Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Official NHL 2013 thread, or, the thread where only 3 posters participate

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Kane should have been a finalist for the Hart trophy. Not sure what about Tavares fewer points and negative +/- made him a better candidate than Kane or Toews.
    The award should probably be Crosby's, but I agree that Kane deserved to be a finalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    The award should probably be Crosby's, but I agree that Kane deserved to be a finalist.
    I agree. The award should go to Crosby. Kane or Toews will just have to settle for the Con Smythe.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I love the matchup between the Blackhawks and the Red Wings. It will bring me great joy for the Blackhawks to send the Red Wings home.

Red Wings play a wide open style and that plays right into the Blackhawks hands. Red Wings are not going to beat the Blackhawks at our own game.

Well that sucked. More thoughts tomorrow.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

We maybe witnessed the biggest meltdown in NHL history tonight with the leafs. How the hell are you up 4-2 with 1 min 20'sec left and end up losing. Wow.

We maybe witnessed the biggest meltdown in NHL history tonight with the leafs. How the hell are you up 4-2 with 1 min 20'sec left and end up losing. Wow.
    Couldn't happen to a better team, to the biggest douche-canoe fanbase in the entire NHL. The Muffled Laughs don't get nearly enough credit for being the arrogant pricks that they are. They're the New York Jets of the NHL -- they're legends in their minds only.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Couldn't happen to a better team, to the biggest douche-canoe fanbase in the entire NHL. The Muffled Laughs don't get nearly enough credit for being the arrogant pricks that they are. They're the New York Jets of the NHL -- they're legends in their minds only.
    I was curious what type of post would get a Sabres fan off the sidelines during the playoffs this year.

I'm not aware of the problems with Maple Leaf fans, but I do know that no fanbase could possibly be worse than Detroit Red Wing fans*

*This is not intended to be an attack on Joe Public. I have no problem with him, other than his terrible choice of a hockey team.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I was curious what type of post would get a Sabres fan off the sidelines during the playoffs this year.

I'm not aware of the problems with Maple Leaf fans, but I do know that no fanbase could possibly be worse than Detroit Red Wing fans*

*This is not intended to be an attack on Joe Public. I have no problem with him, other than his terrible choice of a hockey team.
    I endorse this post!

Have none of you dealt with flyers fans? They suck worse then byu fans and that is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    Have none of you dealt with flyers fans? They suck worse then byu fans and that is saying something.
    I strongly endorse this post. Any Sabres fan would tell you that Leafs and Flyers fans are the worst. Sabres fans hate Philly because we've met them in the postseason more than any other team. The rest of the East hates Philly because of proximity -- outside of Winnepeg, there isn't a team in the East that really doesn't have a strong Philly presence in its arena whenever the Flyers come to town.

Blackhawk fans your age wouldn't know. Toronto largely sucked when it was in the West (save for 2-3 years with Gilmour, Clark, etc.) and now that they're in the East, your exposure to them is limited.

here we go again...I hate Raffi Torres so much

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013...oll-game-1-hit
    That right there is why he should have been given a lifetime ban last year. It was only a matter of time before he head hunted again. He realized that his team was overmatched and since he adds no value to the team, he again tried to take out a player. Maybe you could give the benefit of the doubt to another player, but Torres history speaks for itself, he was headhunting.
    --fjm.com

Beating the Red Wings is always great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --fjm.com

Blackhawks are 20/20 on the penalty kill in the playoffs.
    --fjm.com

Blackhawks are 20/20 on the penalty kill in the playoffs.
    That is impressive. Special teams will be fun to watch if we get a Pens-Hawks matchup in the cup finals. Pens have a potent powerplay to say the least. Their PK is at about 93%, not 100% but pretty darn good. That could be a series for the ages.
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

here we go again...I hate Raffi Torres so much

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013...oll-game-1-hit
    After looking at that, I did a bit more looking about Torres and found this:

http://holdthepoint.com/2013/05/15/p...s-a-head-shot/
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    After looking at that, I did a bit more looking about Torres and found this:

http://holdthepoint.com/2013/05/15/p...s-a-head-shot/
    pretty persuasive.

Torres is a habitual offender that appears will NOT change the way he plays. How many times will the NHL allow for this clown to continue his antics before they finally say that they are done with him and he is gone for good? I basically root against any team that he is on. I loved the Kings coming back on the Sharks last night, and my love for that was about 95% Torres hate.

Fucking unacceptable the way the Blackhawks are playing right now. There is no excuse for this team to ever be outplayed by the Detroit Red Wings, none whatsoever. Wake the hell up in the third period and put these bastards away. Blackhawks play at our level, he would win this going away, but they aren't playing that way right now.
    --fjm.com

Chicago/Detroit is good for the NHL. Game 3 will be exciting.

The Hawks really need this one tonight!

I am glad Stalberg is skating tonight. When you have the fastest skater in the NHL you have to put him on the ice. I think Quinville messed up with his decision of putting Bolland on the third line and sitting Stalberg. The Blackhawks' third line has been sneaky good all year and I am happy they are going to get back to that chemistry. Bolland may be the odd man out here, but if the Hawks are not playing Vancouver he seems to go MIA anayway. I think Stalberg puts that breakaway in the back of the net during Saturday's game, and then who knows? Ya gotta elevate the puck when the goalie goes down Bolland...just sayin.

There is nothing I like less in sports than watching the Blackhawks lose to the damn Red Wings. The Blackhawks got absolutely screwed in that game on the goal that was waived off.
    --fjm.com

that call was complete garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Are the Hawks the 1-seed? Would this be an historic upset of epic proportions, or is it pretty typical in hockey?
    Upsets are more frequent in hockey. The kings won it all as an 8 seed last year on the back of their goal tending. If you have a hot goalie you can ride him to a Stanley cup, and right now, Howard for the Redwings is playing out of his mind.

When you have the fastest skater in the NHL you have to put him on the ice. I think Quinville messed up with his decision of putting Bolland on the third line and sitting Stalberg.
    I think coaching decisions have been a significant factor over the last two games. Howard is playing well, too.

Patrick Roy has been named Head Coach and Vice President of Hockey Operations for the Avalanche. This could be interesting.

Jimmy Howard deserves a fate worse than Nate Cooper. This one thing that I absolutely hate about hockey. You can have a far superior team in every way, but a goalie gets hot and you are out. Blackhawks are more talented and deeper at every position on the ice, but goaltender. It really isn't a close call between the 2 teams.

Unless the Blackhawks come back and win this, the season was an absolutely awful season. It is one thing to not get the cup after this great season, but to lose in the playoffs to the Red Wings is the absolute worst. I would have preferred to get knocked out in the 1st round. What a shitty season.
    --fjm.com

So I am 28 years old and have been a fan of hockey since about 1996 (my earliest memory of following the Penguins). I hated the Redwings. In that time frame they have won four Stanley Cups, one of them came against my Pens. The year they beat us (2008) I gained a ton of respect for how they play the game. I played hockey for about 10 years (not very well) and what they did as a team amazed me. They are like a well oiled machine; almost robotic. It was staggering. My BIL is from Chicago and is a Hawks fan, and I know he hates it when I say this but I no longer hate the Redwings. I respect them. I am not sure there is a better player in the NHL when it comes to neutralizing the opponents best player then Hank Zetterburg. While Howard has been standing on his head, Zetts has completely taken Toews out of the series and even frustrated him which resulted in a very poor showing last night which played a huge part in the CHI loss. While I was hoping for a Hawks-Pens final I would love to see another Wings-Pens matchup. That is good hockey.

Another note, and this is bound to ruffle more then a few feathers because he is such a polarizing figure, but is there any doubt that Crosby is the best in the game? Toews is good but has vanished, Ovechkin is the best pure goal scorer but was also MIA, Tavares has promising upside but still has a ways to go to get to Sid's level, Stamkos is skilled but has A LOT to prove, Datsuyk is better on defense then Crosby but is not nearly as explosive. Malkin is good but sometimes sloppy. While I think any of the above players can be mentioned along with Crosby as the best players in the game, I think Sid is separating himself as the clear leader.

My rankings of the best players:

1. Crosby
    2. Datsuyk
    3. Malkin
    4. Ovechkin
    5. Toews
    6. Tavares
    7. Stamkos

Here is to closing out round 2 tonight in the Burgh! Go Pens!
    "The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching."
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

The Pens are absolutely rolling right now. I don't think there is a defense good enough to stop them from scoring goals (keep in mind Ottawa was one of the best at least on paper defensively during the regular season). The question will be can they stop other teams from scoring. Vokoun has been solid in goal since relieving Flower. 6-1 with a pretty good save % and GAA. If they can deal MAF they should and use the saved $$$ to secure Malkin and Letang. A likely Bruins-Pens matchup should be intriguing.

Pens in 6.
    Joseph Smith, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawminator View Post
    So I am 28 years old and have been a fan of hockey since about 1996 (my earliest memory of following the Penguins). I hated the Redwings. In that time frame they have won four Stanley Cups, one of them came against my Pens. The year they beat us (2008) I gained a ton of respect for how they play the game. I played hockey for about 10 years (not very well) and what they did as a team amazed me. They are like a well oiled machine; almost robotic. It was staggering. My BIL is from Chicago and is a Hawks fan, and I know he hates it when I say this but I no longer hate the Redwings. I respect them. I am not sure there is a better player in the NHL when it comes to neutralizing the opponents best player then Hank Zetterburg. While Howard has been standing on his head, Zetts has completely taken Toews out of the series and even frustrated him which resulted in a very poor showing last night which played a huge part in the CHI loss. While I was hoping for a Hawks-Pens final I would love to see another Wings-Pens matchup. That is good hockey.

Another note, and this is bound to ruffle more then a few feathers because he is such a polarizing figure, but is there any doubt that Crosby is the best in the game? Toews is good but has vanished, Ovechkin is the best pure goal scorer but was also MIA, Tavares has promising upside but still has a ways to go to get to Sid's level, Stamkos is skilled but has A LOT to prove, Datsuyk is better on defense then Crosby but is not nearly as explosive. Malkin is good but sometimes sloppy. While I think any of the above players can be mentioned along with Crosby as the best players in the game, I think Sid is separating himself as the clear leader.

My rankings of the best players:

1. Crosby
    2. Datsuyk
    3. Malkin
    4. Ovechkin
    5. Toews
    6. Tavares
    7. Stamkos

Here is to closing out round 2 tonight in the Burgh! Go Pens!
    I won't argue about Crosby being the best, but leaving Kane out of the top 7 I will argue about. Toews has had a bad series but no way I trade him for Datsuyk or Malkin.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --fjm.com