Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Sports Media (local and national)

Kragthrope is the new Utes beat writer for the Trib

Not sure how I feel about that.

The guy the Trib layed off, Lynn Worthy, was hired by the Kansas City Star today to cover the Chiefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Kragthrope is the new Utes beat writer for the Trib

Not sure how I feel about that.
    Been a long time since I read anything Kragthorpe has written.

I think old timey reporters believe their job is to break news. I don't need that in a beat reporter - the news will break either way.

A good beat reporter now is someone who will interact with fans on Twitter and write positive feature articles. Someone who is only critical when necessary and who isn't looking to constantly stir the pot.

Sancho,
    I think we'll see a little of both from Kragthorpe - feature articles and breaking news, probably in that order. I don't think we'll see much pot-stirring. It's not his style. He's been critical at times in his columns but almost apologetically. I hated seeing Lynn Worthy go but Kragthorpe will do a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I don't think we'll see much pot-stirring. It's not his style.
    Thanks. That's good to hear. No pot-stirring is probably #1 on my wish list. I certainly don't mind critical takes when warranted.

-It appears that Frank Dolce has been replaced on the ESPN 700 football broadcast by Scott Mitchell.

-Speaking of Mitchell, he has been hired to do a nightly sports themed show on KSL radio with Alex Kirry from 7-9. That timeslot has been somewhat of a revolving door since the nightside project went off the air a couple of years ago.

-Spence Checketts announced a couple of weeks ago that 1280 has decided to not bring him back and he said he will announce soon where he is going. Id love to see a Bill and Spence reunion but I dont know.

-I thought this was interesting. http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the...atings-report/. This confirms what I figured; 1280 is dominant. My only (small) argument with the article is that I dont think this has ever been a three horse race. I have only seen real numbers here and there, but my suspicion is that 1280 has been dominating since the 1280/1320 psuedo merger in 2012. I dont think we have had a true ratings battle since before that.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    -It appears that Frank Dolce has been replaced on the ESPN 700 football broadcast by Scott Mitchell....

-I thought this was interesting. http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the...atings-report/. This confirms what I figured; 1280 is dominant.
    I’ve always liked Dolce, so I’d hate to see him go. Also, I listen only to podcasts and never to 1280. I’m a Bill Riley fan — I’m surprised that ESPN700 is trailing so badly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’ve always liked Dolce, so I’d hate to see him go. Also, I listen only to podcasts and never to 1280. I’m a Bill Riley fan — I’m surprised that ESPN700 is trailing so badly.
    Dolce is out. The U has posted the media guide for the season and it lists Mitchell as the analyst

Dolce is out. The U has posted the media guide for the season and it lists Mitchell as the analyst

So Mitchell is the guy in the booth during games now? I think he’ll be good. Dolce was kind of like a comfortable old shoe. I’ll miss him. Mitchell knows more about football.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

So Mitchell is the guy in the booth during games now? I think he’ll be good. Dolce was kind of like a comfortable old shoe. I’ll miss him. Mitchell knows more about football.
    Yup, Riley on the PxP, Mitchell as his booth partner.

Yup, Riley on the PxP, Mitchell as his booth partner.

nothing against Mitchell, but I like Dolce. I'm a little bummed by this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    nothing against Mitchell, but I like Dolce. I'm a little bummed by this decision.
    Dolce is great. My wife will even listen to games because Dolce makes her laugh. That is a too bad. He will be missed.

I'm a bit disappointed Dolce will no longer be doing the games. I liked how he was all Utah. However, I can't help but wonder if Bill Riley had something to do with it. He frequently complained about Dolce getting excited and saying something during "his call".

Quote Originally Posted by C-Monster View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed Dolce will no longer be doing the games. I liked how he was all Utah. However, I can't help but wonder if Bill Riley had something to do with it. He frequently complained about Dolce getting excited and saying something during "his call".
    Dolce never could learn that lesson. I'm sure it infuriated his broadcast partners over the years.

I'm struggling to remember who did color on the radio broadcasts with Marcroft before Dolce. It snuck up on me, but Frank must have had a 20-25 year run in the booth. Anyone remember who held that spot before Frank?

Gordon Monson and Jake Scott call Troy Williams up for an interview and try over and over again to get him to spout some negativity regarding his senior year. Like the consummate teammate and overall quality human being, Troy never takes the bait.

http://www.1280thezone.com/troy-will...-could-happen/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Gordon Monson and Jake Scott call Troy Williams up for an interview and try over and over again to get him to spout some negativity regarding his senior year. Like the consummate teammate and overall quality human being, Troy never takes the bait.

You do you, Gordon!

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'm struggling to remember who did color on the radio broadcasts with Marcroft before Dolce. It snuck up on me, but Frank must have had a 20-25 year run in the booth. Anyone remember who held that spot before Frank?
    Neal Hancey of the Alumni Association did it for many years.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-25-2018 at 06:50 AM.

--Yeats

You lost me at Gordon Monson. Hard Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    2017 was 25 years according to the media guides

I recall being over-the-top excited for Utah's first PAC-12 media day. Now its just unlistenable/unwatchable fluff.

I recall being over-the-top excited for Utah's first PAC-12 media day. Now its just unlistenable/unwatchable fluff.
    I appreciate the PAC-12 not following in the footsteps of the other P5 conferences that make exciting announcements and developments at their media day. We are content with announcements that more games with have shorter half times, dammit!

I appreciate the PAC-12 not following in the footsteps of the other P5 conferences that make exciting announcements and developments at their media day. We are content with announcements that more games with have shorter half times, dammit!
    Were there exciting announcements from the other P5 conferences' media days? The closest thing to an exciting announcement I can remember is that Auburn has joined Alabama in wanting 9 conference games.

Stanford didn't bring Bryce Love to Pac-12 media days, citing summer coursework as the reason.

The media whined for a day about not getting to interview the pac-12's best player. Dennis Dodd called it a "dangerous" precedent. Stanford made Love available to via a Skype interview...in which nothing of note was said. Thank goodness we were finally able to hear the best athlete in the conference offer canned responses to tired questions.

Dolce was on with Bill Riley today.

Said he was disappointed with the decision by the University to remove him from the broadcast booth, still doesn't know why?

Dolce was on with Bill Riley today.

Said he was disappointed with the decision by the University to remove him from the broadcast booth, still doesn't know why?

Is the party line that the U made the decision, not espn 700?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Is the party line that the U made the decision, not espn 700?
    I didn’t know the U had that authority but it makes sense that they would. Seems odd that Riley would not know why Dolce was dumped.

--Yeats

I didn’t know the U had that authority but it makes sense that they would. Seems odd that Riley would not know why Dolce was dumped.
    listened to it again this morning and Dolce keeps referencing the department made the decision? I assume that's the athletic department? "said they wanted to go in a different direction"

listened to it again this morning and Dolce keeps referencing the department made the decision? I assume that's the athletic department? "said they wanted to go in a different direction"
    Athletics has always had say in that area.

People either loved or hated Dolce.

I like him as a person, I wasn’t real fond of him as the color guy, to me he was always more cheerleader than analyst.

Athletics has always had say in that area.

People either loved or hated Dolce.

I like him as a person, I wasn’t real fond of him as the color guy, to me he was always more cheerleader than analyst.
    Mitchell knows a lot about football and has a lot more experience actually playing the game than Frank. I think he will be very insightful color commentator. Also, he has a calm demeanor. I can’t imagine him getting overwhelmed with excitement during a game. (I will say that Greg Wrubell’s constant 13 year-old girl screaming fits make it fun to listen to him for a minute or two once or twice a season.)

--Yeats

Diehard,
    I completely agree with you. I really like Frank. It's always bothered me that he wasn't more insightful on the broadcasts because he's such a smart, well-spoken, good guy. I've actually tuned in a few times to radio interviews with Frank where he demonstrates that better than he ever did as the color guy. Frankly, some of the blame may go to Bill - who doesn't give his color guys enough time to talk in my opinion.