Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never again will I choose the Lobos on my bracket

Never again will I choose the Lobos on my bracket

If you want to see a dumpster fire, read the threads on lobolair

http://thelobolair.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5&
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Here's a tip. ALWAYS pick against the MWC. It's horribly overrated.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post966123

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post966119
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Just like Dave Winfield was Mr. May in George Steinbrenner's eyes, the MWC is Mr. December in college hoops. I'm through defending that league until it does something in the tournament.

(As soon as I say that, watch Colorado State beat Louisville and destroy half the brackets in the country.)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Just like Dave Winfield was Mr. May in George Steinbrenner's eyes, the MWC is Mr. December in college hoops. I'm through defending that league until it does something in the tournament.

(As soon as I say that, watch Colorado State beat Louisville and destroy half the brackets in the country.)
    I fell into the trap of saying the MWC deserved respect this year. I will never listen to another complaint from the MWC about not getting respect until they prove something. Look at the Pac-12 this year. They got no respect. The 2nd place team in the league and the conference tournament champ got a 12 seed. It was a huge slight. The Ducks proved they got screwed by going out and dominating a 5 seed. Cal's seed was also a joke and they went out and proved it. I suspect that Arizona will prove that they deserved more than a 6 seed.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    I fell into the trap of saying the MWC deserved respect this year. I will never listen to another complaint from the MWC about not getting respect until they prove something. Look at the Pac-12 this year. They got no respect. The 2nd place team in the league and the conference tournament champ got a 12 seed. It was a huge slight. The Ducks proved they got screwed by going out and dominating a 5 seed. Cal's seed was also a joke and they went out and proved it. I suspect that Arizona will prove that they deserved more than a 6 seed.
    I'm interested to see what UCLA does today. They've been the popular upset pick vs. Minnesota...but I bet they come ready to play. And I think the Buffs can beat Illinois as well. 5-0 in the first round would be nice.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know if beating Belmont and then Harvard proves anything. Arizona had some great wins...in 2012. They finished 2-6 in the conference against tournament opposition (with one of those wins on a bad call vs CU). I think a 6 seed was appropriate.

In general, outperforming your seeding doesn't necessarily mean the committee got it wrong.

With Oregon, though, the committee got it wrong, and everyone knew it even before the "upset" yesterday.
    Arizona will destroy Harvard. They've got too much size inside and Harvard's M.O. to beat UNM was too simple. I can't believe UNM allowed Harvard to do whatever it wanted offensively. While Arizona does a bad job at defending the 3, which is Harvard's strength, I think for one game with little time in between, that Sean Miller can devise an effective gameplan to limit Harvard's looks from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm interested to see what UCLA does today. They've been the popular upset pick vs. Minnesota...but I bet they come ready to play. And I think the Buffs can beat Illinois as well. 5-0 in the first round would be nice.
    On the flip side, I've seen few people on the Illinois bandwagon. It would be so Pac-12 to go 1-1 today, with UCLA winning and CU losing.

Biggest concern with UCLA is they are playing a Tubby Smith team. Smith is a fantastic coach and I would always be concerned about his ability to gameplan his team to a win.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I think you are going to see more than Arizona beating Harvard. I think they are an elite 8 and potential final 4 team.
    --fjm.com

I don't know if beating Belmont and then Harvard proves anything. Arizona had some great wins...in 2012. They finished 2-6 in the conference against tournament opposition (with one of those wins on a bad call vs CU). I think a 6 seed was appropriate.

In general, outperforming your seeding doesn't necessarily mean the committee got it wrong.

With Oregon, though, the committee got it wrong, and everyone knew it even before the "upset" yesterday.
    Yeah Oregon was not seeded correctly. The committee had an issue with both Cal and Oregon I believe on the S curve they were both 11 seeds but because UCLA and Arizona were 6 seeds they had to bump them down to avoid a Pac 12 match-up in the first round. Oregon and Cal both have 5 seeds now so you could make the argument that their seeding is working out well for them. I think their seed is much better than being an 8 or a 9. I guess you could argue that they should have been a 10 seeds and I would not argue it too much.
    Last edited by Flystripper; 03-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.

I know there are differing opinions on this, but I am cheering for all the PAC-12 teams to win in the tournament, and enjoying their successes. There's something different about that in the PAC-12, for me at least. I like it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I don't see how UCLA wins without their starting PG. That's not a replaceable position.
    Ugh, I forgot about that when I was doing brackets. I'm hosed

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I know there are differing opinions on this, but I am cheering for all the PAC-12 teams to win in the tournament, and enjoying their successes. There's something different about that in the PAC-12, for me at least. I like it.
    Totally agree.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It depends on which UCLA team shows up. Losing Adams really hurt though.

I am with you on this. I'm finding myself rooting for all of the P12 teams.

I guess the honeymoon isn't quite over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I am with you on this. I'm finding myself rooting for all of the P12 teams.

I guess the honeymoon isn't quite over yet.
    I was conflicted with Oregon-OSU. The opposite side of my bracket ... err ... family is doused in orange and black. But I also knew that Oregon was the better coached team and highly underrated in seeding. My MIL deserves massive props for observing this on Selection Sunday.

I'm not into the whole Pac-12 Brotherhood thing just yet. I wanted UNLV to beat Cal.

Was glad to see Arizona beat Belmont, although the talking heads and squares sure were on the Belmont bandwagon.

Evidence I'm Buying Into the Pac-12 Brotherhood: I want UCLA to destroy Minnesota and CU likewise against Illinois. If you ever catch me rooting for a Big 10 team against a Pac-12 team, go ahead and revoke my Ute Fan Card right there.

They are all in "rootable" matchups. If Arizona were playing a normal 14 seed, I would surely be pulling for the upset. But who cares about snooty Harvard? Oklahoma State? Illinois? UNLV? Minnesota? Belmont is the only first round Pac-12 opponent that you could really cheer for as a Cinderella. I will be pulling for St Louis over Oregon, partly for Majerus, partly for mid-major fun, and partly because I hate the way Dana Altman looked when Oregon beat us.
    I admit. I will be conflicted with the SLU/Oregon matchup. I can totally see myself leaning towards SLU.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I admit. I will be conflicted with the SLU/Oregon matchup. I can totally see myself leaning towards SLU.
    My own PAC-12 love will wane as teams get deeper into their brackets. I mainly want to avoid embarrassments for the conference.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    and partly because I hate the way Dana Altman looked when Oregon beat us.
    I missed something I guess, was there something offensive done here?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Yep. Kansas-born and bred Dana Altman got up in our shizz and went all Disco Ritchie McKay on us.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Yeah, just look at this. What a jerk!

ncb_a_altman_400.jpg

In your honor, HFS, I will be cheering for the Quackers. I know you'll do the same when our positions are reversed, if both of us are still alive at that point.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    What do you mean? It has gotten more respect than it deserved. The MWC's seeds have been ridiculously inflated and it's gotten more invitations than it deserves now for at least two years. You'd think from the seeding the MWC is a lot better conference than the Pac 12. I'm sure there's a conspiracy.

EDIT: Two years in a row now a low seeded Pac 12 team has handled a grossly overseeded UNLV.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-22-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

I think Eustachy just freakishly understood a Big 12 team after all those seasons there. CSU is going to get dismembered by Louisville. It's going to be messy.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I normally cheer against the Ducks, but not in this tournament. However, Oregon vs. St. Louis is killing me. I've adopted St. Louis for this tournament and have them losing to G'town in the title game. Oh well, whatever happens in that St. Louis-Oregon game will be bittersweet.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

http://newmexico.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1486756

Dennis Latta
    Loboland.com Editor

I was wrong
    I was wrong
    I was wrong
    I was wrong
    I was wrong.

But I won't be wrong again. It was a lot easier to take when expectations were lower. Losing was acceptable because UNM had almost always lost when it really counted. You didn't have visions of greatness, only to have them dashed. After the pitiful performance UNM put up against a team that doesn't even offer scholarships, I've given up. Having all five starters back next season means nothing on a team that can just disappear like that. I'd be back to wondering when it would collapse, have a terrible game and lose to an inferior team again.

No, I've had it. I've been to my last Lobo basketball game after covering the team for much of the last 33 years.

Good-bye Lobo basketball.

I'm glad that guy isn't anything related to Utah.

You don't just give up on your team after 33 years

Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    I'm glad that guy isn't anything related to Utah.

You don't just give up on your team after 33 years
    The two best teams in Lobo history choked in the first round. The other one was Norm Ellenberger's team in 1978 with Michael Cooper and Marvin Johnson (finished 15-1 in the WAC ahead of Vranes/Judkins/Chamber Matheney Utes at 14-2) that lost to Fresno State.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The two best teams in Lobo history choked in the first round. The other one was Norm Ellenberger's team in 1978 with Michael Cooper and Marvin Johnson that lost to Fresno State.
    I know that NM sucks in the tourney, but to completely turn your back on them after 33 years? That is zoob of the first degree

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SavaUte View Post
    I know that NM sucks in the tourney, but to completely turn your back on them after 33 years? That is zoob of the first degree
    :eyeroll: