Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My All-Time Utah Pure Assassin Team

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I loved Majerus and what he did and I love looking at his sweater hanging there in the JMHC. I don't miss antics like his annual flirtations with other jobs, his taking a season off to care for his mother, and his resignation in mid-season based on a phony health claim. As SCP says, it was time. I wish RM could have stayed for the rest of his career but he chose not to.
    It was a complicated situation. Obviously Majerus had self-destructive tendencies. But the bottom line is Majerus' global reputation is unaffected, and he went and proved his good works and character at St. Louis.

When you really critically analyze this innuendo about Majerus' abuse, it seems like a lot of trivial stuff. Even much less than the swim coach's wrongs. If you want a catalogue of Majerus' bad deeds, I refer you to Monson's long Tribune article a couple of days before Majerus quit. Even the infamous statement to Allred refering to his disability had an ironic element and (except as interpreted by a total wuss) was obviously intended to mean that Majerus knew the kid was laboring with a disadvantage that was unique to him on the team, but still Majerus had the highest regard and expecations for him.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Kind of interesting actually. I spoke to a player who was at the end of Majerus's career at the U and was prodding him for some good 'Majerus Stories'. He was pretty open, and yes it was clear that things were quite rough playing for him, but he kept saying, "Most of the really bad stories happened before I got there... he had mellowed a lot when I was there from what I understand." I've tried to reconcile that with thing like Marc Jackson and Lance Allred. That was his take on things though. I should also note that he is one of the players who recognized that time as one of the hardest in his life, but also most rewarding and had deep respect for Big Rick. I should also note that some of these conversations happened before Rick passed away, so I wouldn't dismiss them as 'not speaking ill of the dead' sort of things.

Now a mellowed Majerus sounded anything but mellow to me. The truth is, I think there are certain kids who could take his fire and make it into something good, and others who would wilt under the pressure and who could fault them. I think Marc Jackson might have been one of these kids. I do think the pool of kids who could thrive under a guy like Majerus was shrinking quickly.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 03-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.

I'm a little surprised there is no mention of Luther "Ticky" Burden in this conversation. He averaged close to 30 points per game, and this was long before the 3 point arc. He played the game 30 feet from the hoop and filled it up every night.

In 1975, his junior year, he averaged 28.7 points per game and set the Western Athletic Conference record for field goals in a season with 359.
    He played only 3 years before departing to play pro ball, yet he is 5th in all time scoring for the U. I can't help but wonder what he may have done in 4 years, not to mention the number of points with 3 pointers in play.

His nickname is "Ticky" for the sound of nothing but net. Whenever the game was on the line, Ticky was absolute money. He was the go-to guy. I wish all of you could have seen him play in person as I did.

burden.jpg
    Last edited by San Diego Ute Fan; 03-19-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Ticky played before the tree point shot. He'd have averaged 40 ppg. (I think he was over 30 his last season.) I love that guy, with the red tassles on his shoes and how he'd spin the ball.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I'm a little surprised there is no mention of Luther "Ticky" Burden in this conversation. He averaged close to 30 points a game, and this was long before the 3 point arc. He played the game 30 feet from the hoop and filled it up every night.

He played only 3 years before departing to play pro ball, yet he is 5th in all time scoring for the U. I can't help but wonder what he may have done in 4 years, not to mention the number of points with 3 pointers in play.

His nickname is "Ticky" for the sound of nothing but net. Whenever the game was on the line, Ticky was absolute money. He was the go-to guy. I wish all of you could have seen him play in person as I did.

burden.jpg
    People forget about Ticky when buying into the Jimmermania.

*edit* Holy shit. Look at his arms. That guy is ripped!

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    And it was before steroids.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    People forget about Ticky when buying into the Jimmermania.

Ticky was jimmer with a 41" vertical jump. he was sick!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    And it was before steroids.
    They had steroids in the 70s...
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Ticky was jimmer with a 41" vertical jump. he was sick!
    He averaged 30 ppg in the ABA till his knee gave out. EDIT: I was wrong, he quit after fighting with the Coach, Bill Musselman, who was a nut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burden
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Ticky played before the tree point shot. He'd have averaged 40 ppg. (I think he was over 30 his last season.) I love that guy, with the red tassles on his shoes and how he'd spin the ball.
    Absolutely agree. He could create space on his own. He had the prettiest jump shot and most graceful ball spin I've ever seen. Anywhere.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    They had steroids in the 70s...
    Only communist athletes took them. That's what my dad told me.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Only communist athletes took them. That's what my dad told me.
    SU, whether or not your Dad truly believed this, that comment struck me as one of the funniest things you've ever posted. Please continue with these kind of posts. It shows a side of you that rocks.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

My younger brother finished the '90-'91 season shooting 100% from the 3-point line. Granted, he only had one attempt (against Wichita State, I think)
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    My younger brother finished the '90-'91 season shooting 100% from the 3-point line. Granted, he only had one attempt (against Wichita State, I think)
    Wow, I still remember off the top of my head that the score of that game was 95-48 because I really wanted the U to double up the score and was wildly disappointed that they fell short.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is an abundance of Jimmer talk in this thread. SU I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "Speaks volumes" or "Sorry, just being honest!" can I get a ruling?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    There is an abundance of Jimmer talk in this thread. SU I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "Speaks volumes" or "Sorry, just being honest!" can I get a ruling?

How much of it is coming from Y fans vs. U fans?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    How much of it is coming from Y fans vs. U fans?
    Looks like that former BYU player was only brought up as an example of how hype sometimes overshadows real accomplishment.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    I'm a little surprised there is no mention of Luther "Ticky" Burden in this conversation. He averaged close to 30 points per game, and this was long before the 3 point arc. He played the game 30 feet from the hoop and filled it up every night.
    The game that was played in the 1970s isn't anything close to the game played since 1987. Not only was there no 3-point line, there was no shot clock either. That's not a knock against Ticky, who would be a fabulous player in any era. But for a statistical comparison's sake, it's unfair to take athletes from different eras and judge them against one another.

In starting this thread, Pat said he was only going from the begininning of the 3-point era. But I'd hate to forget a couple of deadly shooters I remember from the before the 3-point line from the mid 1980s -- Manny Hendrix and Kelvin Upshaw. Both had range and could have been deadly the 3-point line had existed in college at the time.

Bibbins clocks a 45-46-85 season. Not Johnnie Bryant-like, but right up there with the greats and the greatest shooting numbers since I posted this thread five years ago. Brandon Taylor as a junior clocked a near-identical 45-44-86, but had every advantage JB didn't -- he'd been in the program for two years, he wasn't moving up in competition like Bibbins was, he played more minutes and took much fewer shots. Taylor also regressed to 40-34-82 as a senior -- one of the greatest shooting falloffs I can ever recall in an upperclassman.

This was a great old thread to read through.

Sedrick Barefield was on fire tonight! He deserves his spot on the all-time assassin team after this!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Sedrick Barefield was on fire tonight! He deserves his spot on the all-time assassin team after this!
    Jimmy Carroll once went 6-for-6 from 3 in a half against Fresno State. Should we put him on there as well?

FWIW, here are Barefield's numbers:

42-39-74 last year

39-34-87 this year

Sed is more gunslinger than he is assassin.

My over-under on Planet Sed's PPG next year is 17.5, and he's certainly capable of hitting the over during the non-con. We'll probably need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Jimmy Carroll once went 6-for-6 from 3 in a half against Fresno State. Should we put him on there as well?

FWIW, here are Barefield's numbers:

42-39-74 last year

39-34-87 this year

Sed is more gunslinger than he is assassin.

My over-under on Planet Sed's PPG next year is 17.5, and he's certainly capable of hitting the over during the non-con. We'll probably need it.
    I was thinking last night that perhaps the best thing that could come out of this NIT run is it (further?) establishes Sed as the alpha dog on next year's team. I think he's had a tendency to coast at times but having him go into the off-season and next season with the mentality that it is his team and he's going to be the one to get a bucket or get himself to the line when things are tight I think that would be a big deal. Obviously that sort of mentality has to be tempered with smart shot selection but I think he would be well-served to get away from any mindset where he's going to passively wait for the seniors to get theirs first.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I was thinking last night that perhaps the best thing that could come out of this NIT run is it (further?) establishes Sed as the alpha dog on next year's team. I think he's had a tendency to coast at times but having him go into the off-season and next season with the mentality that it is his team and he's going to be the one to get a bucket or get himself to the line when things are tight I think that would be a big deal. Obviously that sort of mentality has to be tempered with smart shot selection but I think he would be well-served to get away from any mindset where he's going to passively wait for the seniors to get theirs first.
    I thought the knock on Sed was his inconsistency. Do you tthink he can overcome that?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I thought the knock on Sed was his inconsistency. Do you tthink he can overcome that?
    I think it's part of who he is. That's why I'll take the under on Pat's 17.5.

BUT, at this time last season, I thought Rawson would never have an impact in a meaningful game.

Next season will be interesting. Lots of new faces. It's impossible to set any kind of expectation right now.

The title of this thread jars me each time. I keep reading it as, "My All Time Pure Asian Team". If its that, I nominate Ma Jian.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    That's my hope. If Sed can become 2/3 of the bulldog Bibbins is this year, he'll have a helluva year. I think/hope Sed is a late bloomer, from a mental toughness standpoint. Bibbins has had to fight for everything he's ever accomplished in basketball, probably going back to the 5th grade. I hope Sedrick watches tons and TONS of film of this year's team, focusing on all the techniques, tricks and the general mental approach to the game Justin Bibbins brought. J-Bib might be the best gift the coaching staff could have given Barefield...if he takes the offer.

At 6-2, it's an uphill climb to being an All-PAC12 guard next year, for Barefield, especially having to deal with length and athleticism - like Mattise Thybulle at UW - present on every other roster in the league.

But the guy before him was 6 inches shorter, so there's no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    The title of this thread jars me each time. I keep reading it as, "My All Time Pure Asian Team". If its that, I nominate Ma Jian.
    Wat Misaka
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

He'll always be prone to inconsistency, but I think he can get to a point where on an "off night" he can still get himself to the line and manufacture enough points to get 12-15 on those nights whereas this year he was liable to barely score if his three pointers weren't falling.