Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I think a good chunk of our fanbase would rate as "enthusiastic" Ute fans. They'll watch the games, they'll buy the tickets, they'll travel well, they'll buy merchandise and they're a little more patient than most -- present company on this board excluded. But we're far from being "rabid" and that extends to absorbing everything about the sport. They'll listen to games on radio (ours don't) and call in to STR shows (Gunther gives the best example that ours don't). We're a far more valuable television property in Utah than radio, and that'll probably be that way for some time.
    The advantage BYU has is a fan base that sees BYU athletics as an extension of their religion, in a way that no other religious school does. Most other sports fans -- like Utah fans -- just enjoy cheering for their beloved teams. I'm not saying this to mock BYU fans; it's just a reality, and in its own way it is an advantage for BYU that offsets some of the disadvantages of being a church school.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-25-2014 at 10:38 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The advantage BYU has is a fan base that sees BYU athletics as an extension of their religion, in a way that no other religious school does. Most other sports fans -- like Utah fans -- just enjoy cheering for their beloved teams. I'm not saying this to mock BYU fans; it's just a reality, and in its own way it is an advantage for BYU that offsets some of the disadvantages of being a church school.
    Nailed it.

I also think that part of it is we see how some BYU fans make fools of themselves, and I know I just don't want to come off looking like that.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-25-2014 at 10:38 AM.