Thread: The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Update:

PG: Barefield, Coleman
    SG: Bonam, Van Dyke, Zamora, Daniels, Ogbe, Baruti
    SF: Bealer
    PF: Kuzma, Rawson
    C: Collette, Johnson, Jokl

Known shooters: Bonam, Ogbe
    Potential shooters: Barefield, Van Dyke, Daniels, Baruti, Bealer, Zamora, Coleman, Rawson, Kuzma

Seems likely we will have three guards on the floor most of the time. It would be huge if either of the freshmen - Daniels/Baruti - are able to contribute in that mix since they are the tallest of the guards.

I think we're in good shape if even two of the potential shooters work out to be actual shooters. I will assume we have a post game with Collette. We know Kuzma plays well off an offensive presence in the post. I'm hoping Johnson can play defense and rebound.

Harold Baruti's committed to Utah, per Twitter. His highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuJtHSoAVQ

He wasn't on the Utah radar screen at all, AFAIK. Offers from North Carolina at Wilmington and SMU.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Are these panic pickups?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Are these panic pickups?
    A fair question.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Are these panic pickups?
    For those who like to panic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    For those who like to panic.

Does that include the coaching staff?

Baruti is listed by most as a SF.

Baruti had interest, supposedly, from Florida and Georgia as well as the offers listed above

I like what I see in the kid. We won't know much till we see him play, but he certainly has some potential.

Michigan's major news outlet, MLive, indicated he came for an official visit and also had interest from Texas Tech, and an offer from USU

He's only been in the US for 2 years

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde..._sg_harol.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what they say...scholarships are only good for one year, so you roll the dice and see if you have a few diamonds in the rough.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I don't know that they are panic pickups, and I don't know that they are not. From what we've seen of LK, however, I tend to doubt it. He seems to plan pretty carefully. He has shown that he knows how to find talent that others don't see. (Poeltl, Kuzma, Bonam, probabaly even Bachinsky.) So I am cautiously optimistic.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He's only been in the US for 2 years

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde..._sg_harol.html
    Good find, Diehard. Interesting stuff.

--Yeats

Filling in the 12th and 13th slots on your roster isn't going to wow anyone. The only thing these signing mean to me is that:

1. The coaches feel that these players are an upgrade over the players that left

2. Ogbe is probably not going to be healthy enough to play.

The latter concerns me more than the former. And that is simply because Ogbe had the skills to be special. I don't know if either of these replacement fit that bill until we can see them play with the bright lights on them

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I would also add that coaches coming off two straight tournament appearances are rarely in panic mode. If we were coming off 3 straight losing seasons, then panic would be an adjective that would be appropriate

André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I would also add that coaches coming off two straight tournament appearances are rarely in panic mode. If we were coming off 3 straight losing seasons, then panic would be an adjective that would be appropriate

Exactly. We aren't adding Dijon Farr here.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Too bad Marcroft isn't around for a "Czech it."

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    You know what they say...scholarships are only good for one year, so you roll the dice and see if you have a few diamonds in the rough.

I'm not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl here, but didn't the PAC 12 go to 4 year guaranteed scholarships a couple of years ago? Or was that only in football? I seem to remember several of the P5 conferences including the PAC going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'm not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl here, but didn't the PAC 12 go to 4 year guaranteed scholarships a couple of years ago? Or was that only in football? I seem to remember several of the P5 conferences including the PAC going this route.
    I don't know, but these guys are leaving on their own when they realize they can get more playing time elsewhere. They aren't having their scholarships revoked.

I know it was discussed, but I haven't heard that they actually implemented the 4 year scholarship.

André Gide

I'm not sure, but here's what I do know, turd in the punch bowl as an analogy always holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Too bad Marcroft isn't around for a "Czech it."
    LOL. Almost sprayed coffee around the room!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know, but these guys are leaving on their own when they realize they can get more playing time elsewhere. They aren't having their scholarships revoked.
    I was more referring to the theory that Utah may be filling their last couple of scholarships with guys who are basically on a one-year audition. It's all moot anyway, Larry knows the answer and knows how to count to 13.

I was more referring to the theory that Utah may be filling their last couple of scholarships with guys who are basically on a one-year audition. It's all moot anyway, Larry knows the answer and knows how to count to 13.
    Baruti intrigues me.

Most everything I've read on him is positive

He's obviously fairly new to the US basketball scene, so he's not one of those kids coaches have been watching since 7th grade.

To have Michigan have him on an official visit leads me to believe he must be a bit more than an audition player.

Baruti is the best possible get this late in the game, especially considering our need for an strong, athletic 3. Plus he seems to have an enormous upside to his game. His film reminds me of Princeton Onwas with a better stroke. I know he didn't shoot it well (his team had 4 other D1 players on the team, so I'm not too concerned that he only averaged 11 ppg), but his shot looks far from "broken". From what I read, Michigan was waiting to offer him until they were sure he'd qualify (may have been his TOEFL which he took last week). I'm assuming/hoping there will be no issues there.

On Jokl... hard to tell what the level of competition is in that film, but he looks pretty good to me. Moves well, shows some skill in the post, and his measurables are about what Poeltl's were coming over. Definitely worth a shot, IMO. I find it interesting that he'll be a 20 year old freshman.

This rounds out our class perfectly. I feel a lot better about the overall balance of our roster (2 SRs, 5 JRs, 2 SOPHs, 4 FR), as well as depth at each position. Also should allow us to slide Kuz up to the 3 at times if we want.

I doubt this guy has anything to do with the Utes, but I'm curious. Anyone recognize him? He's on my flight to SLC. At least 7 feet tall.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I doubt this guy has anything to do with the Utes, but I'm curious. Anyone recognize him? He's on my flight to SLC. At least 7 feet tall.

Tall guy is rudy gobert. Guy in blue shorts looks like raul neto. Both on the jazz

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Tall guy is rudy gobert. Guy in blue shorts looks like raul neto. Both on the jazz
    Aha. I know so little about the Jazz.... He's sitting right behind me. If I had kids who followed the Jazz I'd find a way to get his autograph, I guess.

Alex Jensen is on the flight too. Lots of tall timber on this plane headed to SLC.

--Yeats

It is Neto

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Let's get on him! We could use a big guy, even if he looks like a project.

Kyle Goon just posted an interesting article re our recruiting strategy

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3992619...evolving-after

Sounds like we have offered 2016 chris seeley. 6'7, 200 and that's all I can find. Likely roster fill for a year if he committs.

Sounds like we have offered 2016 chris seeley. 6'7, 200 and that's all I can find. Likely roster fill for a year if he committs.
    He appears to be a riser. Here are a couple of videos.

News video of him. http://www.onenewspage.com/video/201...ris-Seeley.htm

A dunk video. http://www.maxpreps.com/video/watch....c-ac293cbe5877