Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m hearing a broadcast right now on KSL radio, where Scott Mitchell is one of the cohosts. Apparently he does this a couple of nights a week. Is this new? Can the color guy for Utah football be a regular on a KSL sports show?
    He was doing the ksl stuff before ESPN700

And yeah, Dolce did TV and radio appearances the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He was doing the ksl stuff before ESPN700

And yeah, Dolce did TV and radio appearances the last couple of years.

I had no idea. Shows you what a guy like me misses by not living in Utah and never listening to KSL radio.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I was hoping that Mitchell would be on 700 more during the week with bill. I really like Mitchell’s perspective.

I've had to listen to more games this year than ever before, and I normally enjoy Bill, Scott and Tom. But Saturday's game was not one of the group's finest moments. Bill had to correct himself so many times in the booth, I thought the least he could do was pay homage to Bill Marcroft and say "Check it," before each of his corrections. Their analysis of the targeting call and passing on a 60-yard FG before halftime was right up Fanboy Alley. Mitchell has gotten better at describing coverages, especially when Utah is on defense, but still sounds cliched in spots. Hackett had one great bit of insight on ASU's missed FG, but needs to get better about conveying Really Important Information from the sidelines more concisely and descriptively.

Circumstances forced me to listen to most of Saturday's game before suffering through the recording later. I agree on the initial targeting call--they made it sound like the most egregious call of all time. Now, in my biased opinion I think when a defender is visibly trying to let up (as our guy appeared to be) he shouldn't be punished. But that is how they've been calling it and based on the rule and the general interpretation that wasn't that bad of a call.

I was getting frustrated because when Utah was on defense Bill would rarely say which Utah player made a tackle unless it was a TFL or big stop. At times I had to wonder whether Chase Hansen was even playing because I never heard who made the tackle on most running plays.

Bill and Scott are still working on their chemistry, as is the production team. There was a moment in saturday's game where Bill took it to break, but then you could still hear their conversation for a good 5-6 seconds before the commercials kicked on. I have noticed a few wrubellian moments from them where they will be beside themselves over a call.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Bill and Scott are still working on their chemistry, as is the production team. There was a moment in saturday's game where Bill took it to break, but then you could still hear their conversation for a good 5-6 seconds before the commercials kicked on. I have noticed a few wrubellian moments from them where they will be beside themselves over a call.
    "Wrubellian" - lol classic

hmmmm ... Spence Checkets coming back to ESPN 700

https://twitter.com/espn700bill/stat...40482832871424

Spence is actually very good IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    hmmmm ... Spence Checkets coming back to ESPN 700

https://twitter.com/espn700bill/stat...40482832871424

Spence is actually very good IMO
    I might actually listen now. I like listening to a conversation/discussion and not a monologue. Glad that Bill is giving Spence a fourth, fifth...? second chance.

Spence just launched a new podcast. I think its just a call in interview/promo and bill is doing a throwback for old times sake.

So Gunther and Ben are toast?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So Gunther and Ben are toast?
    Still around, im guessing until next year when their contracts are up. Spence might become a once a week segment with Bill, but hes not coming on full time right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Still around, im guessing until next year when their contracts are up. Spence might become a once a week segment with Bill, but hes not coming on full time right now.
    That makes more sense given the circumstances.