Thread: College Rugby

College Rugby

Looks like the new "Super-League" for Collegiate 15's has a championship bracket set with the following seeding (1-8): BYU, Cal, Dartmouth, Utah, Air Force, Navy, Notre Dame and UCLA. If Utah gets past AF (played at UCLA's pitch) it sets up a semifinal with BYU, with BYU hosting. The championship is to be held at "South Field" at BYU. I have gone to the past couple of National Championships played at Rio Tinto Stadium, and wish that they were hosting the games there, but oh well.

I haven't kept up on the Utes this past year very closely. I am skeptical that they can get past the semis on April 27.

http://rugbymag.com/men%27s-di-colle...announced.html

I attended my first rugby match this weekend down in St. George. BYU was playing Old Puget Sound Beach, who I had never heard of, and since I mainly just watch BYU's rugby scores, I was surprised at how close the match was. I guess OPSB is a pretty good team, and they ended up beating the Cougars.

I liked watching the match. I think I figured out most of the rules as the game went on, and I'd like to see more. It's certainly better than soccer.

I've been trying to find a 2013 schedule for the utes but have failed.

I've heard they've had some issues and won't be playing this season under the UofU name?
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    I've been trying to find a 2013 schedule for the utes but have failed.

I've heard they've had some issues and won't be playing this season under the UofU name?
    I was under that impression as well. Some sort of alcohol related violation is what I understood. I thought I heard they were going to appeal and maybe they did with success. AF is always tough and fit and will fight the until the last whistle. It will be a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I attended my first rugby match this weekend down in St. George. BYU was playing Old Puget Sound Beach, who I had never heard of, and since I mainly just watch BYU's rugby scores, I was surprised at how close the match was. I guess OPSB is a pretty good team, and they ended up beating the Cougars.

I liked watching the match. I think I figured out most of the rules as the game went on, and I'd like to see more. It's certainly better than soccer.
    I started watching it a few years ago as a sport to get me through the off season and i've been hooked. Not sure what i'm going to do this off season without the U fielding a team.

The last couple of years the matches with the U/BYU at Rio Tinto have been great time.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

I started watching it a few years ago as a sport to get me through the off season and i've been hooked. Not sure what i'm going to do this off season without the U fielding a team.

The last couple of years the matches with the U/BYU at Rio Tinto have been great time.
    They will be fielding a team this year, as far as I know. I don't know what name they are playing under, if it is indeed a new one. I spoke with a former head coach who is now coaching a local high school and he said practices are in full swing. They do have a new coach this year, who is a long-time assistant from Highland. We'll see how that goes.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

If you find a schedule please share it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    ~Bob Marley

If you find a schedule please share it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Will do. I should see one of the coaches sometime this week.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    They will be fielding a team this year, as far as I know. I don't know what name they are playing under, if it is indeed a new one. I spoke with a former head coach who is now coaching a local high school and he said practices are in full swing. They do have a new coach this year, who is a long-time assistant from Highland. We'll see how that goes.
    Mark?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For Hostile or execUTEioner, what is the begging age for the youth rugby leagues here in SLC?
    ~Bob Marley

For Hostile or execUTEioner, what is the begging age for the youth rugby leagues here in SLC?
    Utah youth rugby has summer camps for kids as young as 5 IIRC.
    As far as competitive rugby youth with teams etc, It looks like in the fall they had a season for U10-U16.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...y&newsID=17280

I found that site, but had some questions. I emailed the POC and will wait for a response. I want to get my son going in the summer program, he just turned 5. I'd also like to get my daughter involved, but not sure if there is a girls program.
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by execUTEioner View Post
    Mark?

Numbers? If so, yes.

I found that site, but had some questions. I emailed the POC and will wait for a response. I want to get my son going in the summer program, he just turned 5. I'd also like to get my daughter involved, but not sure if there is a girls program.
    My son tried that a couple years ago, when he was 10. The only problem was that there were few kids from our area participating, so he was assigned to a team from Draper. Getting to practices/games was difficult, but he really enjoyed it. I have a nephew who lives in South Jordan who also participates. There are enough kids from his area to field a couple teams so it is easier logistically. I'm sure they would love to have your daughter participate. If I recall there were a couple girls on the team when my son played.

This year he is in 6th grade and is playing with the 7th/8th graders who will be going to Highland. So far so good. He'll need to learn some quickness because he doesn't have size at this point.

So how do they divide up the teams? Highschool districts like they do in football? City leagues?
    ~Bob Marley

Not trying to promote BYU rugby but they are playing the mens super league champions in Provo this Saturday. Should be an interesting match,the college champions versus the mens champions. The game is being webcast live via KSL.

Also the east coast portion of the Varsity Cup that is being played in Annapolis will feature Navy,Dartmouth,Notre Dame and Cal. I will be heading up to Maryland for the chance to see some good college rugby on April 20th. West coast same date.

The west coast Varsity Cup will feature Utah, Air Force, BYU and host team UCLA. The finals are being held in Provo.

Edit, 3-16-13 BYU at Utah played in Murray not shown on web.
    4-5-13 Utah at BYU 7pm game shown on webcast. I bet they sell out(5,000)
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 03-03-2013 at 10:28 PM.