Timmy again. While he certainly is the offensive leader of this team, I really question his decision-making in both games. Against Oregon it was an ill-advised three with plenty of time on the clock. Last night, the defender has him dead to rights but he shoots (really almost hands) the ball anyway. Nothing like a two-handed block/grab of the ball. I don't mean to be overly critical of Tim. It makes me wonder if the coaches are working with him on end of game situations and helping him expand his game. He absolutely had a step back in the lane if it was in his repertoire. I love his willingness to take tough shots but he's got to get the game to do more than drive to the hoop. If a coach will take him aside in the off season and really help tweak his shooting form and help him develop an outside shot he may be a next level player.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    The negative for me is another really poor finish in the final seconds. Just like the Oregon game, the Utes fail miserably in their final real attempt.
    Well, remember that we closed out well in some other close games this season.

I agree on the Brenchley calls. Those were questionable and crucial calls. Four free points late in a game where neither team could score.
    Last edited by sancho; 01-31-2020 at 01:15 PM.

You're right Sancho - we have closed well in a few. I just remain a little bitter about ending halfs and ending games better under Larry. I do think that to your point of some better finishes this season that we point to Rylan. BYU, Washington and WSU were all games where he took control late. That's really something. He just knows how to play. That ability seems to be infectious with many others on the team and bodes well for the future.

I hope we stay in the game against UCLA and get another chance to finish one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I hope we stay in the game against UCLA and get another chance to finish one out.
    UCLA beat CU, so either the Bruins are coming into their own, or they used up their luck already this week. I don't think I've seen any of UCLA this season.

Great game! Carlsen was terrific

If Carlsen continues to play like that they could finish .500 in league play. Key stat of the night: Carlsen 1 foul

If we want to keep the "exceeds preseason expectations" streak alive, we need to beat Cal. We'd be 5-6, likely in 7th place, and just a half game behind a couple teams. Even though the postseason probably won't happen, the team is fun to watch for the most part. The long scoring droughts in every game are not fun to watch, though.

The team isn't built to win this season, so this is a fun, pleasant surprise. Regardless of the outcome I love date nights with my wife, but wins this season is just icing on the cake. I think the core of this team will stick together the next two years.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

What a defensive performance by the Utes! Carlson was definitely the head of the snake but I saw terrific play from every player out there. I really love Jantuunen's effort in particular.

The threes in overtime for Brenchley were terrific. Great to see a freshman have success in moments that really matter - gotta be a big boost for his confidence. His drive and dish to Carlson for the dunk provided the proverbial nail in the coffin as well. Great game.

Here it is - the great chance to get to .500 in conference play. It won't come around again. Gotta beat the Beavers!

Here's how I think the conference will pan out:

8-3 Colorado - @ Oregons, Socals, @Nocals @ Utah Predicted finish #1 14-4 (Lose to Oregon)
    7-4 Oregon - Mountains, @ AZs , Ore St , Nocals Predicted finish 13-5 (Lose @ AZ)
    6-4 Arizona - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 13-5 (Lose @ USC)
    6-4 ASU - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 10-8 (Lose @Stanford, Oregon, @ USC, @UCLa)

6-5 USC - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, UCLA Predicted finish 12-8 (Lose @ Colo @ Utah)
    6-5 UCLA - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, USC Predicted finish 10-8 (Lose @ Colo, @ Utah @ USC)
    5-5 Stanford - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 8-10 (Lose AZ, Colo, Utah , Ore, @ Oregon St)
    5-6 Utah - @ Oregons , Socals, @ Nocals Colo Predicted Finish 9-9 (Lose @ Ore , Colo, USC)
    5-6 Wazzu @Socals, NoCALs @ Wash, @ AZ Predicted Finish 6-12 ( Lose @USC, @UCLA, Stanford, @Wash, @AZ, @ASU)
    4-6 Cal - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 4-14 (Lose All games)
    4-7 Ore st Mountains, @ AZs , Oregon , Nocals Predicted finish 6-12 (beat Stanford & Cal)
    2-9 Wash @Socals, NoCALs , Wazzu @ AZ predicted Finish 3-15

Predicted tournament seeds

1. Colorado
    2. Arizona (win the tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
    3. Oregon
    4. USC
    5. UCLA (Win tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
    6. ASU
    7. Utah
    8. Stanford
    9. Oreg st
    10. Wazzu
    11. CaL
    12. Wash

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 02-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Here's how I think the conference will pan out:

8-3 Colorado - @ Oregons, Socals, @Nocals @ Utah Predicted finish #1 14-4 (Lose to Oregon)
    7-4 Oregon - Mountains, @ AZs , Ore St , Nocals Predicted finish 13-5 (Lose @ AZ)
    6-4 Arizona - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 13-5 (Lose @ USC)
    6-4 ASU - @ Nocals, Oregons, @Socals, Washes Predicted Finish 10-8 (Lose @Stanford, Oregon, @ USC, @UCLa)

6-5 USC - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, UCLA Predicted finish 12-8 (Lose @ Colo @ Utah)
    6-5 UCLA - Washs, @ Mountains, AZs, USC Predicted finish 10-8 (Lose @ Colo, @ Utah @ USC)
    5-5 Stanford - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 8-10 (Lose AZ, Colo, Utah , Ore, @ Oregon St)
    5-6 Utah - @ Oregons , Socals, @ Nocals Colo Predicted Finish 9-9 (Lose @ Ore , Colo, USC)
    5-6 Wazzu @Socals, NoCALs @ Wash, @ AZ Predicted Finish 6-12 ( Lose @USC, @UCLA, Stanford, @Wash, @AZ, @ASU)
    4-6 Cal - AZs, @ Wash , Mountains @ Oregons finish 4-14 (Lose All games)
    4-7 Ore st Mountains, @ AZs , Oregon , Nocals Predicted finish 6-12 (beat Stanford & Cal)
    2-9 Wash @Socals, NoCALs , Wazzu @ AZ predicted Finish 3-15

Predicted tournament seeds

1. Colorado
    2. Arizona (win the tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
    3. Oregon
    4. USC
    5. UCLA (Win tiebreaker cause they beat Colo)
    6. ASU
    7. Utah
    8. Stanford
    9. Oreg st
    10. Wazzu
    11. CaL
    12. Wash

I just hope we can get one win in the tournament. Haven’t we lost in the first game we have played the last 3 years? Or does it just seem that long.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Donnie Tillman is struggling at UNLV, last 4 games:

at halft tonight and hasn't played yet
    7 mins 2 points
    26 mins 8 points
    19 mins 5 points

Well... They won't shot 70% from 3 in the second half right?... Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Well... They won't shot 70% from 3 in the second half right?... Right?
    crazy to think we started off the year 1-0 in true road games and haven't won one since.