Thread: Live Theatre Thread

Live Theatre Thread

I love live theatre. My parents instilled this in our family from the time we were young. We saw musicals and plays at the Capitol Theatre and also Pioneer Memorial Theatre as often as possible. We went to the Hale theatre and Desert Star and many others.

One of my favorite books growing up was Huckleberry Finn. In high school we went to see Big River. I was blown away. I still listen to the music often.

I recently found this YouTube clip of the song Muddh Water from Big River. The vocals are great but check out the way they actually use water on stage to do the Mississippi. Very very cool.

http://youtu.be/jYKc1foMWyU

This is a place to discuss and chat about live theatre in all of its forms.

Newly married, late 90's, my wife dragged me to the Pioneer Theatre Company's A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Having suffered through high school musicals as my only metric prior to that show, I was wholly ignorant of the wonder of good theatre. It was a brilliant performance. We haven't had the money or chance to go to many more in the interim, but we do go to the performances here at Coker. I'm no longer an automatic critic of the Melpomenean arts, and I love the Thalian charms (not just in Marimar). In short, when people call me a drama queen, they're half right.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Newly married, late 90's, my wife dragged me to the Pioneer Theatre Company's A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Having suffered through high school musicals as my only metric prior to that show, I was wholly ignorant of the wonder of good theatre. It was a brilliant performance. We haven't had the money or chance to go to many more in the interim, but we do go to the performances here at Coker. I'm no longer an automatic critic of the Melpomenean arts, and I love the Thalian charms (not just in Marimar). In short, when people call me a drama queen, they're half right.
    Some of my favorite performances have been local or school productions. They aren't as polished but they can be very creative and earnest and wonderful.

Our local high school put on Les Mis a few years ago. The vocals obviously weren't as mature or strong but they were very good. What stole the show, though, was that the stage crew actually built the round table set. A local donated the money and the kids actually did all of the work. It was an incredible sold out show every night.

There is a theater group in Sacramento called the B Street Theatre Company. They have a family series that we take the kids to when we are down that way. A few years ago we saw a biographical series that includes Abe Lincoln, Harriet Tubman and Thomas Edison. They were interesting, not too long, and the players didn't dial in the performance. I go back as often as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Some of my favorite performances have been local or school productions. They aren't as polished but they can be very creative and earnest and wonderful.

Our local high school put on Les Mis a few years ago. The vocals obviously weren't as mature or strong but they were very good. What stole the show, though, was that the stage crew actually built the round table set. A local donated the money and the kids actually did all of the work. It was an incredible sold out show every night.

There is a theater group in Sacramento called the B Street Theatre Company. They have a family series that we take the kids to when we are down that way. A few years ago we saw a biographical series that includes Abe Lincoln, Harriet Tubman and Thomas Edison. They were interesting, not too long, and the players didn't dial in the performance. I go back as often as I can.
    Other than Road Shows, the first time I saw live theatre was in High school. I went with the Ward for Mutual to a production of Oklahoma at Pioneer Theatre Company. I loved it. Through out high school I went to a few other plays. My wife and I regularly attend a few productions each year. There is a small theatre company in our neighbourhood. They recently put on an excellent amateur production of To Kill A Mocking Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

If life ever takes you to Atlanta, the 'grownups' shows at the Center for Puppetry Arts are absolutely amazing, and worth the high price (approx $25-$30). We went to a version of the Laramie Project here at Coker that was pretty good, though some of the kids really overacted the Mormon Stake President and Baptist Preacher roles. I skipped the Vagina Monologues of early this semester, but they're putting on something musical in the Spring, and we'll be going.

Just got tickets to take the fam to see Fiddler on the Roof.

All day long I will biddy biddy bum.

We get tickets to the Utah Shakespeape Festival every year. We normally to one Shakrespeare and one other.

We also periodically go to the Hale Center Theater.
    Last edited by happyone; 03-18-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    We get tickets to the Utah Shakespeape Festival every year. We normally to one Shakrespeare and one other.

We also periodically go to the Hale Center Theater.
    Southern Utah has some amazing theater. Shakespeare Festival and Tuacahn are both first rate. The Big River clip above is from Tuacahn and that water set is just plain amazing. Ashland Oregon has an amazing Shakespeare Festival as well which is really worth the trip of you are nearby.

Last night was the Fiddler on the Roof. It was a terrific local production. The lead for Tevya was perfectly cast with a great voice. We went with BlueGoose from cuf and another family and took all of our kids. Even the 7 and 8 year olds did well and enjoyed it. I had forgotten how great the show is.

http://m.redding.com/news/2013/apr/1...dler-must-see/

In two weeks we are going to see the local high school production of Phantom of the Opera. Our local high school does a great job with musicals. A local member of the church runs the program and really does good quality productions. They did les mis a few years ago that really was great.

I don't know how to preface this, so I'm just going to say it:

Silver Summit Theatre Company is putting on a show called "5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche."

So, get your tickets today, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I don't know how to preface this, so I'm just going to say it:

Silver Summit Theatre Company is putting on a show called "5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche."

So, get your tickets today, I guess.
    Surprisingly, good seats are still available.

Since hearing this title for the first time 10 days ago, I've been burning the candle at both ends trying to come up with something better. So far, nothing.

5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche.

We've hit the pinnacle.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You've got a problem with lesbians? Quiche? What?

I personally have no problem with any individual lesbian eating a quiche. And I have no problem with five lesbians gathering for social occasions. But I have a major problem when five lesbians get together and eat a quiche. That's where I draw the freaking line.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    You've got a problem with lesbians? Quiche? What?

I personally have no problem with any individual lesbian eating a quiche. And I have no problem with five lesbians gathering for social occasions. But I have a major problem when five lesbians get together and eat a quiche. That's where I draw the freaking line.
    It was the hairdos.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell