Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Sad that the D-News can't pay $100 to some stringer in the Reno area to do the story for them.

Putting Liz's name at the top is a mistake made by some part-timer who doesn't know any better.
    I was hoping you’d chime in, you obviously know more than I do on this.

The DNews usually hires a student reporter from the opponents campus newspaper....guess since this was not at a campus they got lazy or cheap or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...50-196325.html

They’ve done it again....reprinted the U’s press release with Liz name on the byline.

And this meet was at Zona, so they had people available.

The DesNews is trash. BuzzFeed is embarrassed for them. FOX NEWS thinks they lack journalistic integrity.

SLTrib is going behind a paywall for online content.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    SLTrib is going behind a paywall for online content.
    That will kill the career commenters on SLtrib, I’m fairly certain most don’t have jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    10 free articles a month is pretty generous considering the quality of the content. You could go a whole year without seeing 10 articles worth reading.
    I read that many Ute articles in 1-2 weeks. There are often 4-5 gymnastics articles in a single week

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    There are often 4-5 gymnastics articles in a single week

I didn’t realize that Liz was writing that many press releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Its Lya, actually

The Trib still pays to cover gymnastics.....I don’t like the person they pay, but they pay.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    10 free articles a month is pretty generous considering the quality of the content. You could go a whole year without seeing 10 articles worth reading.

via GIPHY

Per an emoji tweet from Tom Hackett, and the accompanying responses, it looks like Tom may be on his way out. Not sure about Gunther.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Per an emoji tweet from Tom Hackett, and the accompanying responses, it looks like Tom may be on his way out. Not sure about Gunther.
    Nice guy, very funny, but no real broadcasting talent.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

I hope they put Gunther back with Ben Anderson. Ben plays a great straight guy to Gunther schtick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I hope they put Gunther back with Ben Anderson. Ben plays a great straight guy to Gunther schtick.

I agree
    Completely.

I figured Tom would be let go after his year was up. Like LA said, really nice guy but overmatched when it comes to trying to make a show in this market. He did ok overcoming the Donnie Tillman slip up and he handled the Troy Williams goof poorly.

If I were the powers that be at 700, I would let Kyle fly solo for a few months and then go back to syndicated programming. That, or I would pony up the money and bring in some real talent. Thats risky because of how dominating 1280 has been since the pseudo-merger with 1320 in 2012 and I am not sure who could really break that up. Paying peanuts for low talent hasn't paid off. If youre content with being second fiddle, it may be smarter to just go syndicated and let Bill be the "Utes guy" and make it that way.

I know my good friends Sully and Utah will disagree but after listening to Ben Anderson and Andy Larsen on the Salt City Hoops show, I really hope Ben doesn't go back to babysitting Kyle during the afternoons. With Andy, he is freed up to actually talk basketball and its usually a really good show with humor and solid analysis unlike anything else at 700.

I like Ben a lot. I’d prefer to have him with someone other than Gunther.

I’d take him with Gunther, just to get him back.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you could keep Ben doing both shows. I’m sure he’d like the extra money and I’d bet it would be cheaper for the station than hiring two separate people.

Didn’t know where to put this.

I listened to the Rivals guys’ podcast on 1280. Some good stuff there. McBride was on. Some great stories. Some interesting takeaways:

The QB from Utah that ended up at BYU...Wilson, I think. McBride said he asked his parents where he wanted to live after football. They said Utah. So he told them he’d be crazy to leave the state. Make contacts/connections where you want to live.

Going along with that, he mentioned a lot of former players who left the state of Utah to play football. Then, when their careers were over, they’d call him looking for a job. He’d tell them he had his own former players to take care of and asked them why they didn’t get jobs at the schools they played for? The players said they wanted to live in Utah. He then asked them, “why do you leave then?”

Junior Angulo. No one knows why he signed with Texas. One of the hosts wondered if he’d be back playing for Utah sooner than later. Especially since the coach he signed up to play for is gone already.

They talked about Lenny Gomes. McBride said a few years after his statement, Gomes called looking for a job. McBride said he politely turned him down.

Also, side note, I’ve always been told that Grimes is now a multimillionaire living the high life. What I could find is that he is a football coach down south. Not a bad career at all, but a lot closer to what he was mocking than not. Interesting.

All in all, not the prettiest sounding production but a lot of good info and stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    They talked about Lenny Gomes. McBride said a few years after his statement, Gomes called looking for a job. McBride said he politely turned him down.
    This story gives me great satisfaction.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

"I came looking for a job but I get no offers. Just a come on from" . . . never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This story gives me great satisfaction.
    This has been common knowledge for some time. Maybe hearing it again gives you great satisfaction?
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 03-03-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...50-196325.html

They’ve done it again....reprinted the U’s press release with Liz name on the byline.

And this meet was at Zona, so they had people available.

Haven't visited this thread in a while until today. But it hit me after seeing this for the second time -- Liz is the perfect writer for U. gym away meets. They almost never lose, so Liz's emphasis on the winning team isn't really an issue. And they probably don't have to pay her, since what she's doing is already part and parcel of her job. Let's see if they continue this at nationals -- that will put this theory to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I figured Tom would be let go after his year was up. Like LA said, really nice guy but overmatched when it comes to trying to make a show in this market. He did ok overcoming the Donnie Tillman slip up and he handled the Troy Williams goof poorly.

If I were the powers that be at 700, I would let Kyle fly solo for a few months and then go back to syndicated programming. That, or I would pony up the money and bring in some real talent. Thats risky because of how dominating 1280 has been since the pseudo-merger with 1320 in 2012 and I am not sure who could really break that up. Paying peanuts for low talent hasn't paid off. If youre content with being second fiddle, it may be smarter to just go syndicated and let Bill be the "Utes guy" and make it that way.

I know my good friends Sully and Utah will disagree but after listening to Ben Anderson and Andy Larsen on the Salt City Hoops show, I really hope Ben doesn't go back to babysitting Kyle during the afternoons. With Andy, he is freed up to actually talk basketball and its usually a really good show with humor and solid analysis unlike anything else at 700.
    I'm out of the business now, have been for a while. I've shared some of this before. It's worth sharing again.

700 could never do a morning show because, as an ESPN Radio affiliate, they were forced to carry Mike and Mike. That show no longer exists. But I've got to imagine there are still contractual obligations 700 has to fulfill for being an ESPN Radio affiliate.

The ESPN Radio affiliate I worked for had two daily local shows -- mornings from 6-9 a.m. and afternoons from 2-5 p.m. Obviously, we carried syndicated programming for five hours in between, but I can't remember exactly who at that time. If you think 700's "problems" could be solved by ditching their relationship with ESPN Radio, let me be very clear: That would be a horrible mistake. If the media junkies here want the explanation, I'll provide it, but it's not really necessary to this discussion.

The morning guy was the voice of our station. He anchored the limited WSU programming we could carry (coaches shows, pre-game shows, mostly. No basketball or baseball.). He was also our top ad seller. He's went from that job to doing afternoon drive for an ESPN Radio affiliate in Charlotte, and is now their director of sales. I suspect he's got another jump or two in him if he wants to pursue it. When taking into consideration who stays and who goes, remember this: If you can sell air-time and be a semi-credible voice in sports, you're gonna be employed for a very long time in markets like SLC. (Our afternoon guy also sold airtime, but didn't have nearly the plum deals and had to work a lot harder to make it work financially. He's no longer working at that station, either)

Riley probably doesn't have to sell, but he's a fool if he isn't. He's leaving money on the table. He's not cold-calling businesses -- you can be damn sure about that -- but he could definitely be called on to close deals and is probably "gifted" accounts that have been with 700 for a long time. He's as untouchable now as Marcroft was in his prime. He's also probably counted on to call some shots within 700 regarding personnel matters. He arguably has the best gig in sports in Salt Lake City across all mediums. (If I had to put forth a top 5, I'd have Riley, Wrubell, Monson and the two Daves -- James and Locke -- but that's strictly gleaned from observation from afar.)

(As an aside, if Riley is selling airtime, I wouldn't be surprised if his salary is high 5-figures. He might even crack 6-figures, but not for just doing play-by-play. Nonetheless, that's outstanding for a market like SLC).

In a market like SLC, at a station that doesn't dominate ratings, you're gonna have to sell if you're gonna be on-air. Only in truly major markets can you be exclusively talent and not have to sell. 700 appears to be willing to give anyone a shot at proving themselves (witness the revolving door in the early afternoon time slot), but a year is certainly long enough to determine whether or not someone can sink or swim. As someone who was an unmitigated disaster at selling airtime, you can fake it for about 6-9 months, and your station will carry you for that time, but eventually, if you're not booking airtime, you're on your way out. It's impossible to fake that element of the job, and your "expert analysis" isn't making the station money.

Y'all can hate on Gunther, but my observation is that has to be selling and closing deals, and a lot of them. He wasn't unemployed for long once 1320 ceased operations, which made any non-compete he may have signed null and void. 700 jumped at the chance to give him a shot, and since he's still there after a year, it's almost a guarantee he's bringing something to the table in terms of revenue/ad sales.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 03-03-2018 at 11:07 AM.

I'm out of the business now, have been for a while. I've shared some of this before. It's worth sharing again.

700 could never do a morning show because, as an ESPN Radio affiliate, they were forced to carry Mike and Mike. That show no longer exists. But I've got to imagine there are still contractual obligations 700 has to fulfill for being an ESPN Radio affiliate.

The ESPN Radio affiliate I worked for had two daily local shows -- mornings from 6-9 a.m. and afternoons from 2-5 p.m. Obviously, we carried syndicated programming for five hours in between, but I can't remember exactly who at that time. If you think 700's "problems" could be solved by ditching their relationship with ESPN Radio, let me be very clear: That would be a horrible mistake. If the media junkies here want the explanation, I'll provide it, but it's not really necessary to this discussion.

The morning guy was the voice of our station. He anchored the limited WSU programming we could carry (coaches shows, pre-game shows, mostly. No basketball or baseball.). He was also our top ad seller. He's went from that job to doing afternoon drive for an ESPN Radio affiliate in Charlotte, and is now their director of sales. I suspect he's got another jump or two in him if he wants to pursue it. When taking into consideration who stays and who goes, remember this: If you can sell air-time and be a semi-credible voice in sports, you're gonna be employed for a very long time in markets like SLC. (Our afternoon guy also sold airtime, but didn't have nearly the plum deals and had to work a lot harder to make it work financially. He's no longer working at that station, either)

Riley probably doesn't have to sell, but he's a fool if he isn't. He's leaving money on the table. He's not cold-calling businesses -- you can be damn sure about that -- but he could definitely be called on to close deals and is probably "gifted" accounts that have been with 700 for a long time. He's as untouchable now as Marcroft was in his prime. He's also probably counted on to call some shots within 700 regarding personnel matters. He arguably has the best gig in sports in Salt Lake City across all mediums. (If I had to put forth a top 5, I'd have Riley, Wrubell, Monson and the two Daves -- James and Locke -- but that's strictly gleaned from observation from afar.)

(As an aside, if Riley is selling airtime, I wouldn't be surprised if his salary is high 5-figures. He might even crack 6-figures, but not for just doing play-by-play. Nonetheless, that's outstanding for a market like SLC).

In a market like SLC, at a station that doesn't dominate ratings, you're gonna have to sell if you're gonna be on-air. Only in truly major markets can you be exclusively talent and not have to sell. 700 appears to be willing to give anyone a shot at proving themselves (witness the revolving door in the early afternoon time slot), but a year is certainly long enough to determine whether or not someone can sink or swim. As someone who was an unmitigated disaster at selling airtime, you can fake it for about 6-9 months, and your station will carry you for that time, but eventually, if you're not booking airtime, you're on your way out. It's impossible to fake that element of the job, and your "expert analysis" isn't making the station money.

Y'all can hate on Gunther, but my observation is that has to be selling and closing deals, and a lot of them. He wasn't unemployed for long once 1320 ceased operations, which made any non-compete he may have signed null and void. 700 jumped at the chance to give him a shot, and since he's still there after a year, it's almost a guarantee he's bringing something to the table in terms of revenue/ad sales.
    I love the insight from someone who has been there and done that. However, I will say that Gunther still has until early June before his one year is up.

I don't have the data, nor would I know where to look but I'd be willing to bet that based on their lineup, fox sports radio has more listeners than ESPN radio these days. 1280 has that locked up too.

Sports Media (local and national)

This has been common knowledge for some time. Maybe hearing it again gives you great satisfaction?
    I’d never heard it before. (BTW, it will probably give me great satisfaction every time I hear it again in the future.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-03-2018 at 01:43 PM.

--Yeats

Riley is the station manager too, not just on air talent. He has got to make well into six-figures, and he must get paid separately as the voice of the Utes and RSL (radio). He does a lot of promotions during his show--mostly lunch food and local craft beers that he pumps as he eats. I would be surprised if he is selling air time, except at a very high level, like networking.

My son interned for Gunther and Hackett last year, and Sean O'Connell before that. He really liked O'Connell and Hackett.

The station has prety much conceded the Jazz to 1280, and is creating a niche as the Ute station most of the time. It must be a very low budget operation.

It looks like Checketts just went on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Riley is the station manager too, not just on air talent. He has got to make well into six-figures, and he must get paid separately as the voice of the Utes and RSL (radio). He does a lot of promotions during his show--mostly lunch food and local craft beers that he pumps as he eats. I would be surprised if he is selling air time, except at a very high level, like networking.

My son interned for Gunther and Hackett last year, and Sean O'Connell before that. He really liked O'Connell and Hackett.

The station has prety much conceded the Jazz to 1280, and is creating a niche as the Ute station most of the time. It must be a very low budget operation.
    The GM at my station handled all national accounts, because ad agencies at that level only take calls from senior level management. I'm sure Bill is on the same kind of gravy train.

Yeah, Bill is making well into six figures with that job description, further solidifying my belief he's got the best job in sports across all mediums in the state.

If I had to work with Monson every day I would drink too.

It looks like Checketts just went on sale.

Does Checketts' dad still have an ownership stake in ESPN 700? Does dad throw son a lifeline as Spence comes full circle and becomes Gunther's new cohost (until Gunther gets canned)?

I'll be curious to see what 1280 does with the drive show. I won't listen to it as long as Monson is involved but I'll still be curious to see what direction they go. Do they bring someone new in to pair with Monson or do they bring someone from a different show (Scott Gerrard, Jake Scott?) and then have a ripple effect through several of their shows?