Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Official NHL 2013 thread, or, the thread where only 3 posters participate

That season sucked.

Good thing this offseason will be so short.

Great season, end of story. In fact, it was the best NHL season that I have ever seen. 2 amazing streaks (Blackhawks/Penguins) and the best Stanley Cup finals in my lifetime. Only a bitter Blues fan or Red Wing fan would have a problem with this season.

So before saying goodbye to this thread, it is time to talk some free agency/compliance buyouts. I for one am happy with the Blackhawks decision not to compliance buyout Hossa. Yes, this may hurt the franchise in a few years, but Hossa is a core guy on this team. He may be a part of more cups in Chicago and we need him on the roster.

I'm happy with the 2 compliance buyouts. Both were dead weight on the cap and it is good to open up that space. There are talks that Bolland is on the market and I think moving him for a draft pick is the way to go. I like Bolland, he is a good player but his cap hit is too large for this team right now. If we can get Bickell with a hometown discount at about 3.0-3.25 million, moving Bolland makes absolute sense. We can find a 3rd line center for a cheaper cost, plus I'm very happy with what Kruger brought to the team and he can be had for less than Bolland.

If it is Bickell or Boland, I take Bickell. Bickell brings the big, physical presence to the lineup that the Blackhawks need, Bolland doesn't address that need as much. However, the Blackhawks need to not overpay for Bickell. Anything over 3.5 million and they have to walk from him. Now is not the time to overpay with the risk that he just had a great playoff. We can also use Bolland's salary to help bring Roszival back. I love what Leddy brought this year, but I think he is likely gone.

This team is poised for another cup run next year. We have 1 more year of Crawford and the core of Toews/Kane/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook is still in place. We still have good depth on the roster and great coaching.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Corey Crawford is great with words.

"Fucking right Chicago!" Crawford said. "Biggest bunch of beauties in the league. Fucking worked their nuts off for this trophy. No one will ever take this away from us. We're the champs!"
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Lecavalier is an interesting though for the Blackhawks. He would make a great 2nd line center for them and he may be willing to play for cheap with the money from his buyout. If he wants to play for the best team in the NHL and win a cup, it would be a great choice for him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...fa-center-crop
    --fjm.com

"Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Bolland and Frolik traded for draft picks. I'm not going to complain about losing those 2 players. I would have loved to have both back, but that is much better than the attrition from the last cup.

Bickell is re-signed and I'm thrilled. 4 million may have been a bit of an overpay, but reports are that he was going to get 4.5 million to 5 million on the open market so I'll live with it.

Cap geek has us at 9.5 million in cap space after the Bickell deal. If we can get Leddy at 2 million per season, pull the trigger. I want to see Rozsival re-signed, but would put the max at 3 million per season on him. The question that the Blackhawks will need to keep in mind going forward is if Kane and Toews are getting raises with their next contracts. I'm not sure they will go too far up from the 6.3 million they are getting. I'm not sure they are going any higher than 7.5 million per season each.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Bolland and Frolik traded for draft picks. I'm not going to complain about losing those 2 players. I would have loved to have both back, but that is much better than the attrition from the last cup.

Bickell is re-signed and I'm thrilled. 4 million may have been a bit of an overpay, but reports are that he was going to get 4.5 million to 5 million on the open market so I'll live with it.

Cap geek has us at 9.5 million in cap space after the Bickell deal. If we can get Leddy at 2 million per season, pull the trigger. I want to see Rozsival re-signed, but would put the max at 3 million per season on him. The question that the Blackhawks will need to keep in mind going forward is if Kane and Toews are getting raises with their next contracts. I'm not sure they will go too far up from the 6.3 million they are getting. I'm not sure they are going any higher than 7.5 million per season each.
    I like Frolik quite a bit and I am sad to see him go, but his departure keeps Bickell so it is something we had to do. Despite is cup winner Bolland has been pretty average since 2010. Don't get me wrong I like the guy and he is a legacy from both cups but he isn't that special. Overall I am happy wth these moves since I really wanted Hossa and Bickell going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I like Frolik quite a bit and I am sad to see him go, but his departure keeps Bickell so it is something we had to do. Despite is cup winner Bolland has been pretty average since 2010. Don't get me wrong I like the guy and he is a legacy from both cups but he isn't that special. Overall I am happy wth these moves since I really wanted Hossa and Bickell going forward.
    Bolland was a 3rd/4th line center this year. The guy showed a lot of promise in the past, but just didn't live up to it this season. With the tight cap situation, we cannot have him sitting there as a 3rd/4th line center earning over 3.5 million per year.

I will always root for him and wanted him back, but it wasn't possible. I'm glad the Blackhawks traded him to a team that he wanted to play for.

I also like Frolik and wanted him back, but not an option. Basically, I wanted the whole team back, but we knew that wasn't happening. When Stallberg is gone, I'll be disappointed that he is no longer a Blackhawk.
    --fjm.com

Hate the Corey Crawford deal. I love the signing of Hjammer to an extension. Crawford's deal is 2-3 years too long and 3 million per overpriced. Hjammer on the other hand is signed for below what he would get on the free market. I love that deal.
    --fjm.com