Thread: AMA Utebehindenemylines ask me anything!

AMA Utebehindenemylines ask me anything!

Here's my introduction:

How did you get your moniker?
    Like ex'dute, I don't really care for my boardname anymore. I wish I could start new, but then I'd have to do that whole build rapport and make friends thing that I'm not very good at. I used the name when I joined uf.n back in 08, at the time I was a newlywed, living in Orem, working in South Jordan and commuting to the U while my wife attended UVU. I have since gotten out of the black cloud of misery (I'm speaking of Orem, not marriage), those were some awful years.

Where are you from? What do you do?

I was born and raised in Ogden, and after moving away for a mission, living in SL and Orem, I am back in Ogden. Funny how that works. I work in procurement and contracts going on 4 years for the DoD.

What are your sports loyalties?

U-T-E-S
    I am a pretty avid NFL fan, 49ers. Who's got it better than we do (except maybe the Ravens)?
    I used to play baseball growing up but interest for the sport has really wained, as has my interest in basketball.
    I really enjoy fitness and weightlifting even though they are not team sports. I enjoy the challenge of competing against myself to set new personal records.

Why are you a Ute fan?

I was raised a BYU fan. I started attending Utah games when I was a student at the U, and fell in love and have never looked back. I am virtually surrounding by BYU fans in my family but Utah is the place for me.

Are you religiously affiliated, and if so, what is your current standing? What about politics?

I am LDS. Currently I am serving as the Assistant Deacons quorom advisor. I don't mind the boys teaching monthly, but despise Scouts and the Scouting program in general. I had bad experiences with the Scouts as a youth (not those kind) and was virtually forced to attend scouts against my will. I have very little interest in the outdoors or camping or any of that, so asking me to spend my time off in an environment I am not comfortable with and asking me to be liable for the safety of various youth is absolutely absurd. Also, I don't agree with the Scouts current stand on homosexuals. I guess that's a topic for another time though.

I am political but don't necessarily associate myself with a party. Although, if I had to declare, I'm probably more liberal than I am conservative.

Any other questions, ask away.

Welcome. Since we may ask you anything, what's the airspeed velocity of a swallow?
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Welcome. Since we may ask you anything, what's the airspeed velocity of a swallow?
    1.21 Jigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by utebehindenemylines View Post
    1.21 Jigawatts
    The correct answer is: "African or European?"
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

It's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow. Try to get it right, wuap.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

1.21 Jigawatts
    You are correct, sir, even though your answer was about as funny as a screen door on a battleship. We shall be great friends!

And, LA Ute, I just won $20.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

What is the meaning of life?
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

How large is the universe?

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Does your wife share your loyalties or are you a split family?
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Does your wife share your loyalties or are you a split family?
    She is definitely a Ute. Growing up with a Japanese dad and a house full of girls, she's fairly apathetic about sports, but she cheers for Utah and doesn't care much for TDS.

She is definitely a Ute. Growing up with a Japanese dad and a house full of girls, she's fairly apathetic about sports, but she cheers for Utah and doesn't care much for TDS.

I can relate. With the exception of our children's sport endeavors, Mrs. JIC is fairly indifferent as well.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I can relate. With the exception of our children's sport endeavors, Mrs. JIC is fairly indifferent as well.
    LOL! My wife has been ostensibly "trying to understand football" for the past 11 years, bless her heart.

Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    Last weekend I was at a relative's house out of town. I arrived as the Billikens were starting the second half of their tournament game against VCU. I asked, "So, do you have basketball on your TV today? They gave me a blank stare. They told me they don't have cable, just an antenna, and they don't watch sports. I told them it was on CBS so I though we could get reception. The only TV in the house with the antenna was in their bedroom. So, by the end of the game it was me, my cousin, her husband reading his nook and four kids on the bed watching college hoops. Interesting day.
    If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. -Maxwell Maltz

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    LOL! My wife has been ostensibly "trying to understand football" for the past 11 years, bless her heart.
    I have been an avid football fan since I was 13. I am still trying to understand everything.

Are you my LDS counterpart?

I too played several sports growing up, but really only took baseball seriously. And I too have very little interest in that sport anymore, nor do I care for basketball unless it's the Utes playing. I also LOATHE camping, and outdoor activities, and am also anti-Scouts mainly due to their stance on homosexuals (I too was a scout for a period as a child). As you know I am/was also a lifelong 49ers fan, although I have lost a ton of interest in the NFL in recent years, and pretty much relinquished my fanhood once Alex left SF (I know, I suck, but that killed any remaining shits I gave about the league). I've always considered myself right of center, but have been pulled further left as I've gotten older. I hate both major political parties equally though.

Next time you make it to Phoenix I'll buy you a beer, and if you don't drink I'll still buy you one and help you finish it.
    Last edited by 480ute; 03-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Do you love working with the mouth breather in the cubical next to you?

I also hated scouts growing up, I love the outdoors but hated being the only Catholic in the group. The Utah Mafia has too much involvement in the scouting program in this state that I chose to stop attending.
    Last edited by big z; 03-22-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    Do you love working with the mouth breather in the cubical next to you?

I also hated scouts growing up, I love the outdoors but hated being the only Catholic in the group. The Utah Mafia has too much involvement in the scouting program in this state that I chose to stop attending.
    Scouting can be pretty good here in CA. LDS troops are not dominant and if the leaders have the right idea (e.g., Scouting is not a paramilitary organization!) it can be great. It really helps the inner-city and recent immigrant kids.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Good job Wally. My wife is still glad about making me leave with two minutes left in the Fresno State game in the late 90s, where the Utes scored three times in the last 90 seconds to come from behind to win. The game was over before we turned onto Foothill...

Welcome behindenemylines, I hope you find this place to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by 480ute View Post
    Are you my LDS counterpart?

I too played several sports growing up, but really only took baseball seriously. And I too have very little interest in that sport anymore, nor do I care for basketball unless it's the Utes playing. I also LOATHE camping, and outdoor activities, and am also anti-Scouts mainly due to their stance on homosexuals (I too was a scout for a period as a child). As you know I am/was also a lifelong 49ers fan, although I have lost a ton of interest in the NFL in recent years, and pretty much relinquished my fanhood once Alex left SF (I know, I suck, but that killed any remaining shits I gave about the league). I've always considered myself right of center, but have been pulled further left as I've gotten older. I hate both major political parties equally though.

Next time you make it to Phoenix I'll buy you a beer, and if you don't drink I'll still buy you one and help you finish it.
    Not sure why I didn't see this before. It appears I may have found my ute soulmate. My 9er fandom is at an all-time high, speaking of which, the crew may be making another trip to Glendale this year for the game. We've done 2 trips, SF and Phoenix, and we all enjoyed Phoenix the most. Also, we both own pugs, and like southpark.