Thread: Conference 2020

Conference 2020

I'm disappointed there wasn't at least one talk (in the first session) dealing more with the current Pandemic. I understand 6 months of preparation went into focusing on the anniversary of the First Vision, and maybe they didn't have enough time to shift their focus? Personally, I could have really used some words of hope and encouragement similar to what they did during the Fall conference immediately after 9-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I'm disappointed there wasn't at least one talk (in the first session) dealing more with the current Pandemic. I understand 6 months of preparation went into focusing on the anniversary of the First Vision, and maybe they didn't have enough time to shift their focus? Personally, I could have really used some words of hope and encouragement similar to what they did during the Fall conference immediately after 9-11.
    Now that it's over, do you feel the same? I felt like covid-19 was discussed in every session and every prayer, and the tone was extremely encouraging and hopeful.

I liked conference with no audience. Everyone participated in the same way and that was unifying. I wish speakers whose first language is something other than english would deliver their talks in their native tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Now that it's over, do you feel the same? I felt like covid-19 was discussed in every session and every prayer, and the tone was extremely encouraging and hopeful.
    yes, I thought both Sunday sessions were excellent. Certainly Elder Hollands talk and President Nelson's apostolic blessing were very comforting

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020...iess-when-big/

Overall, despite several beautiful moments, this conference as a whole felt like a missed opportunity, particularly in its second day. The church had the chance to relieve suffering during what is a terrible time for many, and it instead chose the well-trod path of focusing on the uniqueness of its own truth claims.

Overall, despite several beautiful moments, this conference as a whole felt like a missed opportunity, particularly in its second day. The church had the chance to relieve suffering during what is a terrible time for many, and it instead chose the well-trod path of focusing on the uniqueness of its own truth claims.
    I think she missed the point. It's okay to celebrate history, especially during a huge anniversary.

I thought they did a great job. I would not have liked an entire conference dedicated to talks about the pandemic. That would have been more depressing than uplifting. They definitely touched on it and offered all the comfort they know how to offer with an apostolic blessing, various prayers, various talks, a hosanna shout, temple announcements, a worldwide fast (and the offerings that accompany it).

It's always easy to find things to complain about, though, if that's what you are looking for.

This is a pleasure to watch:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I liked conference with no audience. Everyone participated in the same way and that was unifying. I wish speakers whose first language is something other than english would deliver their talks in their native tongue.
    I think they tried that once. Maybe it didn't work out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I respect Jana and her writing, but I am not sure she and I watched the same conference.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I respect Jana and her writing, but I am not sure she and I watched the same conference.
    I had the exact same thought as you did on this. I suspect she slept through a good part of it (and aren't we all guilty of that?).

October conference to be virtual again

https://www.ksl.com/article/46761072...ual-only-again

Temple in Farmington , missions down to 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    Temple in Farmington , missions down to 18 months

Predictions or inside info?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

No kidding......that one is a bit of a head scratcher. Farmington makes more sense, as does Sandy/CH, and Wasatch County.

Was really hoping for an 18 month mission. My son is expecting his call any day now. 2 years without him will be a kick in the gut.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    No kidding......that one is a bit of a head scratcher. Farmington makes more sense, as does Sandy/CH, and Wasatch County.

Was really hoping for an 18 month mission. My son is expecting his call any day now. 2 years without him will be a kick in the gut.
    Keep us posted.