Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Sports Media (local and national)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He was doing the ksl stuff before ESPN700

And yeah, Dolce did TV and radio appearances the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had no idea. Shows you what a guy like me misses by not living in Utah and never listening to KSL radio.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I was hoping that Mitchell would be on 700 more during the week with bill. I really like Mitchell’s perspective.

I've had to listen to more games this year than ever before, and I normally enjoy Bill, Scott and Tom. But Saturday's game was not one of the group's finest moments. Bill had to correct himself so many times in the booth, I thought the least he could do was pay homage to Bill Marcroft and say "Check it," before each of his corrections. Their analysis of the targeting call and passing on a 60-yard FG before halftime was right up Fanboy Alley. Mitchell has gotten better at describing coverages, especially when Utah is on defense, but still sounds cliched in spots. Hackett had one great bit of insight on ASU's missed FG, but needs to get better about conveying Really Important Information from the sidelines more concisely and descriptively.

Circumstances forced me to listen to most of Saturday's game before suffering through the recording later. I agree on the initial targeting call--they made it sound like the most egregious call of all time. Now, in my biased opinion I think when a defender is visibly trying to let up (as our guy appeared to be) he shouldn't be punished. But that is how they've been calling it and based on the rule and the general interpretation that wasn't that bad of a call.

I was getting frustrated because when Utah was on defense Bill would rarely say which Utah player made a tackle unless it was a TFL or big stop. At times I had to wonder whether Chase Hansen was even playing because I never heard who made the tackle on most running plays.

Bill and Scott are still working on their chemistry, as is the production team. There was a moment in saturday's game where Bill took it to break, but then you could still hear their conversation for a good 5-6 seconds before the commercials kicked on. I have noticed a few wrubellian moments from them where they will be beside themselves over a call.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Bill and Scott are still working on their chemistry, as is the production team. There was a moment in saturday's game where Bill took it to break, but then you could still hear their conversation for a good 5-6 seconds before the commercials kicked on. I have noticed a few wrubellian moments from them where they will be beside themselves over a call.
    "Wrubellian" - lol classic

hmmmm ... Spence Checkets coming back to ESPN 700

https://twitter.com/espn700bill/stat...40482832871424

Spence is actually very good IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    hmmmm ... Spence Checkets coming back to ESPN 700

https://twitter.com/espn700bill/stat...40482832871424

Spence is actually very good IMO
    I might actually listen now. I like listening to a conversation/discussion and not a monologue. Glad that Bill is giving Spence a fourth, fifth...? second chance.

Spence just launched a new podcast. I think its just a call in interview/promo and bill is doing a throwback for old times sake.

So Gunther and Ben are toast?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So Gunther and Ben are toast?
    Still around, im guessing until next year when their contracts are up. Spence might become a once a week segment with Bill, but hes not coming on full time right now.

Still around, im guessing until next year when their contracts are up. Spence might become a once a week segment with Bill, but hes not coming on full time right now.
    That makes more sense given the circumstances.

So this whole ESPN 700 v 1280 the zone, Porter Larsen vs Gordon Monson thing has been fun to follow.......

The tl;dr version..........Monson wrote a column about Troy Taylor being pushed out (according to Gordon's sources), Troy was interviewed on 700 by Ben Anderson and Larsen wherein he refuted just about everything Monson had said, without mentioning the column. Larsen took to twitter to critique the column, saying it was essentially wrong and that Monson only occasionally is seen up on the hill talking to players and coaches, while Larsen is there everyday. Lloyd Cole (1280 program director) and Austin Horton took to twitter to fire back at Larsen (which he turned right around with some excellent GIFs). Jake Scott and Gordon Monson spent the opening segment of the big show yesterday to rip on Larsen, calling him a "punk kid".

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am light years away from any of this, but I know Monson well enough to know he doesn't know anything about anything. Not one single thing about any single topic. It's amazing that he gets paid to discuss sports.
    Agreed, 110%. The only beneficial thing he has brought to Utah sports is the quote aimed at him from Boylen, “Nice of you to show up!”

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am light years away from any of this, but I know Monson well enough to know he doesn't know anything about anything. Not one single thing about any single topic. It's amazing that he gets paid to discuss sports.
    To me what’s most repulsive about him is that he seems so cynical — he seems to know exactly what he’s doing, that he’s lazy and that he makes his living by stirring up controversy without regard to whether what he says is even true.

--Yeats

Update: Lloyd Cole, the program director of 1280, apologized for his tweets in what was a decent (if clearly employer mandated) apology. However, he kept the offending tweets up............

Jake and Gordo had a segment at the bottom of the first hour of their show yesterday where they led off with an audio clip of Spence Eccles saying he enjoyed and agreed with Gordon's column. They then spent some time flexing about how that proves that Gordon was right. They then acknowledged that they had gone too far in how they went after Porter Larsen and apologized. Gordon mentioned that he had left a voicemail for porter too, but wanted to publicly apologize. They then went right back to flexing and talking about how they were right. My favorite part was that Gordon said, essentially, "In the past, people close to and involved in the Utes football program have played me and everybody else. But you need to believe me about this because my sources are close to and in the Utes football program". (Hes referring to the Whitt to BYU saga of a few years ago).

Several folks on twitter brought up the time our old pal comrade crimson got him to report a fake hiring to replace urban.

I am going to go ahead and stick with the reports of a guy who spends nearly every day around the team over a columnist who doesn't show up much and has a history of trolling.

Gordon Monson is a former neighbor of mine. I would put zero credence in anything he says ever, and that has nothing to do with sports reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Gordon Monson is a former neighbor of mine. I would put zero credence in anything he says ever, and that has nothing to do with sports reporting.

I feel like theres more here.........

Update: Lloyd Cole, the program director of 1280, apologized for his tweets in what was a decent (if clearly employer mandated) apology. However, he kept the offending tweets up............

Jake and Gordo had a segment at the bottom of the first hour of their show yesterday where they led off with an audio clip of Spence Eccles saying he enjoyed and agreed with Gordon's column. They then spent some time flexing about how that proves that Gordon was right. They then acknowledged that they had gone too far in how they went after Porter Larsen and apologized. Gordon mentioned that he had left a voicemail for porter too, but wanted to publicly apologize. They then went right back to flexing and talking about how they were right. My favorite part was that Gordon said, essentially, "In the past, people close to and involved in the Utes football program have played me and everybody else. But you need to believe me about this because my sources are close to and in the Utes football program". (Hes referring to the Whitt to BYU saga of a few years ago).

Several folks on twitter brought up the time our old pal comrade crimson got him to report a fake hiring to replace urban.

I am going to go ahead and stick with the reports of a guy who spends nearly every day around the team over a columnist who doesn't show up much and has a history of trolling.

I followed that on twitter a bit, and thought Porter Larson owned them. He was right to call them out, and they were childish to attack him personally, which i took to be an admission that Larson was correct.

Finally got around to reading the piece, and there's one of two conclusions I can draw: Monson's insistence that Troy was being forced out is coming from someone who is intimately involved with Kyle in running the program, or is completely made up out of thin air. Not much room for in-between here, unless the aforementioned source is just clueless and overstating things.

My theory is, is when someone provides dirt, but doesn't want their name attached to it, that they will appear later in the story as a quoted source (It's my .02 this happened with Chris Hill and the Oregonian's takedown of the league and Larry Scott). Gary's also not at Utah anymore, and has a documented past about being chatty with sports writers. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the "according to ..." Monson mentions at the top of the piece.

Just about everything else is stuff that's been said before ... except now we've flat-out conceded that the offense that we run has Kyle as its architect. There's no speculation as to whether Kyle sticks his nose in the offense's business -- he's neck-deep in making it known what he wants done and how it should be done.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 12-21-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Finally got around to reading the piece, and there's one of two conclusions I can draw: Monson's insistence that Troy was being forced out is coming from someone who is intimately involved with Kyle in running the program, or is completely made up out of thin air. Not much room for in-between here, unless the aforementioned source is just clueless and overstating things.
    I guarantee it is the latter, and this isn't a defense of Kyle, it is a condemnation of Monson's journalistic and personal integrity.

I guarantee it is the latter, and this isn't a defense of Kyle, it is a condemnation of Monson's journalistic and personal integrity.
    Monson doesn't have free reign to drop the "according to sources" line without telling his editor who his sources are, or at the very least with the understanding he has to provide an answer when his editor asks.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Monson doesn't have free reign to drop the "according to sources" line without telling his editor who his sources are, or at the very least with the understanding he has to provide an answer when his editor asks.
    Well apparently it is a low bar when at times his claimed "sources" were Mr Crimson on UFN.

I'll put it this way, I'll put more stock in what a guy like Larsen says who has put in the legwork and has the relationships with the program over Monson and his highly questionable track record. I can't recall a time a journalist has outright called out another journalist like that.

This is a guy who did this in the past and then when proved wrong stated it was how he imagined it.

Well apparently it is a low bar when at times his claimed "sources" were Mr Crimson on UFN.

I'll put it this way, I'll put more stock in what a guy like Larsen says who has put in the legwork and has the relationships with the program over Monson and his highly questionable track record. I can't recall a time a journalist has outright called out another journalist like that.

This is a guy who did this in the past and then when proved wrong stated it was how he imagined it.

The Tom Anstutz instance — which was brilliant — never appeared in print. It was something Monson blurted out on his moonlighting gig on STR. There’s a massive difference in the standards applied between print and STR. Hell, I even once fell for “fake news” during the great expansion days of 2011 while doing my radio gig. Fortunately, we got it corrected by the time we went to commercial.

Didn't Monson print a story about when 5*, future All-American Phil Indablank signed?

The N.Y. Times on the Pac-12's financial situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/s...gtype=Homepage

This was nice:
    [. . .] the league, which houses the traditional power Southern California and more recent contenders like Stanford, Oregon and Utah.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quite a saga.

Spence Checketts' reality check: Rebuilding his life and career while helping others affected by addiction after DUI

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/....html?user=app

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Quite a saga.

Spence Checketts' reality check: Rebuilding his life and career while helping others affected by addiction after DUI

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/....html?user=app
    Checketts' is fortunate. My most recent LDS Church assignment was to serve with my wife as a sponsor for women incarcerated in the Atherton Treatment Facility, a halfway house of sorts for women trying to overcome addiction. It is a difficult situation. Most of these women have little or no education or training, have little or inadequate family support and are fighting many physical, mental and emotional issues in addition to addiction. They are required to be employed while in the Center and most leave the center after 3 to 6 months. Unfortunately, as a result of limited education and skills, they are stuck in $10-12 an hour jobs and in overpriced housing. One of our last women, was released shortly before having a baby. She wasn't ready, but the State did not want to pay for her having the baby. She was placed in an unfurnished studio apartment on State Street where she paid $800 per month plus utilities. She walked a little over a mile each way to her job at a Maverick. I have very little hope for her or her little girl. We love stories about people who pick themselves up with their bootstraps and make a successful comeback. This is difficult to do, however, when you lack both boots and bootstraps. I don't know how we address the issue of addiction, poverty and lack of education. The problem is growing. We throw money at it but at the same time drastically reduce mental healthcare.

That was a pretty good article. Thanks for the link.

is there a consensus on Scott Mitchell calling Ute Football games on the radio? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still prefer Dolce. I don't care that he viewed everything through crimson colored glasses or that he was a little goofy/unprofessional. Nothing against Mitchell, but I liked Dolce's passion for all things Utah. It was like watching/listening to a game with a friend.