Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Hybrid View

Stanford didn't bring Bryce Love to Pac-12 media days, citing summer coursework as the reason.

The media whined for a day about not getting to interview the pac-12's best player. Dennis Dodd called it a "dangerous" precedent. Stanford made Love available to via a Skype interview...in which nothing of note was said. Thank goodness we were finally able to hear the best athlete in the conference offer canned responses to tired questions.

Dolce was on with Bill Riley today.

Said he was disappointed with the decision by the University to remove him from the broadcast booth, still doesn't know why?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Dolce was on with Bill Riley today.

Said he was disappointed with the decision by the University to remove him from the broadcast booth, still doesn't know why?

Is the party line that the U made the decision, not espn 700?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is the party line that the U made the decision, not espn 700?
    I didn’t know the U had that authority but it makes sense that they would. Seems odd that Riley would not know why Dolce was dumped.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I didn’t know the U had that authority but it makes sense that they would. Seems odd that Riley would not know why Dolce was dumped.
    listened to it again this morning and Dolce keeps referencing the department made the decision? I assume that's the athletic department? "said they wanted to go in a different direction"

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    listened to it again this morning and Dolce keeps referencing the department made the decision? I assume that's the athletic department? "said they wanted to go in a different direction"
    Athletics has always had say in that area.

People either loved or hated Dolce.

I like him as a person, I wasn’t real fond of him as the color guy, to me he was always more cheerleader than analyst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Athletics has always had say in that area.

People either loved or hated Dolce.

I like him as a person, I wasn’t real fond of him as the color guy, to me he was always more cheerleader than analyst.
    Mitchell knows a lot about football and has a lot more experience actually playing the game than Frank. I think he will be very insightful color commentator. Also, he has a calm demeanor. I can’t imagine him getting overwhelmed with excitement during a game. (I will say that Greg Wrubell’s constant 13 year-old girl screaming fits make it fun to listen to him for a minute or two once or twice a season.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Diehard,
    I completely agree with you. I really like Frank. It's always bothered me that he wasn't more insightful on the broadcasts because he's such a smart, well-spoken, good guy. I've actually tuned in a few times to radio interviews with Frank where he demonstrates that better than he ever did as the color guy. Frankly, some of the blame may go to Bill - who doesn't give his color guys enough time to talk in my opinion.