Thread: Utah High School Basketball

Utah High School Basketball

6A Champion is LP

5A Champion is Olympus

4A Champion is Salem Hills

Did anyone catch any of the Olympus games? I saw a few during the season and the semi and championship game. No question, Rylan Jones is the real deal. I didn't realize he was THAT good, but often looked like a man playing among boys. Also wondering if there's any interest in sharp-shooter Jeremy DowDell.

Anyway, having been away from the state for several decades, I'm wondering how this Olympus team stacks up to other great Utah HS teams? Top 20? Top 10? Top 5? Top 3? Came away very, very impressed with both Utah recruit Rylan Jones and this team in general. An overwhelmingly dominant year.
    Last edited by mUUser; 03-04-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Anyway, having been away from the state for several decades, I'm wondering how this Olympus team stacks up to other great Utah HS teams? Top 20? Top 10? Top 5? Top 3? Came away very, very impressed with both Utah recruit Rylan Jones and this team in general. An overwhelmingly dominant year.
    I don't know for sure, but Ty Corbin's kid beating Kyle Collinsworth for a West High state championship is #1. Closest thing to Hoosiers that Utah has ever produced.

6A Champion is LP

5A Champion is Olympus

Did anyone catch any of the Olympus games? I saw a few during the season and the semi and championship game. No question, Rylan Jones is the real deal. I didn't realize he was THAT good, but often looked like a man playing among boys. Also wondering if there's any interest in sharp-shooter Jeremy DowDell.

I watched the first half of the Olympus game, after I saw a Kragthorpe tweet saying Rylan Jones was about to be on tv. I thought he looked really, really good. A true floor general who got to the rim with ease. The color commentator (ever heard his name) said this Olympus team ranked with the Mika LP teams as the best in state history--at least the best single year. Said the way the dominated the competition, there statistical efficiency and statistical rankings. Said he wasn't saying Oly would beat LP, just that the quality of their season was right there. FWIW

6A Champion is LP

5A Champion is Olympus

2011 Highland state champions would kick their ass.

I went to two of the Oly games last week and watched the other on TV. Jones is fantastic. He controlled those games and the offense ran through him incredibly well. He's not a fantastic athlete, but he's plenty athletic to guard the point at the highest levels of CBB. And while he's a facilitator first and foremost, he's a definite threat to score with a great shot and tight handle. He might not be someone who scores a bunch at the rim off the dribble, but I could see him being someone who can hit the open 3 or get past a defender to create his own mid-range shot or create opportunities for teammates through his penetration. He did a ton of that for Olympus, which always had 4 or 5 guys on the court who could knock down a 3.

As for how Olympus would compare against other great HS teams, I think they could compete but they would have a hard time against a team with athletic big mean, because Olympus doesn't have much height.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    2011 Highland state champions would kick their ass.

No doubt they could do it 1 on 5, if Lew Evans was the 1.