Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: Working out.

  1. #1

    Working out.

    I don't know why I never did it before but this year I signed up with a personal trainer. It has been one of the best decisions I ever made. I have been working out 5 days a week since the beginning of the year and really working on eating better and being healthy. I am noticing a huge difference. Can't believe I waited so long to do this. Guess it takes a bit of a mid-life whatever to get motivated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member big z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    146
    I've posted on other boards about what swimming has done for me. It's a pain in the ass to get going but i'm full in with it.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

  3. #3
    I started my own personal "Hell week" this week. I have been working out in the morning and evening and watching what I eat. I have already noticed a change in my energy levels and body shape. Keep it up GUBA, it only gets easier from here on out.
    To Punish and Enslave...

  4. #4
    I'm going to post here so I can keep being reminded about you guys and hopefully get my act together. I need to start doing something.

  5. #5
    Good for you Utah! Just make a commitment to yourself to make the change and you can do it. I have only missed one workout day so far this year and that was the night of the big snowstorm in Jan. I am watching what I eat and going to the gym on a schedule. It has been great.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    Good for you Utah! Just make a commitment to yourself to make the change and you can do it. I have only missed one workout day so far this year and that was the night of the big snowstorm in Jan. I am watching what I eat and going to the gym on a schedule. It has been great.
    Awesome! Thanks for the support. I was really, really into it last year. Did Insanity and the whole bit. But then I hurt my back and it killed me for about two months. Since then, I have been very, very timid/lazy (most lazy) to get back into it. I hope that by following/writing this, I will get going again.

  7. #7
    Some thoughts on fitness from my experimenting over the last few years: I've tried running, P90x, weightlifting, circuit training, High Intensity Interval Training, olympic style lifting, flag football, bball. I think it's all about finding what it is you enjoy doing. To a degree, it all sucks at first, but once you get going you realize there are things you like and things you don't and then fitting that activity to your goals. I HATE distance running, I find it boring and have no interest in having a runner's body. I lift weights 4-5 times a week with 1-2 of those being olympic style lifts (deadlift, squat, cleans, snatch) and do 2-3 sessions of HIIT. I still dread the cardio part of the day but realize it's essential if I ever want to get <15% bf.

    This past weekend I couldn't get to the gym for 4 days, it killed me and I hated not being able to go. Probably the first time in 2 years I've taken that much time off. But this week my body feels great, I feel rested and Monday morning I set a new PR on Deadlift (455).

  8. #8
    What are some exercises you guys do to strengthen your core? I do leg lifts, toe dips, and I've started doing an exercise with c-sits and a medicine ball, but I still feel like I'm capable of better results.

    (edit: all of this is combined with running ~3.5 miles 2x/week and weights 1x/week.)

  9. #9
    I know a guy who is a physical therapist at the U Hospital that lives close to me. He said that one of the best core exercises is to stand or sit straight up, and try to suck in your belly button to your back bone (make your stomach as skinny as possible). Hold for ten seconds, and do 10 times. I can't vouch for the validitiy of this, but when I do this, I find myself gettin charly horses in my abdominal and back muscles, so it must be doing something.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    What are some exercises you guys do to strengthen your core? I do leg lifts, toe dips, and I've started doing an exercise with c-sits and a medicine ball, but I still feel like I'm capable of better results.

    (edit: all of this is combined with running ~3.5 miles 2x/week and weights 1x/week.)
    I do planks and push-ups. Occasionally I throw in a an video with a bunch of crunches and leg lifts. I am still about 2 inches away from my goal size, but I have lost 2 inches since January.

    I have been doing spin classes off and on for the last 3 years. Sometimes I go 5 times a week, others just 3. Great cardio and w my sciatic issues, it doesn't kill me. That being said, supposedly the lifting and lowering on and off the seat is supposed to also be good for abs. I don't think it is all that great, but you definitely do use abs riding or running.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    What are some exercises you guys do to strengthen your core? I do leg lifts, toe dips, and I've started doing an exercise with c-sits and a medicine ball, but I still feel like I'm capable of better results.

    (edit: all of this is combined with running ~3.5 miles 2x/week and weights 1x/week.)
    I get some core exercises from my trainer on Monday. I will share them here.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    I don't know why I never did it before but this year I signed up with a personal trainer. It has been one of the best decisions I ever made. I have been working out 5 days a week since the beginning of the year and really working on eating better and being healthy. I am noticing a huge difference. Can't believe I waited so long to do this. Guess it takes a bit of a mid-life whatever to get motivated.
    Exercise is amazing. I have never been one before to like it. I actually used to hate it. I have done it off and on for years because I had to to try and lose weight. For the past 2 years I have been really consistent with it. And I have discovered I love it. I actually look forward to it. If I am feeling stressed a good workout on the elliptical really makes me feel so much better. I went straight to the gym after my beloved Broncos lost to the Ravens this year. I also enjoy lifting weights. I am so happy with the results I have achieved. I am now at the weight I was in high school, though I was never one of those size 0 girls, even in high school. It has really changed my perspective on life. I am not only obsessed with men's shoulders, I am very obsessed with mine. Love to work my shoulders.

    You have done a great job Guba. Keep going. I have noticed a change in you since you started! Great job!!!

    Last thing I want to say. It absolutely sucks that men lose weight so much easier than women. Not fair!!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyUte View Post

    You have done a great job Guba. Keep going. I have noticed a change in you since you started! Great job!!!
    Thank you. That is very kind of you to say.

  14. #14
    Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Vecinity of senioritis
    Posts
    277
    GUBA, I did this a year ago come April.

    I was hesitant at first and not very motivated.

    However, it's turned out to be very fulfilling and exciting. The results are motivating to push further ahead.

    You'll probably experience some ups and downs in regards to staying motivated or staying on task in regards to eating right and exercise, but don't get discouraged and quit. Those things happen when you are getting into the routine and aren't a sign of failure...they are just a sign of being new to something.

    It's a great feeling when people that haven't seen me in six months or a year start saying, "Hey, what are you doing? YOu look great!"


    Keep up the great work!

    And with that post, I guess I've officially joined UB5.
    Last edited by UteBeliever aka Port; 03-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    This thread just inspired me to go do my running right now instead of a nap. It's just so hard to find motivation when it's so cold out.

    I fully agree with those who have said you gotta just find something you love. Sustainability is key when it comes to exercise.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    Lose weight now. Ask me how.
    Turk, your weight loss plan sucks.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyUte View Post
    Turk, your weight loss plan sucks.
    The beauty of it is that he doesn't have to workout. He gets other people to sign up under him, they do the working out, and then he gets the benefits of it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    The beauty of it is that he doesn't have to workout. He gets other people to sign up under him, they do the working out, and then he gets the benefits of it.
    He's so lazy!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk View Post
    Lose weight now. Ask me how.
    Admiral Ackbar approves of this message.
    Those shoes are definitely bi-curious.

  21. #21
    Narrowed it down to a Concept2 Model E or Waterrower Club rowing machine. Anyone have experience with either?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Narrowed it down to a Concept2 Model E or Waterrower Club rowing machine. Anyone have experience with either?
    I use a Concept2 rower in our gym. Solidly built, whose things will last forever. There is a reason they are chosen by health clubs. I have never used a water tower. I have read they are more smooth, and I suppose people who actually row on rivers and lakes like the sloshing sound.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  23. #23
    Tried them side by side today.

    C2 is solid. Really solid. Smoother pulling action and sits higher off the ground. Less stress on back and knees climbing on and off. Great monitor. Kinda noisy.

    Waterower. Built solid and has more of a home gym "furniture" quality about it. Something you'd see in a swanky loft, even though they're popular in gyms. Stores easily. Seat and handles are more comfortable, but pulling action is not as smooth. Resistance is by how hard you pull. Monitor not as nice. Much quieter. If your home gym is in a place that disturbs others, then this is the only real choice. Low to the ground. Pulling lever is made of a strap, not a chain.

    Both rowers need a 9x4 area to function properly. Cost is $900 for a C2-D and around $1100 for a C2-E (20 inch seat off the ground) and the Waterower. Waterower needs minimal water mtc, and the C2 needs minimal chain mtc. You can buy an extra seat pad for the C2 for only $3.50 so that helps the seat comfort issue.

    In the end I think the C2 is the better fit for us. The smoother pulling action giving me what I believed was a better workout was the final selling point. Plus, our trainer swears by the reliable build and low mtc of the machine.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Tried them side by side today.

    C2 is solid. Really solid. Smoother pulling action and sits higher off the ground. Less stress on back and knees climbing on and off. Great monitor. Kinda noisy.

    Waterower. Built solid and has more of a home gym "furniture" quality about it. Something you'd see in a swanky loft, even though they're popular in gyms. Stores easily. Seat and handles are more comfortable, but pulling action is not as smooth. Resistance is by how hard you pull. Monitor not as nice. Much quieter. If your home gym is in a place that disturbs others, then this is the only real choice. Low to the ground. Pulling lever is made of a strap, not a chain.

    Both rowers need a 9x4 area to function properly. Cost is $900 for a C2-D and around $1100 for a C2-E (20 inch seat off the ground) and the Waterower. Waterower needs minimal water mtc, and the C2 needs minimal chain mtc. You can buy an extra seat pad for the C2 for only $3.50 so that helps the seat comfort issue.

    In the end I think the C2 is the better fit for us. The smoother pulling action giving me what I believed was a better workout was the final selling point. Plus, our trainer swears by the reliable build and low mtc of the machine.
    You should be happy with your choice for many years. They are bulletproof, smooth, and Concept2 has been making rowers for over 30 years. I'm jealous, I'd like one in my house. But my work has one in our onsite gym, so I can't justify the cost or taking up the space in our house.

    On a side note, every time I see this thread title, this comes to mind:

    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  25. #25
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,696
    Well, there's always this:

    Pilates-Reformer.jpg

    Looks like a medieval torture device, doesn't it?

    Great for stretching and for no-impact cardio:

    Leg-circles-reformer.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-22-2015 at 09:19 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You should be happy with your choice for many years. They are bulletproof, smooth, and Concept2 has been making rowers for over 30 years. I'm jealous, I'd like one in my house. But my work has one in our onsite gym, so I can't justify the cost or taking up the space in our house.

    On a side note, every time I see this thread title, this comes to mind:

    Update: Have had the concept2 for several months now. Love it. Steady as a rock. Also supplemented the workout room with some professional quality dumbbells. Feel like I can do pretty much anything with just those 2 pieces. Now my wife has her stuff, and I have mine. Both are happy.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,138
    Here is a tacticool workout: Maybe NSFW


  28. #28
    Man, saw this thread, clicked on it and realized I wanted to do something to help myself years ago.

    It's funny, because since the beginning of June, I've worked out three times a week and haven't missed.

    I started running/walking and couldn't get very far. Yesterday I had my best time when I ran two miles and my average pace was under 9 mins. I was happy about that.

    My goal is to be able to run 3 miles in 25 mins. I have no desire to run any further than that.

    I've also been lifting three times a week. Nothing too crazy.

    Thursday: run two miles. Bench, squats, pull-ups, crunches.

    Saturday: run two miles, overhead bench, biceps curls, deadlift, and calf raises

    Monday: run two miles, goose grip bench, front squats, Romanian deadlift, bent over row

    I like it. Big time. I'm pretty weak but feel a lot better. Plus, I do all this with my wife which is fun because it's some time with her away from the kids every week.

  29. #29
    As far as running, once I can do two miles in 8:30 pace, I'll start increasing my distance by 0.1 miles every two weeks until I can do three miles.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,241
    its National Pancake Day!

    First of last October, I went hardcore and started counting calories everyday and working out 2-3 times a week. I try to eat between 1800-2000 calories each day. I've gone from 235 lbs to 195 lbs since and have added a little muscle.

    The best thing is my fat ass fits so much better in the Huntsman Center seats that I think were designed for people from Mesopotamia 800 years ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •