Thread: New NFL helmet rule

New NFL helmet rule

I like it. The NFL needs to protect it's business or it will be gone soon. If the defenders can't lead with the crown of their heads, why should the offensive players be allowed to?

http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-passes-hel...1153--nfl.html

As a card carrying defensive football snob, this was my biggest complaint with penalties for the defender leading with his head on a tackle. The runner can lower his head and charge blindly into the fray, without regard to his own safety or fear of penalty.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Mike Ditka commented on this and said that if the NFL really wants to get any and all players to not lead with their head, the way to do it is to remove face masks. I think he's right. If they went back to leather helmets with no masks, it would be more of a deterrent to stop leading with the head.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    Mike Ditka commented on this and said that if the NFL really wants to get any and all players to not lead with their head, the way to do it is to remove face masks. I think he's right. If they went back to leather helmets with no masks, it would be more of a deterrent to stop leading with the head.
    That would make for a very bloody game. I'm sure the players would rather risk long-term injury over having to have oral surgeons in the clubhouse.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    That would make for a very bloody game. I'm sure the players would rather risk long-term injury over having to have oral surgeons in the clubhouse.
    Perhaps, but according to my wife's grandpa who played at USU in the 30s, the players led more with their shoulders so as to avoid head/face damage. Only a few of the craziest players would knock heads.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith